The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Camber plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would love to see some camber plate comparison between the leading brands.

Maximum motorsports
Steeda
Cortex
Vorshlag

Plate thickness and material
Bearing size and material
Adjustment and limits
Rebuildable or bearing replacement
Country of origin

Go for it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
modernbeat said:
Ha! I got banned for answering your post on the 6th Gen forum.

With moderator approval I'll answer the questions in a dry and technical way.

I'm pretty sure your post would be fine with us as-was. 8)

I think I upset more people when I think I'm being dry and technical. ;)

Jason, when your plates are available, I'm ready to purchase. After reading what you put into the design and manufacturing I'm sold. Thank you for taking the time with me on the phone. I appreciate your time sir.
Scott.

Okay then. Here's the skinny on our plates. We make two plates in many configurations for the S550 and S197.

First, the S197.

Plate thickness and material: For the S197 we use 0.300" thick heat treated alloy aluminum plate. The bearing holder has a 0.250 steel flange for additional strength and the top ring (which provides a smooth surface to adjust against) is also 0.250" plate. We have it hard anodized. The steel bearing holder and top ring components are nickle plated. The remainder of the components (bolt rings and adapter spools) are yellow zinc plated. The caster bolts are stainless (chosen after many trials) and the main studs are steel (so they could be welded to the bolt ring) with yellow zinc plating.

Bearing size and material: We use a huge Teflon lined spherical bearing with about 2.5 square inches of surface contact between the spherical and the race. Our spherical bearing is rated for 7730lbs EACH! We also have a separate sealed radial bearing in the spring perch. It's rated for 4700 lbs. The two bearings divide the movement between them allowing the spherical to last much longer than it normally would. This lower bearing is necessary because we make our own upper perches for 2.25", 60mm, 2.5" and OEM diameter springs.
We're so proud of our big bearings that we made a page just on their specs. http://www.vorshlag.com/sphericalbearing.php

Adjustment and limits: There is 0.7953" of caster adjustment and 0.8113" of camber adjustment in the plate. But, the plate is usually not the limiting factor. The opening in the strut tower is. For people that need four degrees of negative camber AND nine degrees of caster, we trim the strut top opening.

Rebuildable or bearing replacement: All parts of our camber plates are available to current owner as individual parts so they can reconfigure or refurbish their plates. The upper spherical bearing rarely needs to be replaced, but it's available from us. The lower bearing will eventually need to be replaced after the seals wear out (it rarely fails because of trauma) and is easy to replace at home.

Country of origin: All parts with the exception of the lower radial bearing are made in the USA. All the machined parts are made in-house. The laser cut pieces, nickle plating, zinc plating and anodizing are done by nearby shops in the DFW area.

Next, the S550 including the GT350.

All the materials are the same, but some of the dimensions change. The main plate (the red aluminum part) is 0.400" which is required in this design. The caster range is 0.71" and the camber range is 0.80". Again, both are really limited by the strut tower opening. Right now the OEM perch diameter is not available, but based on some testing we are doing with a late model BMW, there should be a solution with good longevity soon.

modernbeat said:
Okay then. Here's the skinny on our plates. We make two plates in many configurations for the S550 and S197.

First, the S197.

Plate thickness and material: For the S197 we use 0.300" thick heat treated alloy aluminum plate. The bearing holder has a 0.250 steel flange for additional strength and the top ring (which provides a smooth surface to adjust against) is also 0.250" plate. We have it hard anodized. The steel bearing holder and top ring components are nickle plated. The remainder of the components (bolt rings and adapter spools) are yellow zinc plated. The caster bolts are stainless (chosen after many trials) and the main studs are steel (so they could be welded to the bolt ring) with yellow zinc plating.

Bearing size and material: We use a huge Teflon lined spherical bearing with about 2.5 square inches of surface contact between the spherical and the race. Our spherical bearing is rated for 7730lbs EACH! We also have a separate sealed radial bearing in the spring perch. It's rated for 4700 lbs. The two bearings divide the movement between them allowing the spherical to last much longer than it normally would. This lower bearing is necessary because we make our own upper perches for 2.25", 60mm, 2.5" and OEM diameter springs.
We're so proud of our big bearings that we made a page just on their specs. http://www.vorshlag.com/sphericalbearing.php

Adjustment and limits: There is 0.7953" of caster adjustment and 0.8113" of camber adjustment in the plate. But, the plate is usually not the limiting factor. The opening in the strut tower is. For people that need four degrees of negative camber AND nine degrees of caster, we trim the strut top opening.

Rebuildable or bearing replacement: All parts of our camber plates are available to current owner as individual parts so they can reconfigure or refurbish their plates. The upper spherical bearing rarely needs to be replaced, but it's available from us. The lower bearing will eventually need to be replaced after the seals wear out (it rarely fails because of trauma) and is easy to replace at home.

Country of origin: All parts with the exception of the lower radial bearing are made in the USA. All the machined parts are made in-house. The laser cut pieces, nickle plating, zinc plating and anodizing are done by nearby shops in the DFW area.

Next, the S550 including the GT350.

All the materials are the same, but some of the dimensions change. The main plate (the red aluminum part) is 0.400" which is required in this design. The caster range is 0.71" and the camber range is 0.80". Again, both are really limited by the strut tower opening. Right now the OEM perch diameter is not available, but based on some testing we are doing with a late model BMW, there should be a solution with good longevity soon.

when will the S550 plates be available?

fuhrius said:
when will the S550 plates be available?

This is a trap, right? You guys are just trying to get me in trouble with Rick. :-X

The S550 plates are available now for 2.25", 2.5" and 60mm springs. The spring perches for the S550 OEM diameter springs are not yet available.

TMO Supporting Vendors