The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Camber Plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know many members are running the Maximum Motorsports camber plates with good success. Another option is the camber plates from Vorshlag and it looks like they should finally be ready to ship in the next week or so. I'm still leaning towards the MM plates but the Vorshlag ones look terrific. If anyone installs a set please post up any install tips and how much camber you get out of them.

Scroll down just past half way.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57170#post57170

http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=274

Assembly4-S.jpg
Assembly3-S.jpg
DSC0200-S.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I like Vorshlag's stuff but I can't stomach the price on those. I thought the MM plates were expensive.

And the MM plates are great. Not sure how much camber I'm getting, I just dump them all the way inboard for the track and all the way outboard for the street. Tire wear is even in both cases.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If they do the same job then why pay more ? They look nice but they break rule #1:

1) If it doesnt make u go faster or stop faster it better be a safety mod.

;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I was able to get -2.4 on my right wheel but only -2.0 on my left, so both are at -2.0. I am using MM plates but I am sure my -2.0 limitation is not a function of the MM plates as it is with my specific LS.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I run the Vorshlag plates and have run their products for many (many) years. I had one of the original sets of beta camber plates on my E36 M3. When I sold it last year, the plates were still on it and the bearings were still tight.

The over-sized bearing is the key difference between Vorshlag and any other manufacturer. The spherical bearing in the cup is purposely over sized to accommodate yahoos like you and me running the curbing on the track. In the 8 years I had their plates on my M3, and all of the track abuse it saw, those bearings NEVER made a sound and were still tight when I pulled the struts for a rebuild.

You can read more about them here

Now... I've also run Maximum Motorsports plates on several Mustangs. I NEVER had a complaint about those either and I can tell you that my 86GT (the 'Blatantly Illegal Mustang') was severely abused on the track and at auto-x... never an issue with those plates.

John

I started this thread because some members have been wondering when the Vorshlag plates would be available. Like I stated I'm still leaning towards the MM plates as I'm not convinced the V plates are worth the added cost. Is there some added functionality with the V plates?

Here's the link to the MM plates.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=514_2_77&products_id=1400&zenid=3d91017400dd8b4d741bbbbe742041ff

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Super pleased with the MM camber/caster plates and the price is reasonable. Really happy to have 2.7 degrees negative camber on both the left and right sides.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Bill Pemberton said:
Super pleased with the MM camber/caster plates and the price is reasonable. Really happy to have 2.7 degrees negative camber on both the left and right sides.

Bill - Did you have to hog out the holes to get -2.7 or are you using a non-stock suspension ? If you got -2.7 off of the stock config you did very well, that's the most I've heard of. Mine (-2.0) is the least I've heard of ;D

Vorshlag makes quality kit, I have some of their parts on my little BMW. My only issue has been they told me to buy the longer version of the wheel studs to go with the spacers, and they are too long. Regular deep sockets are not deep enough, so I had to find some super deep ones. I also know a lot of people who use their stuff and have never heard complaints.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
5 DOT 0 said:
I started this thread because some members have been wondering when the Vorshlag plates would be available.

Well, they were available, and the stock sold out. I hate how that happens with good products :)

S197 camber plate users like me (and a many others) made suggestions on how to improve the on the original designed product with some changes. In the batch that will replenish the current Out of Stock situation, these changes have all been added. They took extra time to do rapid prototyping (was pretty cool) to ensure the plates met the goals for camber and caster settings as well as fitment and interference testing. I think they changed the plating as well (nickle plated)... but that don't befront me ;)

It is my understanding that the new parts are currently at the plating facility and should be available soon.

Like I stated I'm still leaning towards the MM plates as I'm not convinced the V plates are worth the added cost. Is there some added functionality with the V plates?

The basic point of any camber plate is to allow for addition or subtraction of caster and camber. Added values are reduced stack height and reduced stiction in the strut mount and in some cases, being able to correct for poor (or accountanized) suspension geometry. Pretty simple, right?

I stated above, the MM plates are a great solution. Jack Hidley and the guys at MM did a fantastic job. I've run their product on many of my mustangs with ZERO issue, ever. And yes, I realize their price is lower. You really can't go wrong with either option.

The Vorshlag plates arose from poorly designed BMW offerings for camber plates. The plates being offered to racers by other manufacturers had very poorly made, cheap bearings which were wearing out after 6 months leading to increased NVH. Stack-height was no better than OEM. Lots of stiction due to poor design in bearing seals. Lots of things that didn't appeal to the racers & engineers that started Vorshlag. Postings on the internet showed that customer satisfaction with current offerings was very low... and thus Vorshlag was born. BMW Plates, Mini Plates, Subaru & Evo plates... and S197 Mustangs.

Stronger bearings were first on the list. Followed closely by engineer spec'd materials with cert checked materials. Plating that actually protects parts vs. just looking pretty. Lots of little things that build up to a quality product that is going to last in extreme racing environments.

Also, racers tend to change setups (I used to be really bad about that... now I have a 6 year old and Legos replaced Motons). The Vorshlag plates are designed so that if you are running an OEM setup, you can run their plates with an OEM style upper spring perch. If you move to a Koni coil over setup with 2.5" springs, you can purchase a 2.5" perch and swap perches and be up and running. If you move from that to an inverted mono-tube setup with an 18mm strut end (vs Koni 14mm end), you can change upper bearing spools and be up and running. Running a Bilstein setup with a tapered end? Squared End? A lot of this is do to the over-sized, over-spec'd bearing, but I haven't really seen anyone else offer as flexible of a solution. Read More Here

Guess what I'm saying is, that the upfront costs may seem a little higher, but looking forward, not having to purchase new camber plates when I move to an inverted mono-tube AST 5300 with 60mm springs, the cost savings are there.

Rick have you considered the Ground Control plates, super quality and they are made local. http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=914/CA=96

ilesjohn said:
Rick have you considered the Ground Control plates, super quality and they are made local. http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=914/CA=96
Hey John what's up? How did your car turn out? This is an old thread and I installed the MM CC plates last May and they've been working great. Are you going to join us at LS in August?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4378.0

oops! missed that it this was old. Car is great raced sonoma this past weekend with SCCA, driver might be another story :eek: but we did run mid pack all weekend just tuning the car and trying to get laps in.

I am hoping to do LS with you guys but not sure yet have a lot on the plate this summer, if my schedule allows i will be there!

PeteInCT said:
Bill - Did you have to hog out the holes to get -2.7 or are you using a non-stock suspension ? If you got -2.7 off of the stock config you did very well, that's the most I've heard of. Mine (-2.0) is the least I've heard of ;D

Pete, For your information I am getting 2.8 on the right and 2.7 on the left. I am using the vorslag plates and their AST 4150 set up.

ilesjohn said:
oops! missed that it this was old.

Sorry about that. I don't like having to wade through 55 posts with similar subject titles, just to find that one thing I kind-of remember. So, I try to find the most relevant one to post in, even if it's old. If BMO has a problem, it is that some our best oil cooler tech conversations happen in a suspension thread. ;)

VTBoss, I think you were making a joke and it probably just went over my head (bad week), but that is a new Steeda product (at least according to them) and because it's new, it's on sale now. ;)

Jimmy Pribble said:
Sorry about that. I don't like having to wade through 55 posts with similar subject titles, just to find that one thing I kind-of remember. So, I try to find the most relevant one to post in, even if it's old. If BMO has a problem, it is that some our best oil cooler tech conversations happen in a suspension thread. ;)

VTBoss, I think you were making a joke and it probably just went over my head (bad week), but that is a new Steeda product (at least according to them) and because it's new, it's on sale now. ;)

It's all good...

VTBoss302

PS - Remember that book I recommended...Let's just say I have a hand-signed copy ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors