The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't decide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My wife asked me what I want for Christmas. I originally told her a MGW race spec shifter. I have since read some reviews about the Blowfish bracket that has kind of swayed me.

I like the fact that the Blowfish bracket has a built in loop and it's a little cheaper.

One more fly in the ointment. I have experienced the shift lockout at high rpm. Although I am not expecting a MGW or a Blowfish bracket to totally fix this,if a clutch is the true fix I might as well put that money towards a McLeod.

I'm so confused.....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Boy!! So many of us have been down this road before..... My 2 cents worth if you are going to track your car regularly is....

Blow fish or MGW
Clutch
Ben Calimer Stage one or Two MT82 rebuild.

I did no do this right away.... and spent a bundle on three gearboxes. Fourth time lucky so far!!

patrickshelby said:
Yep. The clutch is the root of most shifting problems including damage to the trans and the main cause of the high RPM lockout. With that said you'll want either the BFR bracket or MGW shifter as well. Start saving!

Bay Area
Its XMAS ask for both and see if you can get a package deal. But in all seriousness, clutch 1st. Although we don't like the shifter they used the stock shifter on all the cars at BTA and if you don't bang it to hard it really does work fine.

At least from my experience.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch

Get the picture. I have had the BF bracket but I sold it to get the MGW...I currently have the MGW Gen II Race Spec shifter installed. The MGW is awesome but still doesn't cure the 4-5 shift because the stock clutch sucks. If you have the cash do clutch and MGW but if I had to choose all over again I would have done a clutch immediately. Good luck

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Flyboygsxr said:
clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch clutch

Whether it's the first clutch or number sixty on this post, I concur!

Flyboygsxr said:
Are you sure? ;D

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
For some reason my MT82 is still functioning with my stock clutch. It shifts fine everywhere except for the 4-5 shift. The gears never grind but I really have to push hard to get it into 5th and it gets worse the hotter the trans gets. What were the symptoms that the trans was about to fail for others? I have a track event at COTA coming up and I really don't want to lose any time there!

The car has been into the dealer for shifting issues once but the dealer said it shifts fine and sent me on my way. My car has 16k miles on it and the only thing I have had to replace are wheel bearings and rear axle seals. I shift slow and I change the trans oil about as often as I change the engine oil. I lose so much speed and time because of my shifts though, it's really frustrating! This car would be so much better if I could shift it :( I already have the MGW racespec an sadly it didn't help the 4-5 drama but I'm still glad I got it. Probably why the trans isn't dead yet. I hope Ford doesn't give me a hard time for it if I have to make a warranty claim on the transmission.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel