The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't sleep. Leaving in less than six hours to go play cars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can't sleep. I'm leaving before dawn to meet up with somewhere over a hundred Shelby Mustangs and Cobras as they drive from LA to Vegas for the Shelby American 50th Anniversary Bash. Thurs and Fri are Open Track days at Spring Mountain. Friday night with any luck I'll get to meet Carroll Shelby. Sat is a car show and Sun we're going to Cannon Ball Run it back to the Bay Area. About 500 miles each way. There's going to be hundreds of supercharged Shelby's to play with. I'm afraid 444 HP won't be enough! Now you know why I can't sleep... ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
How cruel we all are, even to our own brethren ! ;D I can't wait till we here reports of the ZL1 out on the track with us. That's gonna get crazy (hopefully uneventful in the end also).

Andy, have a fun time and safe drive. Be sure to post photos and video.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
BTW, I like the 'go play cars' line. I'm gonna use that line on the Mrs. Maybe take a hidden video of the reponse. Now that's what we should be posting on YouTube. I feel another thread coming on.....

Fat Boss said:
I can't sleep. I'm leaving before dawn to meet up with somewhere over a hundred Shelby Mustangs and Cobras as they drive from LA to Vegas for the Shelby American 50th Anniversary Bash. Thurs and Fri are Open Track days at Spring Mountain. Friday night with any luck I'll get to meet Carroll Shelby. Sat is a car show and Sun we're going to Cannon Ball Run it back to the Bay Area. About 500 miles each way. There's going to be hundreds of supercharged Shelby's to play with. I'm afraid 444 HP won't be enough! Now you know why I can't sleep... ;D

My Boss blows my 2011 Shelby away on the track.

smittytx said:
Fat Boss said:

My Boss blows my 2011 Shelby away on the track.
Because Race Car ;)

It was incredible! Great times with the Shelby boys and girls. Meeting up with the group in Barstow we then all headed into Las Vegas at um let's just say over the speed limit. Rumor has it the Heritage GT and a KR doubled the limit!

Pics from the web since my iTurd takes crappy ones..

011-2.jpg

012-4.jpg

Thursday morning we headed to the track and sat through the drivers meeting before getting out on track. I had a few warm up laps before going off track at the end of the long straight. Several contributing factors: 1- Driver error! 2- Just had to pass that second car way down the straight.. 3- There was a gorgeous grabber Super Snake with slicks right on my ass! It's at the end of this vid:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnD7-jmHZc&feature=autoplay&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&lf=plcp&playnext=1[/youtube]
Friday we did a poker run then more track time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj_G3tdzgjo&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Friday night was the banquet, but old Shelby is in bad shape and could not attend.

Sat was the car show and then we had lunch at the Harley restaurant on the strip.

Got to watch a Super Snake get dyno'd at about 820 HP !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TdCLyTSe8&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=4&feature=plcp[/youtube]

092.jpg

090.jpg

Then we headed home on Sunday through the pass and the snow!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlC-89Ey3Yk&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=2&feature=plcp[/youtube]

GRRREAT TIME ! I'll post it up when I get a chance to put it on Photobucket. I'm on my lunch hour and the corporate net-nazis don't allow us to access PB. But we can watch YT... Go figure.

Wow that brings back memories. What a great place. I see they've made a bunch of changes, I hardly recognize the track layout, although a few corners are familiar.

Cool video and I was just waiting....and waiting...and waiting for the red/white GT500 to finally point you by. ;D I was LMAO at your off. I got in the marbles out there too after passing 3 C6s, the last of which drag raced me all the way down there to the end of the straight. He was a noob and still to the inside when I got to the turn so I didn't trust that if I cut in front of him he wouldn't T-bone me. I droppped two wheels but was able to save it. When I got back in the instructor laughed and recognized what happened and just said "nice save". It looks like the start/finish was new and some of the buildings. Man I envy you California boys with all those great facilities so close by. Looks like you had a great time.

TMO Supporting Vendors