The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't find a 20 mm rear sway bar......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That list has at least one error in it...my 2011 GT came with a 24mm rear bar. There is a sticky at the top of this forum section with S197 spring and bar rates that I have been relying on pretty heavily, and it differs from that LMR listing in several places.

Also, if you want to broaden your search a bit, Eibach, who manufactured the Ford Performance M-5490-AR 'blue' bar, told me their 22mm bar has a rate of 92 lb/in, or slightly softer than the stock 2005-2010 GT 20mm bar (per the sticky in this forum).

I have the Ford Performance 22mm bar on my car, but will be pulling it off within the next week or so. PM me if you are interested in it.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Look specifically at a 2008 GT, and first at the ones that aren't in Bullitt trim. I just measured the OE rear bar I took off my '08 and it was 20mm on the nose.

If you were local to the South Jersey/Philly area I'd tell you to just come over and pick it up - it's got both of the chassis-side drop links and both axle-side D-bushings but not the clamps. Don't know if it'd be worth shipping (I'm completely ignorant of such things even without the current COVID mess screwing with so many things these days).

Norm

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Some rather ancient data I got somewhere (likely either MustangForums or S197Forums) listed something like 147 lb/in for the 22 and 193 lb/in for the 24. That's generally consistent with stiffness being a 4th power function of solid round bar diameters, and not terribly out of whack with the rates Sam Strano lists for his/Hellwig's 25mm adjustable rear bar.

Norm

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
something like 147 lb/in for the 22 and 193 lb/in for the 24

Norm thanks but I think that is for the stock V6 bar. The sticky thread at:

seems to differentiate between the stock 22mm and the Ford Performance 22mm but shows no info for the blue bar.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
All I can offer is that I got those numbers at least a couple of years before I ever found this site. Possibly 5 years before.

If you can dig up some actual dimensions including the distance between the drop link locations, I can throw them into a sta-bar stiffness calculator that considers more than just center-section torsion and arm bending. Results tend to be around 5% softer than what Fred Puhn's formula predicts.

Norm

I've never seen any rates published for the M-5490-A rear 22mm "blue" bar (nor for the front). Does anybody have any idea whether that bar is relatively stiffer or softer than the 24mm stock bar?

I tried unsuccessfully to get a rate on the blue bar from Ford Performance. Knowing it was made by Eibach, who also sells a 22mm bar for the S197, I assumed it was likely the same as the Ford bar and gave them a call.

The 92 lb/in rate I quoted above came from Eibach's tech line. I was surprised how soft their quoted rate is, but that's what they stated for their S197 22mm bar. I would be interested in how the calcs compare to what Eibach quoted.

Last edited:
One more vote for LRM's table being wrong. My 2007 GT came with a 20mm rear bar, I swapped for a 22mm. Unfortunately, the car and bar is gone.

My 213 GT base came with a 24mm rear bar.... it is sitting in my garage, just measured it.

If there is a good junkyard near you with more than a few S197's in it, take a walk with a set of calipers. When you find what you need, grab that part.

I was just looking for one of these a few months back prior to the crash... The other question I had was if the 05-10 bar would work on the 11-14 cars. It looked a bit different from that of the 22-24 mm bars.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel