The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
For the data nerds, there's good data here to see:

https://podium.live/events/nasa-st2-finals-whp-main-enduro/device/50mustang

in there @ArizonaBOSS is laps 17-58, and I represent laps 60-90. I'll go in and post up some neat comparison traces in a later edit of this post (cliffs: car was faster in his hands :) )

All the pictures seem to be of me in the car. however all the video is of AZB:

Saturday's race:

Sunday's race (or at least a few minutes of it):

WOW! I just joined a few days ago, but holy wow. What a ride @captdistraction. I have no idea how you kept it going but damn. Reading your journey was like reading a good novel:
First I was like:
qe7T89C.jpg

Then I was:
88iCmeL.jpg

After that it was kinda:
xt4Yk0u.jpg

Then it was a whole lot of:
VHk7fxy.jpg

GJGLCqF.jpg

wqFHmqV.jpg

Then there was a little:
YVaQmoQ.jpg

Then back to:
PH87ALQ.jpg

Then catching up to:
TFFE0fz.jpg

Seriously awesome job, can't wait to see what this next racing year brings you.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
We had our annual awards ceremony last night and what a blast it was to attend an event I daydreamed about for ages and never thought I'd actually pull through to see.

703eba511d26f98566a696722aaf14cf.jpg

I was awarded a fantastic trophy, and "the most expensive jacket I'll ever own".

5f8c6f7daab350f6e8be9d3c8d999a5f.jpg

It was great to sit with friends, enjoy the recognition and look back on a great year of racing.

For 2019, the car is being worked through in hopes of improving reliability and competitiveness. I've hit some snags (more at https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/some-track-related-legal-advice-needed.14443/ ) but the plan is be up and running by fall for shaking down and make some waves in 2020. I hate to miss all the fun winter and spring events, but I don't want to rush, make the same mistakes I've made in the past, and do this right. Besides, chilling a bit isn't the worst thing to do.

I just hopefully am not disappointing my sponsors and supporters along the way. I wanted to be ready to box come February, but cards are not lining up. The best is still yet to come.

Though at least in the interim, I have a 8200rpm mustang to ferry me back and to work that brings a smile

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
We had our annual awards ceremony last night and what a blast it was to attend an event I daydreamed about for ages and never thought I'd actually pull through to see.

703eba511d26f98566a696722aaf14cf.jpg

I was awarded a fantastic trophy, and "the most expensive jacket I'll ever own".

5f8c6f7daab350f6e8be9d3c8d999a5f.jpg

It was great to sit with friends, enjoy the recognition and look back on a great year of racing.

For 2019, the car is being worked through in hopes of improving reliability and competitiveness. I've hit some snags (more at https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/some-track-related-legal-advice-needed.14443/ ) but the plan is be up and running by fall for shaking down and make some waves in 2020. I hate to miss all the fun winter and spring events, but I don't want to rush, make the same mistakes I've made in the past, and do this right. Besides, chilling a bit isn't the worst thing to do.

I just hopefully am not disappointing my sponsors and supporters along the way. I wanted to be ready to box come February, but cards are not lining up. The best is still yet to come.

Though at least in the interim, I have a 8200rpm mustang to ferry me back and to work that brings a smile
It's been a long hard road for you, so happy to see your hard work and perseverance pay off. Goes to show what can happen when you refuse to give up.
Congratulations!

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Since recaps are popular: (this is just a joke)

racingreview.jpg

I'll get a real review done in the next few weeks.

Not much going on, the car is still waiting on motivation (figurative and literal) and more money, and I'm starting to slow down on wanting to keep throwing money while watching the season from the sidelines. Just too much cash for too little fun and the debt is stacking up. Taking my time and will try to make a couple events in 2019, and at least make good on the marketing partnerships I had brokered in 2018.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
In the meantime with the unfortunate issue with your engine , you can at least change your name above the driver's door to ;

Wynning Chris Wynne .....heh, you proved that point !! Congrats and hopefully someday I can run with you and AZ Boss? Have another Winter like this year I may just drag the Boss down South for a race or two?

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I've been meaning forever to go back and cut together some video from last year. This is one of two videos I'm working on (the other is a 2 minute highlight reel with some exterior footage too, probably next weekend for that).

This one is a sample lap from every weekend (with a bonus qualify session where I set the pole on the second lap, I tend to rarely qualify as well or quickly as I'd like):

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
A Quick update on the car. Its been 6 months since the car touched race surface, but I'm still hard at work getting it set. There's a lot going on outside racing, but I'm trying to keep the pace up to get the car back together as quickly as possible, especially between supplier and engine builder delays and also just making enough money to further support this nonsense.

That said, the current state of affairs is the chassis has been cleaned up.I tore it down and powerwashed and degreased everything. While I'm waiting on a motor that won't arrive before June, I'm at least cleaning up the growing mess of wiring (where I kept having to add circuits as I went along the last 2 years), making things easier to service and making more various improvements. At the end of this year I'll have to get a new helmet, belts, seat (or brace) and nets. I'll make some posts on those improvements to keep the thread a bit more lively.

Right now, the target NASA event in Arizona is November at the Wild Horse Pass West "Offroad" track. There's an October event, but its at a sound restricted track and usually very hot at that time of year as well, so not ideal to put the new car setup through as I don't trust the driver to take it easy on the freshened hardware. There's a ProAutosports August31/Sept1 event which will also be hot, but maybe a good opportunity to mess around in a street group. Unfortunately for me, this unforeseen delay is straining some of the relationships I built during the 2018 season, but I don't want to rush this and get into trouble, I'd like a couple years of fairly manageable racing to be ahead of me.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors