The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can we talk about guns and the problem with anarchy that is with us (the riots and crimes)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Compared to many here, I'm relatively new to TMO, which puts me at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to handling these types of threads - lock them and you're accused of censoring people, let them go and some people get pissed and leave.

I can tell you that on other sites I've owned and managed we would shut down controversial topics on religion, politics, social issues, and anything that was hot button that usually ended up locked with people attacking each other. The problem I've found over the years is the internet is not a great venue to discuss sensitive topics that tend to go differently in person. People often say things online that they wouldn't in person, usually to try and make a point, not really caring who disagrees or where others are coming from on the subject. People talk at each other instead of with each other online. It's what I hate most about social media.

What I love most about cars and car communities is how we come together regardless of our backgrounds and our bias. This tends to get lost when these type of discussions spill over from social media. I'd prefer we shut them all down and keep this place more neutral territory, a place where we can get away from the drama. Though I feel like the emotional IQ here could be high enough to sustain a meaningful conversation, I'm wondering if it's even worth allowing those conversations when there are plenty of other places where it can be discussed already.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Compared to many here, I'm relatively new to TMO, which puts me at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to handling these types of threads - lock them and you're accused of censoring people, let them go and some people get pissed and leave.
I disagree, because you own the site and get to make it what you want.

Historically, say before I was a moderator, my guess is that it would have been locked and deleted.

While I was a mod, I would likely have seen it first and pulled it from view. Discussed with Rick...and my guess would be permanently deleted.

- lock them and you're accused of censoring people, let them go and some people get pissed and leave.

And that’s on the list of reasons why I didn’t want to stay a moderator. Can’t make everyone happy all the time. Nobody really appreciates how difficult it is to delete something you agree with, as well as questioning wether you are being fair to those that you don’t. Certainly not those that I’ve had the luxury of putting on ignore for the last month.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Isn't this sub forum for Non-Mustang Discussions?
If you don't like gun discussions, avoid the threads that are obviously gun discussions. Is that so hard?

But if the forum rules say no politics or religion, then delete away...
Well, we see how that's worked out with social media. And I don't want this place turning into that toxic mess. Trouble is, most of the "rules" here have been largely unwritten so I find myself trying to learn more about how some things would have been handled before I took over, if that approach has worked well and helped make this place what it is today, and if not, how it might be changed going forward. That balance can be tricky.

If anyone would like to chime in privately, feel free to send me a note. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Chris

Points received and appreciated.

I know A guy who has said more than once that he enjoys this site simply because folks can come and talk about a shared passion, specifically cars (Even Camaro's) in a mature and respectful manner. Yep, it's me.....and others.

I am passionate about firearms. I love building, shooting, reloading and sharing the sport. I have fired way north of 100K rounds of ammo personally. Because of my passion, I responded. I had No intention to insult, enrage or disagree with anyone. Others obviously disagree with my point of view and my freedom to express that view. Oh Well. Wrong place, wrong crowd, wrong time.

TMO has always been a sanctuary to enjoy each other cars, driving experiences and problems we've encountered along the way...... It's always been a family type atmosphere that I believe a gun topic shouldn't apply to. Let's not throw pizza into this as that is a family application in itself..:cool:. Many world issues do concern our TMO agendas now a days...covid being one that comes to mind!!!..Let's just keep our forum's focus on what it was started with.....Mustangs.........................And anything else with 4 wheels (Camaros and Hellcats included)...............

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Chris

I know A guy who has said more than once that he enjoys this site simply because folks can come and talk about a shared passion, specifically cars (Even Camaro's) in a mature and respectful manner. Yep, it's me.....and others.

I am passionate about firearms. I love building, shooting, reloading and sharing the sport. I have fired way north of 100K rounds of ammo personally. Because of my passion, I responded. I had No intention to insult, enrage or disagree with anyone. Others obviously disagree with my point of view and my freedom to express that view. Oh Well. Wrong place, wrong crowd, wrong time.
What I've loved most about this place since joining (besides checking out all the cool builds that show me how very little disposable income I really have) is the maturity level and respect that is on display nearly all the time. As you mentioned, you have a different perspective on firearms than some, but I don't think you came across as insulting, at least not in this thread. I don't think anyone has really. The question was asked whether or not these discussions (or any discussions about hot button topics that are tearing through social media soapboxes regularly) are necessary here on TMO. Nobody questions your freedom to express your views, it is more a matter of what the community here sees as relevant to what we have going and what topics we might be able to do without to keep the discourse healthy and less distracting. Some will disagree on that, and that's fine. I would just like to hear some opinions before I settle on what I feel is best for the direction I'm trying to steer things. Doesn't mean I'm against some of these topics, only that I'd rather keep people focused on the things that draw us together as much as I can.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Chris

And I appreciate the understanding on your part too. ;) Thanks for that.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this down in order to make it known that everyone who has reached out to me about it, many of them very active members over the years, have all expressed a desire to keep these types of subjects (and all hot button topics) out of the forum. And as I've mentioned in earlier posts, I've agreed with that sentiment for years now and it's worked out well on other forums I've managed this way. Hope everyone understands, or at least respects the good intentions behind it. PM me your thoughts if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel