The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Capaldi Racing Member Special - 5.2L "GEN 2" WATER PUMP KIT M-8501-M52A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
there's enough meat on the driver's cylinder head outlet adapter to drill and tap for 1/8 NPT - and its definitely the hottest point (I've seen 260* there while trying to melt my motor racing in Arizona)

View attachment 65507

I really liked this idea, and had just enough room to do likewise!G2 (1).jpgG2 (2).jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
So what's the final word on this water pump? I'm going to swap in a custom 302R PWR radiator in that's high density, but I have seen mixed feedback on the pump. Any quantitative improvements?
Chris, no hard data but the impeller is wider, flows more, and supposedly made of a better material. If you've got miles on your current setup then the new pump and tensioner won't hurt. I have run mine and it seems like a small drop in operating temps from 235 peak CHT to 227. But as you know many variables come into play.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Curious, why did you stop running a electric pump?? It was on my wish list.
the car seemed to make the same power and cool the same with a mechanical pump (delta between pumps within margin of error), and was able to offload it to free up some cash to get a torque arm. It was really nice to run it when coming off track in impound with engine off - though I struggled with the smaller capacity batteries I ran - both on track and off with the pump.

I think now with a bigger battery and running a larger alternator (and having a bit more income these days) I'd have kept the electric pump. Maybe some day I'll run one again.

TMO Supporting Vendors