The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

California legacy license plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure you guys in California know about this already (a quick search didn't pull up any threads), but I thought you'd be interested:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

Essentially, the dmv is bringing back license plate designs from the 50s, 60s, and 70s (the yellow, black, and blue plates). I dont know about you guys, but I think a black plate would look really good on a boss.

Pre-orders are $50 (vanity or random numbers) and I think that extra $50 is tacked on to your reg fees each year as well. The catch is they need 7500 pre-orders before they start production on a particular design. If they don't get enough by the deadline (January 2015) the program dies.

If you want one, print out an app and send it in. And spread the word...the sooner they get 7500 orders, the sooner everyone gets their plates :D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Black plates would be cool for the new owners, and I'd love one on my Boss, but I'm not sure this program was well thought out. I'm not participating unless it looks like it's going through. And I think it takes away from all the cars that actually have original black or blue plates.

You guys are seriously worried about the retro plates taking anything away from a vintage car? That's pretty funny.

I noticed over the past month a 6% increase in the # of plates ordered. At that rate we'll get to the 7500 at the end of this year. I've paid up for my three plates.

DMVPlates_zps30f85da4.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Seriously worried? No. Even a little worried? Nope. ::)

But it *is* my opinion that this would be better left for the cars of the appropriate era.

TMO Supporting Vendors