The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

capped side exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After installing block off plates to the side pipes the exhaust note almost vanished.The stock axlebacks are truely a cork in the flow. UPDATE>>>
I just finished a complete 3" exhaust system,from the H pipe to tailpipes.I went with the Race series 3" kit from BMRP.I must say a first class kit.Everything fit with tons of clearance.Vintage big block deep bass rumble.But what stunned me is a wack of performance increase!Big mid range torque and top end improvement.I did have an Airaid PJ cai that did not do a thing,but perhaps with the improved flow ,helped out.Lot more tire spin and throttle response.My BBK ceramic shorties are on the way,( that will be a fun job)but it just shows how the stock quad set up does leave room for improvement.I do not miss the side pipe tunes,as the car sounds and hauls better than ever.
Still get some deep decel loud backfire with trackey,but sounds more like a alky sprint car decel.Boom!. Here are some pics of the work in.progress.Yes my car is a driver,so she is not a pretty sight underneath.Oh yeah,Photo B..will get em up soon

Adding more open mufflers will give the car a nice deep sound. I like the sound of the side pipes, especially with 7/8" plates or wide open, and track key. To me it sounds totally bad ass driving around town, revving to 4-5,000 RPM's and then letting off the gas. BTW I sell the block off plates if anyone needs a set.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel