The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can a Ford Tech use the Ford IDS system off dealership property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM techs with tech 2's can use thier tech 2's off dealership properties such as thier own garage or home. I know this can be done cause I have a Tech 2 at home. I can use it at anywhere as long as I have internet service. Can Ford techs use thier IDS system the same way? I am willing to pay any Ford tech the going Ford dealership hourly rate plus travel with the knowledge of programing a Trackey at my home. I have the Trackey program with the serial number, I live in SouthWestern Pennsylvania about 35 miles South West of Pittsburgh. If you are a Ford tech with the knowledge of programing the Trackey contact me. I am tired of going dealer to dealer without getting this done. All replies will be kept in stick confidence. Reply to [email protected]

Ford's IDS system is available as long as there is an internet connection. House calls sounds like a great way to do this service.

This would be a win/win situation for everyone if it ever came about. The Tech guys coming to your house would surely know what they are doing & you wouldn't spend hours at a dealer's for nothing. But then again, customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be a priority with Ford as far as TRACKEY install is concerned........OH WELL

302BOB said:
But then again, customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be a priority with Ford as far as TRACKEY install is concerned........OH WELL

I have to completely disagree about Ford's customer service regarding the TracKey. From the day that I called them to set up my installation they have called virtually every day to keep me informed and to make certain that everything was going as planned. In fact, they asked me to get the name and phone number of another dealer who has successfully installed the TK (I asked on this forum for the name and number) so they could make certain that there were no issues. During one of our phone conversation I had requested that it stay on the drive until the tech was ready for it, and they were happy to comply. After I arrived, they immediately took the car back and pulled it into the tech’s stall. I then went back to the stall and the tech invited me in to watch the compete installation and answered any questions that I had regarding the installation process. During the installation the tech called the Service Manager and he came back to meet me and advised me that if I ever needed any service that the car would never sit outside and would either be parked on the service drive or in a stall.

After the completion of the installation they gave me everything that was received in the package that was overnighted to them and I then pulled the car out of the stall and drove it up to the service drive and they sent me on my way. When I got home I received a call from the service adviser and they asked if everything was OK.

I have had excellent customer service regarding my BOSS and everyone has (IMO) gone out of their way to make certain that I was happy.

If you are in the Dallas area and you want great service, call Dan (the Service Manager) at Bankston Ford of Fort Worth on 5000 Bryant Irvin Rd
Ft Worth, TX 76132 – 800-384-6562 and tell him that the guy that bought the LS from them sent you.

I am not putting all Ford Dealers down. I am sure that there both good & not so good dealerships. My point is that Ford should monitor the dealerships to make sure that their techs are trained correctly. The dealerships should take more pride and make sure that their thier techs are trained correctly instead of putting the all mightly dollar first. I am almost 60 years old. I come from the old school. My word is my bond. I will pay for what something is worth but I do expect my monies worth. My dad was in business for over 50 years. He always stated " That a happy customer will tell very few, but, an unhappy customer will tell everyone" I am happy you found a great dealership and your Trackey installation went well. I wish I live where you do and had the option to use your dealership. The sad part is that all dealerships should be like the dealership you used. I hope this is what Ford would want.

MrGT5oh said:
302BOB said:
But then again, customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be a priority with Ford as far as TRACKEY install is concerned........OH WELL

I have to completely disagree about Ford's customer service regarding the TracKey. From the day that I called them to set up my installation they have called virtually every day to keep me informed and to make certain that everything was going as planned. In fact, they asked me to get the name and phone number of another dealer who has successfully installed the TK (I asked on this forum for the name and number) so they could make certain that there were no issues. During one of our phone conversation I had requested that it stay on the drive until the tech was ready for it, and they were happy to comply. After I arrived, they immediately took the car back and pulled it into the tech’s stall. I then went back to the stall and the tech invited me in to watch the compete installation and answered any questions that I had regarding the installation process. During the installation the tech called the Service Manager and he came back to meet me and advised me that if I ever needed any service that the car would never sit outside and would either be parked on the service drive or in a stall.

After the completion of the installation they gave me everything that was received in the package that was overnighted to them and I then pulled the car out of the stall and drove it up to the service drive and they sent me on my way. When I got home I received a call from the service adviser and they asked if everything was OK.

I have had excellent customer service regarding my BOSS and everyone has (IMO) gone out of their way to make certain that I was happy.

If you are in the Dallas area and you want great service, call Dan (the Service Manager) at Bankston Ford of Fort Worth on 5000 Bryant Irvin Rd
Ft Worth, TX 76132 – 800-384-6562 and tell him that the guy that bought the LS from them sent you.
Nice writeup. That's very similar to the experience I had at my dealership. They know the Boss is a special car and they give it special treatment. I've seen them do the same thing with GT500s and GTs there. As far as training the dealers, it's pretty hard to justify the economics for Ford and its dealer network of roughly 4,000 North American dealers to roll out a system wide training for maybe one or two iterations of a $302 part and 1 hour of service labor. There are only 4,000 Bosses being built each model year. Educating yourself through FRPP or these forums and then passing on that info in advance to your installing dealer is a good idea. It will help everything go more smoothly for you and the dealer.

Hooray for you lucky guys that have had positive TRACKEY install experiences. From what I've read on this forum, you are in the minority, NOT the majority as far as TRACKEY installs go! I understand the BOSS is a limited production car & a lot of dealers will only be selling 1 or 2 at most, if any. Therefore your TRACKEY install has 50/50 chance of being good or not so good. I still say Ford should have made the odds of your TRACKEY install better than that with more advanced training at the dealerships.

302BOB said:
Hooray for you lucky guys that have had positive TRACKEY install experiences. From what I've read on this forum, you are in the minority, NOT the majority as far as TRACKEY installs go! I understand the BOSS is a limited production car & a lot of dealers will only be selling 1 or 2 at most, if any. Therefore your TRACKEY install has 50/50 chance of being good or not so good. I still say Ford should have made the odds of your TRACKEY install better than that with more advanced training at the dealerships.
No issues with my TK install other than it taking an hour longer than I would have liked and a friend of mine had his TK installed at the same time with no issues so that's two of us. Remember you tend to hear more about bad experiences than good ones. ;)

That is true about experiences. But, not everyone that owns a Boss is on this forum. So compare the good installs to the bad installs that is told on this forum. I think the problem speaks for itself. I just think Ford should been on the ball. No matter if they sold 1 Boss or 4000 Boss's. The techs should now how to install & work on this product. It was up to Ford to make sure of this before they release this product. I am sure the Boss owners that had no problem with the install of the Trackey would feel the same as the owners that the install go wrong.

Mine was the first install at my dealership on day one and yes it took a second trip due to the software update to the ford system. I have had two friends since go in for their install and both went smooth. For on LS the tech met him on his way home from work and installed with no problems. With any system there is a learning curve but most of what I've seen here were dealership software updates. I don't recall anyone saying that trackey program was faulty after install. I know I love hearing it kick in when Boss warms up. Now if someone could update my programming so I can drive without keeping it up in the revs just to hear it do what it does best all the time.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My dealer ony had 2 Boss's to sell, my LS was the first and the only TK install so far. Took only an hour, no issues at all with installation. Parts guys were a little confused on the ordering, they did not realize at first they were ordering paperwork and not a part. I helped explain it and they also called Ford Racing to make sure they got it right. They did, paperwork arrived in 2 days. Overall my experience has been just about perfect. I like the throttle mapping and the engine braking, the new sound of the pipes and the Lopey idle. To me it was fully worth it ($302 + $89 1 hr labor).

TMO Supporting Vendors