The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Camber question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The boss is at the alignment shop today for setup before the first shake down this weekend. I was planning on running as much negative camber as possible based on my experience with other cars but they are recommending to keep it at 1 degree based on their experience and the fact it is a live rear axel. This shop came highly recommended so im a little confused now. Ill be running nitto nt555 on enkei's stock suspension except for camber plates. What do you guys think?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I would question their 'experience' with MacPherson strut cars and camber curves in track environments.

Maximize the negative camber (you are on a stock suspension with camber plates, so this will be -2.0* - -2,7*)
Keep OEM Positive Caster (think this is +6.5*)
Set toe ~ 0

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Teamsketch said:
The boss is at the alignment shop today for setup before the first shake down this weekend. I was planning on running as much negative camber as possible based on my experience with other cars but they are recommending to keep it at 1 degree based on their experience and the fact it is a live rear axel. This shop came highly recommended so im a little confused now. Ill be running nitto nt555 on enkei's stock suspension except for camber plates. What do you guys think?

I am running NT-555R-II's on 18" wheels, have Maximum Motorsports camber plates and have camber set to -2.0 degrees (the max I could attain). Some other guys have as much as -2.4 degrees dialed in. The car does very well with the additional negative camber. If you have no camber plates, the most you will be able to get is just about -1.0 degrees and it is not adjustustable. Caster and toe-in should be set to stock settings.

JScheier is exactly right. The guy is blowing smoke. I was at -2.8 with MM plates but the new suspension is going on today and I told him to set at -3.0* Since I'm lowering the front another 1/2" I figure I should be able to pick up at least two more tenths.

cloud9 said:
JScheier is exactly right. The guy is blowing smoke. I was at -2.8 with MM plates but the new suspension is going on today and I told him to set at -3.0* Since I'm lowering the front another 1/2" I figure I should be able to pick up at least two more tenths.

Aren't you going 1 inch lower than stock with the P springs?

adam81 said:
cloud9 said:

I don't think so. The P springs lower a GT 1" if I understand it correctly. The Boss is already lowered 11mm (approx. 1/2") from the GT.

cloud9 said:
adam81 said:
cloud9 said:

I don't think so. The P springs lower a GT 1" if I understand it correctly. The Boss is already lowered 11mm (approx. 1/2") from the GT.

That is what I was wondering about as well..... I guess we will see. Did you take any before measurements?

cloud9 said:
adam81 said:
cloud9 said:

That's my understanding of the drop as well.

adam81 said:
cloud9 said:
adam81 said:
cloud9 said:

That is what I was wondering about as well..... I guess we will see. Did you take any before measurements?
Nope, but maybe someone could measure their stock Boss and we can compare.

Guys, thanks again for all your input! I went with -2 degrees up front, stock caster and a little toe-in. Looking at the position of the strut on the camber plates, I think that is about all that is possible anyways. Also, I am using the the brand new Vorshlag plates. Everything went together without any problems and the shop said the install was easy.

Can't wait for this weekend to try everything out!

TMO Supporting Vendors