The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't blow up my gen 1 Coyote!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After beating on my car hard for 39,000 miles of drag racing road racing street thrashing fun.. many many times accidently above 8000 RPM (tach burried on slippy starts), shifting at 7500 at the track etc etc. all the mods, it wont even think about blowing up!

I'm ready to re-build this engine as soon as it tires out but it just wont even get worried.. i have not even changed the oil this season yet and its been on the road since May (almost 3 months).

Pulls as hard as ever. Who has this similar experience and did it ever let go? What engine did you swap to ? mine is pure NA setup for RR.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Lol. I wouldn’t tempt fate and leave the oil unchanged...

Nothing wrong with mine, but it does seem to ‘like’ blowing the carbon out on a track day and burning some race gas.

Why would you destroy parts and risk loosing your block and crank? pull it and do what you want or get a gen 2 core and rebuild to what you want? Build a gen 2 core motor and sell your nice complete running motor.

sfo
Best advice is to leak it down and if good just enjoy it! The 1st motor from the factory is often the best. Next best is a Ford crate motor. Everyone says they can build you a killer motor. Reality is very few can build you a reliable motor. I'm a racer who runs motors to the limit and blown my share. I'm an old dude still racing. That's my experience. Save yourself the money, agravation, and time. Take care of what you have if it is still good. Do not refresh unless you have data to prove you need to open the motor up. Much more bad can come of it than good.

Once I refreshed a motor right before the Runoffs at Mid-Ohio. Power on the dyno put a smile on my face! I tow all the way to Mid-O from SoCal. I'm out in race practice oiling the windshields behind me getting black flagged. The motor was crrap eventhough it made great HP. I could not race because I could not control the oil blowing out my tailpipe. That was a $6000+ waste of time in just transportation, flights, hotel, and entry fees.

As a reference, the IMSA rules allowed us to replace the oil pump, go .020 on the bore, replace the rod bolts and change the valve springs. Those motors were good for 50 hours. They would probably go more, but there is a price to pay power wise and valve springs are the first part most likely to fail.
I think, to repeat, I think..and this is above my pay grade, that Phoenix is about to embark on some kind of Coyote development program, so you might call them, they have a complete engine shop and dyno tune the cars before they go on track.

sfo
Pheonix engine shop would be great! I'm convinced in theory that a motor could be built for 1 race, 1 season, and years. The cost to win is staggering and above my budget! When I started I thought the big cost was the car only to find out that it is the cheap part. Out of curiosity how many sets of new hoosiers does a 10x national champ like Andrew go through during a Runoffs week?

Pheonix engine shop would be great! I'm convinced in theory that a motor could be built for 1 race, 1 season, and years. The cost to win is staggering and above my budget! When I started I thought the big cost was the car only to find out that it is the cheap part. Out of curiosity how many sets of new hoosiers does a 10x national champ like Andrew go through during a Runoffs week?
Boy you got that right, the race car is the cheap part. With regards to tires, I handled something like 128 tires this week among 7 cars. Why they allow 3 days of qualifying is beyond me, unless they are trying to be all inclusive with late entries or accommodate changing track conditions, but it sure eats up sticker tires.

sfo
Wow! That's a lot of tires! Each of those 7 cars probably has rains too. I agree with a shorter qualy week. It just wastes tires. I'd rather see a practice day, qualy and race wrapped into my entry fee. Runoffs is a long week especially if your race is the last one on Sunday. I need another car and race more classes instead of trying to race 2 classes with 1 car and be underoptimized in both classes.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
After beating on my car hard for 39,000 miles of drag racing road racing street thrashing fun.. many many times accidently above 8000 RPM (tach burried on slippy starts), shifting at 7500 at the track etc etc. all the mods, it wont even think about blowing up!

I'm ready to re-build this engine as soon as it tires out but it just wont even get worried.. i have not even changed the oil this season yet and its been on the road since May (almost 3 months).

Pulls as hard as ever. Who has this similar experience and did it ever let go? What engine did you swap to ? mine is pure NA setup for RR.

All this and yet no reply or follow up?

Perhaps I missed a thread where it blew & was rebuilt?

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Boy you got that right, the race car is the cheap part. With regards to tires, I handled something like 128 tires this week among 7 cars. Why they allow 3 days of qualifying is beyond me, unless they are trying to be all inclusive with late entries or accommodate changing track conditions, but it sure eats up sticker tires.
I found the way qualifying is done to be odd. Oval track you get 2 flying laps to qualify and you're done. Quick and easy on tires....this running for 20 min in traffic to qualify just seems odd to me. I'd rather have another practice session with that time. Sure, you could just run a few laps and pull off but you don't get much practice to begin with, some race days there is no practice at all. I just think this could be done more efficiently.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Just a note, my OEM Boss engine ran hard for over 5 years with well over 150 hours of track time. Before a endurance race we rebuilt it with new rings etc every thing looked good... Won the enduro in my class, happy as a pig in Shtt... Shortly after, a rod went and that was that..... Take care of the original engine!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel