Can a S197 be competative with a Porsche GT3 Cup car???

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by Mad Hatter, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Sorry just saw this,,.. These are GT3 Cup cars.... With the sequential gear box etc... full race machines... They have 3.6 and 3.8L models. They all arrived to Chile used, not sure if its from Europe or the USA. So looking at your description... that means that the the 5 second spread I have now is about what you would expect? Should be happy to get it within 4 seconds.

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

The Cup cars are much faster than the street cars I was referring to. Here’s my Carrera S.

C37D2B79-70E5-4CD7-A9BC-3F75980C86C6.jpeg

Mad Hatter and TymeSlayer like this.
  3. Mad Hatter

Nice looking! and very subtle and civilized compared to the Cups!

upload_2018-6-6_23-39-10.png

4. Mad Hatter

I had forgotten that you had gone over to the Dark Side!

5. VoodooBoss

And my car is not nearly as fast. This is my third Porsche 911. That Cup car is a 997 or even older 996. The model numbers are not sequential.

6. Mad Hatter

Oh well asked and answered, thanks!! I can beat the Cayman club sports or GT4s mainly due to acceleration but I guess the GT3 cup will have to wait......

My main GT4 competition had a nasty crash so he is out of the picture for while. luckily with no injuries of any kind, apart from his wallet.

7. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Yeah the 991 is a beast. 996 you have a shot in race trim. 997 maybe if the driver sucks.

VoodooBoss and Mad Hatter like this.
  8. treynor

treynor TMO Advanced

With equal drivers, a recent GT3 cup car is going to walk away, as you can see in this video. But it needs a solid driver, especially as folks I know who've driven the 'cup say it is a bit of handful.

9. Mad Hatter

After going to a slower, more technical track, with a short straight...... Could see that not a chance in hell of keeping up to the better drivers.... The well driven Cup cars were almost 8 seconds faster then me..... Lots of room for improvement from my end so maybe I could get down to 5 seconds slower.... But it all helps in getting my car faster. No rear sway bar on tight slow corners was not a good idea. The slowest GT3 was only 2 seconds faster so maybe I could bag one just for the record....

10. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

Just to put some perspective on the relative speeds of the Porsche's in comparison to other current race cars like the GT350 GT4, I pulled up the results of the recent IMSA races at Watkins Glen.

In IMSA GT3 Cup Series racing, all the cars running are 991's, but the 2017's and 2018's are "Platinum" (with GT3RS DI engines) and the 2016's are "Gold" (with purpose built port-injection race engines). Although they race on the same track at the same time, each class is its own separate series for points and championships. The Cup series as a whole is designed to be a "developmental" class for up-and-coming Porsche GT drivers, so Gold is the entry level and Platinum is advanced. There is also a bunch of veterans who run in a Masters series, again with its own points and championship. The hotshot new kids finding their way to glory at Le Mans are generally faster than the veterans, but not by much.

At Watkins Glen last weekend, both classes of GT3 Cup cars turned faster laps than the Multimatic GT350 GT4 - the fastest Platinum GT3 Cup lap was 1:51.690, the fastest Gold GT3 Cup car was 1:54.958 and the fastest GT350 GT4 lap was 1:56.855.

Mad Hatter and VoodooBoss like this.
  11. VoodooBoss

@JAJ that's some solid data. Remember the Mustangs have their power restricted so they could be closer in lap times. I expect @treynor GT4 to be close to a Cup car.

Grant 302 likes this.
  12. Mad Hatter

Thats great info!! as VoodooBoss mentioned... The restricted engine on the GT4 Mustang has probably similer HP to the GT3 and I am sure its heavier..... !! Says a lot about the GT4

Grant 302 likes this.
  13. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

I was surprised that the GT4's were slower, but the differences could well be because of class restrictions. I suspect that it'd be pretty much a fair fight if you derestricted the Cup cars and the GT4's and sent them out to race.

14. Mad Hatter

Maybe a unfair fight?? the GT4 could probably get a 100 hp more and they run on Contis, not Pirelli or Michelin slicks like the Cup cars..

15. the5

the5 TMO Advanced

After that race and RA we realized we might need a Bit more Power for some Pesky 458s ,GT4 and Cup cars :)

So the new engine will be going in the car sometime in Late July

16. the5

the5 TMO Advanced

For Perspective in our 302R we ran a Best of 2:02 At Watkins Glen on Street tires, Car probably could have gotten to Sub 2 if we had a clear track!

cobrarob, steeda5 and Mad Hatter like this.
  17. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

The 2018 GT3 Cup series is sponsored by Yokohama, so the cars were running on Yokohama slicks. The GT4's were on Conti's.

Mad Hatter likes this.
  18. Mad Hatter

looks like fun!! What street tires where those?? On the mustang that is....

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  19. Mad Hatter

After spending some time on the track with over 20 GT3 cup cars....... I can safely say the are a way out of my reach!

Hmm.... maybe next year with some 315 hoosiers all around and a Cobrajet setup..... Naa, sometimes a faster car is just that..... a Faster car...

20. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Race

There Will ALWAYS be someone faster. So, keep the dirty Side down and have some fun!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TymeSlayer, VoodooBoss and Mad Hatter like this.