The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't unlock car .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Sadly my brother in law passed away 10 days ago. The family is trying to sort everything out and I was called to help deal with his car. It's a (s197) 14 gt convertible with V8 and auto trans. The car has been sitting for a few months. When I try the remote door locks the lights just barely flicker. I'm sure the battery is almost dead and won't unlock , and when I insert the key in the lock it still wont turn and I can't unlock it. Ive tried both sets of keys...
Does it need power to unlock even with the key in the door ?

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
My 06 does not need power to work the manual door locks. I know for sure. Maybe spray some lube in the lock, maybe its just grimey from never being used.

Last edited:
Prolly, the manual lock was never used and ended up corroded inside. racer47 has the best idea.
Barring that, you could possibly jack the car up, and finagle some battery charger lines onto the starter and maybe charge the battery that way.
Lastly, just call a locksmith that specializes in vehicles, those guys usually get right in with no damage.
and sorry about your brother in law, clearly he was a man of good taste since he married your sister and owned a mustang.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel