The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Camaro 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So now the Boss gets beat by another camaro. Either the driver of the LS referenced in this article was slow, or the camaros are that good. No magic shocks or HP advantage here. Hmmm.

Check out: " Watch Chevy's Camaro 1LE lap VIR in 2:58:34"-

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/30/watch-chevys-camaro-1le-lap-vir-in-2-58-34/

Great drive, by one of the development team guys.

I'm thinking no one else will be able to duplicate that time................

Let's see the lap time with no race seat, and no harness to hold him in place.

Boss_302 said:
Great drive, by one of the development team guys.

I'm thinking no one else will be able to duplicate that time................

Let's see the lap time with no race seat, and no harness to hold him in place.

Yea, I'm beginning to think some of these times GM is putting down at VIR with the Camaros are with "ringer" cars. it's hard to believe with just a few suspension upgrades that tank will beat a Boss by that much. I do still think those massive front tires are the key to both new Camaros. A 285 front.......really???!!

We need to see a side by side comparison on the same day with the same driver in a production car and then I'll believe it.

Ok well I personally claim it is bogus. I owned the badest camaro 2ss with every option you can get 50,000 dollar pkg and it could never keep up with the boss not even close in fact, at our local dragstrip the older 4.6 gt's are kicking their ass. but on a track NO WAY not even a chance. When I first drove the Boss I did not get 100 yards and said damn this thing will kick My camaro's butt and kinda pissed me off that gov motors is selling them for that price. Maybe someone should start a grudge match say a couple of go pros, a track, one camaro, one boss, not a magazine just two guys from the streets that go to find out the truth::)

Here's my prediction back in late 2009, a new 2010 Camaro SS was at Daytona, this track is a horsepower track lots of room to strech a cars top end. I was driving a 2006 Mustang GT with 300 HP to the new Camaro SS with 426 HP.

Watch this video here we go past the start finish, I just wasn't transported there...............we go through the infield and as we go back onto the banking the Camaro driver lets me by.................

Two average guys on track.

The Camaro 1LE? same basic engine as back in 2009.

Better suspension tuning, yes.

Better/Bigger tires, yes.....Will I get by one? Unless the driver isn't better than me.......Yes I will........the GM video has a great driver driving at 10/10ths.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yrTR0C3BW8[/youtube]​

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We have no idea what tires are on the car, though we already know they took the license to put in harness belts , etc. Since I know quite a few guys who have run at VIR, the differences with their own cars when it is super humid and hot, a cool , crisp Spring or Fall day, is often 2-3 seconds over the long track.

We have no idea when the 1LE was run , or the others for that fact, but GM is always astute on marketing , and they played all the cards to their favor -- including not divulging all the information of when run and on what?

The seat/harness and what looks like a bar in back gives one an idea that this car was prepped well beyond factory stock, so the skepticism is there.

With more HP and less weight, I will take the logical choice that heads up stock, a Boss will rule the day.

The Physics don't add up for the 1LE to beat a Boss LS. The Camaro is heavier and has less HP. Fat tires and suspension won't make up for these two shortcomings. I don't buy it.

This headline sums it up for me

http://jalopnik.com/5930243/camaro-1le-sets-a-25834-lap-at-vir-but-does-anyone-care

I don't care even if it is faster, it is hideous

jimprw said:
The Physics don't add up for the 1LE to beat a Boss LS. The Camaro is heavier and has less HP. Fat tires and suspension won't make up for these two shortcomings. I don't buy it.

You are 100% correct. The camaro even after a tune is not even close to how aggressive the Boss is.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
haha. Built with our tax dollars...whole thing just makes me mad. Can't wait for all the stupid arguments this will create over the internets. ::)

But it will be nice to pass one at the track, one average Joe to another. ;D

So this oughta piss you off - Camaro 1LE

http://jalopnik.com/5931109/camaro-1le-around-the-block?comment=51498915

First of all why do they compare it with the LS instead of the regular Boss which is obviously the logical comparator and where the pricing is much closer. Then they go onto proclaim it 4.5 seconds faster around some track noone has heard of. The regular SS is a pig and we're supposed to believe that upgrading the shocks and roll bars suddenly turned it into a track animal. Now I know what you're thinking, yea but they also painted the hood black and the brakes red and that's good for at l-e-a-s-t 3 seconds a lap right? Well maybe on that first lap (because red IS a really fast color) but I'm pretty sure those SS brakes weren't up to the task of extended lapping in the regular Camaro so after it qualifies P1 in GT2 at LeMans next year how is it going to finish the race? It's like these idiots just take the press pack and regurgitate it verbatim with total disregard for the laws of physics. The Boss isn't the only victim either - "it is faster at Virginia International Raceway than a 2009 Audi R8 V10". Oh really? With who driving? Bob Lutz's mother at the helm of the Audi? Give me a break......

Re: So this oughta piss you off - Camaro 1LE

Please save us the headach and do not post gov motors bull on here aren't we paying them enough ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors