The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cams?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If your just going for a "Lope", I would think you could get that with the VVT (Varible Value Timing), but I know a guy that put Mother Thumpers into his 2011 GT and he gained about 60HP roughly (according to the dyno) and one hell of a "Lopey Idle".

I will :)

yknot said:
These new engine don't have cams......What you mean.

I am totally at a loss for words right now ......

As far as to rpm3dinc chances are your friend has a 3V and yes the mother thumpers lope like a mother, but there is no way they gain 60HP. Hell even the 127600 cams don't gain that much power.

To answer the OP's question usually you see gains of around 30HP or so with the 5.0 and cams depending on what set of cams you get. With a Kooks 1 7/8th Long Tubes & off road pipe, Cobra Jet Intake, CJ TB, and Comp Stage 3 cams one of the members here made 497HP IIRC

Sean said:
To answer the OP's question usually you see gains of around 30HP or so with the 5.0 and cams depending on what set of cams you get. With a Kooks 1 7/8th Long Tubes & off road pipe, Cobra Jet Intake, CJ TB, and Comp Stage 3 cams one of the members here made 397HP IIRC

wasn't that 497? Don't most of us make 397 stock ?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yknot said:
These new engine don't have cams......What you mean.
i hope that is some kind of joke......not only do they have cams they have 4 of them......two exhaust and two intake. but please do explain how the valves open and close in these new engines.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
BOSSPOWER said:
Pardon mi ignorance???
SPR=springs required
NSR= no springs required
and there is one where no springs are required but phasers are.

looking into their site all there 5.0 cams are NSR the other lines where a 3v thing I guess

[pdf]http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/COMP5-138%20LoRes.pdf[/pdf]

Justin said:
SPR=springs required
NSR= no springs required
and there is one where no springs are required but phasers are.

looking into their site all there 5.0 cams are NSR the other lines where a 3v thing I guess

[pdf]http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/COMP5-138%20LoRes.pdf[/pdf]

I am dying for someone to make some SPR type cams to see what these motors can really do!

BOSSPOWER said:
I think that in a regular 5.0 you need springs...

Comp offers 3 type of cams for the 4.6 motors:

NSR cams = No Springs Required (minimal gains)
VSR cams = Valve Springs Required (moderate gains)
SPR cams = Springs & Phaser Mods Required (most gains)

For the 3V I was looking to do the FRPP Intake Manifold, JLT 110mm CAI, FRPP 62mm TB, RGR Stage 2 heads, Comp SPR 127600 cams, ARH Long Tube w/ O/R H Pipe, Steeda UDP's and shoot for 390-400 HP. With the 127500's you would get somewhere around 30-40HP from them and that is what people are picking up when switching to the comp cams on these motors and that is just with adding the Boss springs or the comp equivalent springs so I am curious what kind of gains a max effort cam would have on the Boss or Coyote motors.

TMO Supporting Vendors