The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

can i get some information on this part?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i know everyone likes the mgw shifter alot, but is there any love for the steeda shifter? seems easier to get and i was just wondering if there was any feedback on it

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Some guys have installed the bracket but not sure if anyone has posted info on the full shifter kit for an MT-82 installation. Have you done a search on the forum? In looking at the Steeda unit it appears to be a well designed & built unit but it also does not seem to be as heavy duty as the MGW. I have the MGW and am very happy with it, since it's installation I've literally had no blown shifts at the track, whereas before downshifts were a nightmare with the stock unit, especially 5 - 3 shifts.

I have had the Steeda shifter and bushing in mine for almost a year now. Works great for me, but it is not as fancy as the MGW. Then again, I bought my shifter and bushing on sale for almost half the cost of the MGW. I am not so sure that the shifter is the issue anyways. I was having an issue with hard shifting, once in awhile, on the track in certain locations were the drivetrain was being twisted and torqued. I think the bushing helped more than anything. As I have helped installl an MGW, I do think it is a work of art!

06mach1 said:
I have had the Steeda shifter and bushing in mine for almost a year now. Works great for me, but it is not as fancy as the MGW. Then again, I bought my shifter and bushing on sale for almost half the cost of the MGW. I am not so sure that the shifter is the issue anyways. I was having an issue with hard shifting, once in awhile, on the track in certain locations were the drivetrain was being twisted and torqued. I think the bushing helped more than anything. As I have helped installl an MGW, I do think it is a work of art!
I've always thought that part of the improvement of the MGW is their shifter brakcet design that takes a lot of slop out of the shifter. CHE makes a torque limiter that might be worth looking into.

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I installed the STEEDA shifter in my car this past weekend and the feel is very nice. They have added some weight to the shift lever so there is not much more effort required, but the throws are shorter and the slop in the factory shifter is completely removed. The real test will come later this year when I can get it back on-track and see if it helps my occasional 2-3 shift bobbles, but on the street it shifts great 2-3.

On the garage floor, next to the stock shifter, lays the Steeda and the Barton along with the Barton rear lower bracket. George at MGW installed the completed kit along with their Boss 302 shifter ball this morning in mine . I can honestly say, this is what Ford should have supplied in the first place. I drove 160 miles on Georgia back roads today , (pig trails if you will) up and down shifting through the twisties, as well as power shifting and never missed a gear and it's not even broken in yet. I don't know what else that you need to know.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Like I always say, if it works on the pig trails then it'll work at VIR ! ;D

I agree, since I've had mine there's been no blown shifts at all. Some pretty bad driving, but no blown shifts ::)

daddyfixer said:
On the garage floor, next to the stock shifter, lays the Steeda and the Barton along with the Barton rear lower bracket. George at MGW installed the completed kit along with their Boss 302 shifter ball this morning in mine . I can honestly say, this is what Ford should have supplied in the first place. I drove 160 miles on Georgia back roads today , (pig trails if you will) up and down shifting through the twisties, as well as power shifting and never missed a gear and it's not even broken in yet. I don't know what else that you need to know.

i think thats all i need to hear

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
daddyfixer said:

All this and *no* pix?! Not one? :'(

*No* Pix, I don't know what kind of pics you were expecting as I had both hands on the wheel. But if it was a pic of the three shifters on my garage floor I will be more than happy to E-Mail a shot to you . I trust that you can still be reached at ([email protected]). By the way they are all for sale. ;D

MGW LTD 706-793-1770 I am sure that Julie will be more than happy to tell you that George did indeed install the shifter this morning.

ace72ace

I meant of the custom install by George... I already have my MGW, no need for any of that other 'stuff' ;)

ace72ace

No worries, did you mention what what the MGW is installed in? Any pix of that?

ace72ace

Now I just need my build update! I know it won't be here for weeks but this home stretch is killer.

TMO Supporting Vendors