The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't link codes !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
13 Boss 302 .
Engine light came on. Plugged in my OBD2 reader. It tried and failed to link up many times. So I borrowed another reader from my mechanic. Same thing , Error with the link.......
So I checked fuse #20 in the car ( diagnostic connector ) 15amp. it's fine !! So now what . I'm pretty sure it's an Oxy sensor....... but I still want the code !!!

Any Idea's folks? I missing something ?

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
So.... I found a dead 15amp mini fuse under the hood fuse panel. #49 ( Powertrain control module vehicle power 2 - emission related powertrain components ) unhooked the battery for a bit and replaced the fuse and that has cleared all codes. My OBD2 and my Mechanics OBD2 readers both still won't link up but his laptop would. Very strange . Anyways car is back to normal for now and I am monitoring it.

1592407952248.png

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Well fuse #49 blew again so (obviously ) I need to get it up in the air and track down this fault / short somewhere. Guessing it's O2 sensor . Still can't link the OBD2 reader.....and that's a major pita !!!

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Yahoooo ! found the problem ! Finally had a chance to get it on the hoist and have a proper look. Found that the loom on the right bank that goes down to oxy sensor and other things was not secured and the wires had melted up against the top of the catalytic . Hard to see from the ground on my back but easy to find on the hoist. It was shorting out and blowing fuse # 49. as suspected. A little electrical tape and proper routing and some tie wraps and I think I'm back in business. So far so good. 🙂
I guess I can chalk it up to buying a used car. Ya never quite know what it.s been through . No regrets , still love this car !!

TMO Supporting Vendors