The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Canadian oil change......yikes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I went in to get my first oil change about a month ago at my dealership (1000kms), and I asked them if they could get Mobil1 5w50 instead of the Motorcraft. He said they don't stock 5w50 at this dealership so they would have to order it :eek:. He calls me back the next day and says he went on the Mobil1 website, and they don't make 5w50 anymore, so he would have to get me the Motorcraft, I said whatever go for it. Next day he calls me again, and said that He can't get Motorcraft 5w50 in Canada, but when he called Ford racing himself, they said they only ship Mobil1 to Canada!!!! WTF????? awesome I think and they called me today saying it was in, my car is now at 2730kms. I go in to get the change, and the oil service building doesn't have a lift that my car will fit over, so I get moved to the regular service bay. I asked if my first oil change was free like my wifes new car was and she says yes. Cool I think and watch them do the change. Then its time to square up and she says that because they had to order in "special oil" I would have to pay the difference of what a normal oil change costs($60.00). The bill is $130.00 plus tax!!!!
Any other Canadians have this problem? I thought I would have Ford documentation for all maintenence for the life of my car, but the next one will be over $200.00 bucks.
Is there a website or company that I can get Mobil1 from online and for a better price?

I had planned to have the dealer do my oil changes simply to keep up the documentation but I think that I will do it myself if I can find the correct oil.

Yep that's full price. Most dealers have coupons and will apply the same discount to your oil change. You'll be hard pressed to DIY for under $70.

drano38

Wayne
Yep, about $100 US at my local dealer. But with points system and a free oil change after buying so many (what ever its called), use the dino oil changes on my other vehicles for a reasonable fee to build up a free oil change, then cash those in with the Boss.
This winter I picked up Castrol 5W-50, so plan to do a couple myself.

I got my oil from Ford Canada Mobil 1 5W50 which they said is straight from Ford Canada instead of motorcraft. I got a good deal on case of 12 because another dealer bought a few cases for a GT500 and the owner never came back and they are stuck with the oil :D
I then picked up a ford racing oil filter and got a friend at his own garage to change the oil and filter. I couldn`t stand taking it to ford and not being able to see them do the oil change..etc..

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I just wait for NAPA to have the mobil 1 on sale for 5.98 a qt and stock up. I use K&N HP-2010 oil filters. so it cost me around 60 bucks to do an oil change....

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
just paid $9.49 per quart for 5w50 mobil 1 at pep boys today in pleasant hill ca. they are starting to stock it finally. I use either perolator or motorcraft filters (perolator makes the motorcraft filters)...

I have always used motorcraft filters on my cars.

John

Johnson13 said:
Thanks for the info guys! Would any of you use Castrol 5w50 for a non tracked car? I work at Wal-mart and can get it cheap! I just don't want to risk anything going wrong with my dream car!

As long as it's at least Cat 3 synth I wouldn't see a problem with it. You DD the car? should be fine.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
i always buy a small notebook and log all info in that and keep it in the glove box with the manual and reg. With over 231,000 miles, the notobook in my 1995 GT is getting thick!!! I have two oil changes nd one replaced passenger window motor so far in the Boss's log. Im about to take it back to get the driver visor replaced as the tab that keeps the cover closed broke and now it opens when i flip the mirror down.

john

So Boss

Boss at Vancouver (now Finland)
Hi,
I bought my Canadian '12 Boss 302 from Brown Bros Vancouver BC.
-never any problems with service
-correct Motorcraft 5W-50 always available, like everything else needed

So Boss said:
Hi,
I bought my Canadian '12 Boss 302 from Brown Bros Vancouver BC.
-never any problems with service
-correct Motorcraft 5W-50 always available, like everything else needed
Thanks. Really? Wonder what my dealership is up to then? He said they can't get it here. Hmmmmmmmm

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
I switched over to Total 10w-50 on my 2nd oil change after paying nearly $100 for 9 quarts of the Motorcraft oil. My local dealer sells me 10 liters of Total for $68...and its a much superior oil (when compared to Motorcraft). If you have the time/ability to DIY...nothing feels better than making sure the job is done right.

TMO Supporting Vendors