The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Call me Impressed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

While I was doing the new clutch and slave cylinder and waiting on the Ford Racing drive shaft that was on back order. I bought a set on JRI rear coil-overs from Filip at Cortex. I picked up the 1/2 rear sway bar from Watson Racing. Shock tower brace from Cooltech LLC. I ordered the set with 250lbs springs to go with the 348lbs fronts.
That part of the story, my Roush/KW front struts blew out the spring top hats. Big time crack rings on both struts and busted out the center on one of them, had no clue. I found a set of FR500c camber plates on Ebay for cheap new. Ordered the Eibach pro 2 coil over kit from Maximum Motor sports. Now the Fronts work so much better than before.
So back to the set up. Turns out the 250lbs springs are to much wheel rate for the fronts, I tried the Kenny Brown Anti Roll panhard bar. Still not right. I swapped down the 200lbs removed the KB setup and went back to the Ford racing Panhard bar, set the JRI's 40 clicks from soft.. OMG ! It's so good, very balanced it's not the same car I had a Laguna, It's better. Dive and roll are gone, Still running the same wheel rate as with the Maximum springs and the Koni's but it is way more controlled than before and the ride is very street worthy. Now just to save for the fronts...but for now my KW's will have to do..

Very cool. Many complained about the ride on the JRi's but they have a lot of adjustment and you can feel the difference from one setting to the next. I think my car with the CorteX/JRi setup with 450F and 225R springs rode nicer than stock. If you hit a sharp bump you knew the springs were stiffer than stock but for the most part it really rode nice. And then when it was on track the car was hooked up. I'm also a big fan of the CorteX watts link so maybe save for that too. CorteX usually has a Black Friday sale so get ready. ;D

VooDooBOSS said:
I'm also a big fan of the CorteX watts link so maybe save for that too. CorteX usually has a Black Friday sale so get ready. ;D

I tried the Watts about 4 years ago, I had an issue with the rear diff cover always coming lose at the track..Didn't ask Filip how to fix this, I sold it, I might revisit the Watts later though.

With my spring rates/damper settings/fussy clutch and gearing my car rides like a rusty battleship in the paddock but at speed its a graceful gazelle. It's a striking tradeoff but the spring rates don't "do their thing" unless you're going fast. lol. just saying. PS. I'm at like 750F 350R, PH bar, Watson Rear sway. Another thing not to overlook is bushings. When I swapped in the steeda competition upper link, the cars turn in was amazing. Then the upgraded delrhin bushings for the 302s front arms. Again. Amazing difference.

DG#56 said:
With my spring rates/damper settings/fussy clutch and gearing my car rides like a rusty battleship in the paddock but at speed its a graceful gazelle. It's a striking tradeoff but the spring rates don't "do their thing" unless you're going fast. lol. just saying. PS. I'm at like 750F 350R, PH bar, Watson Rear sway. Another thing not to overlook is bushings. When I swapped in the steeda competition upper link, the cars turn in was amazing. Then the upgraded delrhin bushings for the 302s front arms. Again. Amazing difference.

I have no rubber anywhere in my car.. It's nice and tight. Right now I have the Kenny Brown upper control arm with a Steeda Poly in the Axle. I might keep the upper or switch to another. Not sure yet but it's working the way I want it right now. I have been thinking about the Ford Racing front bushings to replace the poly I have now..but it's not a big leap for the money I think.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Remember guys--the function of the damper is to control the spring.
When making adjustments, think about how much you want to let the spring compress or extend in certain situations.

TMO Supporting Vendors