The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't Fill Up My Tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of all the stupid reasons to have my car in the shop! When I drove my car home from the dealer, I noticed the tank was only 3/4 full. Thought that was a bit cheap on their part at the time. So when I went to fill it up the first time, the fuel gauge only went to 3/4! Took it in, and they said the vapor canister in the tank was not venting, and therefore not letting the tank fill all the way. Got it replaced, and it still only "fills" to 3/4! So they're lookin' at it again. Any ideas on what might be going on?

That seems to be the most likely thing. I don't know why gas tanks are my biggest problems with Mustangs! With my '05, I had to hold the pump nozzle upside down in order to fill it because of the way the fill line was designed in those early S197's.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Fiddler49 said:
That seems to be the most likely thing. I don't know why gas tanks are my biggest problems with Mustangs! With my '05, I had to hold the pump nozzle upside down in order to fill it because of the way the fill line was designed in those early S197's.
yeah my 06 was a pain to fill up

06mach1 said:
I had an 06 Mustang and never had an issue. Wasn't there a TSB out there that addressed the early S197 gas fill issue?
There were a few and I even eventually got a new gas tank but it's still quite a process to fill it up on certain days. Usually seems to be worse when it's hot and humid. There must be something inherent in the design that they can't remedy due to the way it fits into the chassis. Basically I know a few pumps that will flow slow enough so I can fill it.

This kind of sums up the issue although hopefully no one's actually calling this ambulance chaser. Oh look what state they're in :p
http://www.mustangfueltankproblemsslowtofill.com/index.html

cloud9 said:
There were a few and I even eventually got a new gas tank but it's still quite a process to fill it up on certain days. Usually seems to be worse when it's hot and humid. There must be something inherent in the design that they can't remedy due to the way it fits into the chassis. Basically I know a few pumps that will flow slow enough so I can fill it.

This kind of sums up the issue although hopefully no one's actually calling this ambulance chaser. Oh look what state they're in :p
http://www.mustangfueltankproblemsslowtofill.com/index.html
Hrmph...after being told by the dealer that there was nothing they could do, I developed my "Mustang Fueling Procedure" and dealt with it for 8 years. And to think I could have put money in a lawyer's pocket to whine about it all this time... ::)

When the light comes on you still have around 3-5 gallons left. I wouldn't be worried if it filled 13 gallons with the light being on for a bit.

GA
I try not to go below a 1/4 tank. Once I let it get down to 23 miles left and the car started sputtering, so I don't trust it to go that low anymore.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I get about 14-14.5 gallons on fill up when the light comes on. I have gotten about 15 or more in it when I do a swap from 93-E85 when you have to empty the tank till the car stalls.

TMO Supporting Vendors