The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

camber plate fitment issue and needing castor advice - track use only.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi, car is a 2005. 18*11 wheels, slicks, track only. Spherical bearings dont fit my mixing and matching of parts.

The Struts on the car ( determined to be about 630lb springs ) came with a camber plate , the old plate does not have castor adjustment. The plate is also not adjustable with the struts in the car, PITA. So I ordered a set of maximum motorsports camber\caster plates through Kenny Brown.

The sleeves that came with the struts are 18mm outside diamter, and the end is tapered . The new spherical bearing is 16mm ID. So I would be left with a very thin sleeve and it would be hard to machine it my friend told me.

So the camber plates that came on the car will not let me put in more castor, which its been mentioned to do. I guess I could try to dial in camber and then just live with it set , I'm on 2 different tracks and they are very different.
Do I want to be able to dial in more castor than stock? With my race setup if stock castor is good, I might use the old camber plates.

Or I try to machine the sleeves, which are NLA if I bugger them up. I searched and I cant find a perfect fit for bearings, found a skf and they will have a bit of play on both the OD and ID. Im not sure they will fit the c-clip that holds them in as the skf bearings are 12mm tall and the new setup has 11mm for bearing height. They are not cheap, $90 a piece locally and I dont know if the play that I will have will be a issue or the height will prevent me from installing them.

Open to suggestions.
Thanks

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Do I want to be able to dial in more castor than stock? With my race setup if stock castor is good, I might use the old camber plates.
Open to suggestions.
Thanks
As Kenny would have said you need as much positive caster as possible. However it's the least important factor in the car so even leaving it as is shouldn't be a big deal in your case. If I ware you I wouldn't bother with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors