The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Call to action from SEMA for the RPM Act

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Bottom line, Gov wants everyone in a little car that makes no trouble.......What happened to the Yugo?????????????
I know it feels that way, but the government isn't anywhere near that organized or efficient - and there is a lot of turn over with representatives. So even if parts of government (like the EPA and state emissions boards) would like to see us all in smaller cars, the rest of the government is constantly catering to lobbying giants in the automotive and big oil industries - industries that would be negatively affected if we all moved on to small cars. Profit still drives this country and will overrule everything else, including environmental issues to an extent, so their lobbying efforts will be in our favor so long as there is profit to be made.

With that said, automotive enthusiasts as a group don't have the same lobbying power as the big industries, and we can't always rely on being aligned with the big industries' profit models and their lobbying muscle. It's the groups with the least lobbying muscle that tend to get pushed around by regulations. That's why it's important to stay tuned into what SEMA is doing. They have a branch that works on legislation that everyone here should sign up to get alerts from: https://www.semasan.com/

It was that group that helped drive the reversal of a ridiculous exhaust noise law here in CA recently by getting as many people involved to speak out as possible.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Not to change the subject too much but.......Thank You All.

Why?

Because the only politics mentioned and tolerated on TMO is about cars.

My little sanctuary on the inter Web!
Agreed. Topics like this can easily veer off course but it looks like everyone here is able to keep it on track. I’ve always felt communities like this thrive because they don’t get caught up in all the arguments that take place everywhere else online these days. FB can have all of that. :)

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Some don't want to get it.
Too many folks are making cash on the net by stirring the pot on the Ole Interweb. Sad really
Well, there are those who don't understand our fascination with the automobile, and then there are those who exploit headlines and make money from all the chaos online - sometimes those two groups overlap. But I was talking more about the masses who don't understand the therapeutic effects of the automobile and the positive aspects of the car culture. Many of the people who would like to see more regulations or laws that would prohibit things like home-made race cars or aftermarket modifications simply don't get it and, just like with everything else, they want to do away with those things they don't understand, or things that are not important to them. It's human nature. We just need to continue to be advocates for car culture and help the naysayers learn more about the positives our culture has on society. That and be aware of any new laws being proposed that threaten our culture. SEMA can help with that.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Not sure what percentage of our population modify their cars for the street, strip or track and I think it's a growing number but still it's gotta be a very small number and in the grand scheme of things, does extremely little harm to the environment. I can think of a hundred other things the EPA should go after. And I have no idea the job impact of this not passing, on all the aftermarket race part companies out there but that aspect is often overlooked.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
....agreed Tyme, as so often the aftermarket companies not only offer fun changes , but in many instances make corrections or improve upon the Manufacturer's build. Perfect example would be MGW and their short throw shift kits making a huge change in the rather contentious MT-82. With tire wear a problem for track enthusiasts another clear cut mod would be the Vorschlag Camber plates. These may not seem related to EPA requirements but the concern is that the Law is vague and could encompass items that really assist the vehicle without really compromising anything. Typical all or nothing laws done without any regard for many of the nuances of a group ( aftermarket ) encompassing a zillion different areas.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Not sure what percentage of our population modify their cars for the street, strip or track and I think it's a growing number but still it's gotta be a very small number and in the grand scheme of things, does extremely little harm to the environment. I can think of a hundred other things the EPA should go after. And I have no idea the job impact of this not passing, on all the aftermarket race part companies out there but that aspect is often overlooked.
Agreed, and SEMA does their best to communicate this to law makers. But the industries where the EPA could make bigger impacts on emissions have bigger lobbying budgets and can fight against regulation, even if they are far worse polluters. It’s easier for the EPA to target the individual than businesses. And even more so when what they’re targeting is considered to be for hobby purposes.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
A letter from one of the Senators in the great state of Colorado. Looks nice but still leaves me thinking it's a form(template) letter just the same.

Dear Mr. Linkevich,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2019 (S. 2602). I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, S. 2602 would exempt vehicles used solely for competition from the Environmental Protection Agency’s emissions standards under the Clean Air Act. The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2019 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Although I am not a member of this committee, I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come before the Senate floor.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

MBsigT.png

Michael F. Bennet
United States Senator

Unless our Reps have a true interest in Go cars and racing, I doubt they may have a real concern for what's going on...I hope I'm wrong.......In the old days, it was tyme to lock and load to get some attention..........

A non-committal response......I'll have to watch and see how he actually votes.

EDWARD J. MARKEY
MASSACHUSETTS

255 DIRKSEN SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON, DC 20510
(202) 224-2742

United States Senate January 9, 2020

Dear Normand:

Thank you for contacting about the importance of Motorsports and racing. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue. Recreational activities are important to all Americans, and our country has a proud automotive heritage. Senator Burr introduced the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act (S. 2602) on October 16, 2019, which would address your concern regarding the application of the Clean Air Act. The bill was referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am a member. I will continue to monitor this legislation as it moves forward
Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. To sign up for my newsletter, visit http://www.markey.senate.gov/newsletter. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Sincerely,

picture

Edward J. Markey
United States Senator

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
From my Congressman.

3A%2F%2Fkinzinger.house.gov%2Fimages%2Fak_banner.2.jpg

January 10, 2020

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the regulation of motorsports. By hearing your thoughts and concerns on the issues, I am better able to serve you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In 2015, the EPA proposed regulation to make the act of converting a motor vehicle into a race car illegal if the emissions system is taken out of compliance from its factory configuration. This would also include vehicles used solely at the track. If finalized, the rule would effectively prohibit the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles. The ban would not, however, impact purpose-built race cars, such as those used in NASCAR, nor would it apply to "nonroad vehicles," such as dirt bikes, ATVs or snowmobiles exclusively for racing.

At this time, this proposed rule has not been finalized; however, Congressman Patrick McHenry introduced H.R. 5434, Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act to block attempts by the EPA to regulate modified motor vehicles used for racing. You will be pleased to know that I am a co-sponsor of this bill.

As a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over the EPA, I take seriously the responsibility to conduct congressional oversight over this agency to ensure that their actions remain in the best interest of the 16th District of Illinois. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should legislation regarding this regulation come before me for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. Please do not hesitate to contact me if my office can be of assistance to you on any issue of importance.
Sincerely,

Adam Kinzinger
Member of Congress

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Somewhat late response from one of my Senators.

I guess it's good but the wording to make sure it doesn't apply to "standard street vehicles" has me concerned. How works a vehicle with a VIN now converted to track only be covered?

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency's regulation of emissions from converted racecars. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina introduced S. 2602, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act, in the U.S. Senate on October 16, 2019. I am a cosponsor of this legislation.
S. 2602 would prohibit the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from regulating emission controls on vehicles used solely for competition. This legislation was referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am not a member. Should this legislation reach the full Senate for consideration, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

I understand that some Pennsylvanians have concerns that this legislation could affect the ability of the EPA to enforce against manufacturers of defeat devices designed to override vehicle pollution controls. I cosponsored this legislation with the understanding that it was narrowly focused and applied solely to the amateur racing industry. I am working with my fellow Senators to modify this legislation so that the EPA retains the authority to ensure these devices are not used on standard street vehicles. Please be assured that I am following this issue closely and will keep your views in mind should the Senate consider this legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I keep seeing this line or something like it:

"...regulating emission controls on vehicles used solely for competition..."

I read these responses to mean that they'll make a carve-out for converting regular street cars into non-street legal race cars whose sole purpose is to compete. They'll still go after the majority of us who have dual-purpose street cars that aren't solely for competition use that like to add things like superchargers or whatever. Basically, if it's not specifically labeled CARB/50 state-legal it will likely be illegal. I don't really know what that'll change as I'm not familiar enough with the standards, but I wouldn't get too excited by the responses.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel