Calimer

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by gww52, Apr 13, 2019.

1. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

Has anyone here had trouble with a Calimer transmission?
    I received the first one and it looked terrible, greasy inside the bellhousing like it was never cleaned.
    Took a chance and installed it anyway, big mistake, no second gear!
    Got a second one with a damaged input shaft so two that are junk.
    Anyone else had something like this?

2. Nvrfinished

Nvrfinished TMO Advanced

Wow... I've always heard good things about the guy. His transmissions are on my bucket list for when mine eventually needs work or goes out. It sounds like you were sent cores by mistake?

3. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Call Ben and see what he says. Be sure you are talking to Ben directly.
    At my business we have sent out over 20 notices stopping persons from reselling our product, misrepresenting our product and using our copyrighted materials for profit. All internet bottom dwellers taking advantage of us and our legit customers

4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

I got a second Calimer tranny for a friend last year. It too arrived pretty dirty with the magnetic plug full of metal bits etc.. Did not feel very smooth when turned over by hand.... Showed Ben the pics and he was a bit grumpy that we had opened the box up to see inside... My buddy was not happy, but the tranny has been going for about a year now with out any problems..

My Calimer box died long time ago after two hard seasons, but it died before adding a oilcooler.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  5. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

Both of mine were dirty and damaged.

6. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Sure sounds like Ben could use some help in his quality control department.

7. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Intermediate

Man, this is so unfortunate. I have been sticking money away for the day I would need to call Ben... now, I’m not so sure what to do.

Grant 302 likes this.
  8. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

I don’t know Ben but the parts are available and any competent trans shop can do the work. Liberty has the brass shift pads and they make a big difference. I’ve driven a car that had those and some other parts installed by a dealer and it was a huge difference. This is not rocket science.

Mad Hatter and Grant 302 like this.
  9. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Leave the space cadets outta this. I think Tyme is home taking a nap...............:D

Mad Hatter likes this.
  10. Mad Hatter

Too true....The parts are out there... My mechanic rebuilt my last (of many) MT82. Changed out the crappy bearings and added cooling etc. Things like the return line from the oil cooler going to the top of the box to make sure its well lubricated etc.

Grant 302 and VoodooBoss like this.
  11. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Intermediate

Let’s talk about it, then. What does the MT-82 need, from a component standpoint, to become a good and reliable transmission?

Brass shift pads, better bearings... what else?

Madhatter, you said the return line going to the top of the box... where does it normally run into the trans? What other “tricks” are there to making the MT-82 a better trans?

12. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I believe the answer to the MT-82 fix is an upgrade to something better.......sad to say............Mine hasn't bitten me yet.........

13. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Intermediate

Mine is doing great as well, but alas... it’s only got 8,200ish miles on it, and I’m the first person to drive it spiritedly.

The other owners were collectors who did nothing but wipe it with terry cloth. :rolleyes:

14. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Steve runs a car just about as hard as any of us. He is yet to much a MT-82. I believe he adds a cooler and BG fluids. If I remember correctly.

15. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

Clutch - specifically the pressure plate/housing
    Shifter mount mods and/or trans/engine bushing - to help with mis-alignment issues.
    Driver

I'm in the minority on this topic, but I believe there's nothing wrong internally with the MT-82 for N/A applications. It handles the power just fine. I have two of them. Currently my only issue with either is the clutch/pressure plate on the Boss.

Maybe I'll change my opinion on the matter when either of them fail. But for now, I think most can work on their rev matching/heel-toe down shifting. Basically - not forcing the synchros to take the abuse of bad or lazy driving. So far, the one in my GT has handled a fair amount of abuse in the form of power shifting once in a while and even sometimes at the track on 305 slicks. I do rev-match every shift and the GT has almost 28k on the clock. So it would be hard to convince me that the MT-82 is weak internally.

Mad Hatter likes this.
  16. Mad Hatter

I will probably stay with the MT82 since rebuilding is still cheaper then a Tremec kit... that and really dont like the tremec gearing...

Gotten pretty good a swapping trannies jajajaj

Oddly enough the weakest gear is 5th, not one that gets a hard work out at the track

Bill Pemberton, 302BOB and Grant 302 like this.
  17. Grant 302

Nothing wrong with the gearing, just gotta change the rear ratio to make it work.

18. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Intermediate

What gearing do you prefer?

19. Mad Hatter

I went to 3.31 gearing at the rear and with the Mt82 find it fine for our faster tracks. But when I make my tables up with a 3.75 and the Magnum XL seems a little long... Need to see how the new engine works at the track!

Truth be told can't face changing the driveshaft, MGW shifter and clutch.....

Grant 302 likes this.
  20. Grant 302

For whatever track, I generally prefer to top out in 4th. Selection, IMO should always be track and setup specific. Some tracks I need 5th and will use 2 through 5 like at Laguna Seca. Both cars have 3.73s, but I'd probably be happier with 3.55 in the GT and 645 tall slicks.