The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Caliper to wheel clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
CT
I recently started running apex 18x11 wheels on my 14 gt. I run the 6 pot brembos from the s550 pp cars. I have had 2 separate times over the course of 5 track days where a rock has gotten lodged between the caliper and wheel and gouged the wheel. I know a lot of people run this setup so do I just have bad luck or has this happened to any of you guys?

I recently started running apex 18x11 wheels on my 14 gt. I run the 6 pot brembos from the s550 pp cars. I have had 2 separate times over the course of 5 track days where a rock has gotten lodged between the caliper and wheel and gouged the wheel. I know a lot of people run this setup so do I just have bad luck or has this happened to any of you guys?
Stay out of the marbles 😂 It is fairly common, there is normally enough clearance for most track debris but that is very track dependent. On a track with a lot of traffic the rubber balls up and hangs inside the wheel which is a great magnet for gravel. Typically the stone self clearances and moves on but not always. And that's why a post session walk around is mandatory.

Exp. Type
HPDE
CT
Definitely agree on a post session walk around the car. Always amazes me how many people neglect to do that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel