The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt, do you think you could post a link to where one might find the Boss 302S rollover check valve vent adapter?
Also, any tips on removing the EVAP system, especially the hose on the right side of the car that goes into the front right topside of the gas tank? TIA.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
capt, do you think you could post a link to where one might find the Boss 302S rollover check valve vent adapter?
Also, any tips on removing the EVAP system, especially the hose on the right side of the car that goes into the front right topside of the gas tank? TIA.

I’ll expand on all of that tomorrow as I continue efforts and take pictures. I hadn’t looked at the hose yet but ultimately I’d like to remove it.

The check valve assembly I picked up from another member, but I’m sure it originated at Watson Racing. I don’t see it on their site but I can maybe come up with a collection of parts is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you're back out having fun in your Mustang soon.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Looking more and more like January, but that's just over 3 months away, so will be here before I know it.

On the evap system, I removed it all today, just over 20lbs of junk, wiring and plumbing. I did install the boss 302S rollover check valve assembly (which is just a linear check valve assembly, a barb elbow on one end and a oem connector on the other), but I haven't routed vent hose. There's also a small line coming from the filler neck, I think its a vent line as well, but will have to research what to do with it.

IMG_4590.jpgIMG_4592.jpgIMG_4594.jpgIMG_4595.jpgIMG_4597.jpgIMG_4598.jpgIMG_4600.jpg

The small line that goes up along side the filler neck is a vent line and eventually turns into and pokes into the filler neck in an area where the gas can spout gets caught on it when refueling. Especially large diameter spouts and the VP fuel can spout. Do yourself a favor now that you have it apart and dremel off the part of the metal vent line inside the filler neck. Just a suggestion.
I did this and it works great.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Been a while, but following up on this thread:

Still around and trying to get the car together, but little progress towards finding a way back to racing (and the drive to get it done is naturally waning). I took over the regional ST series leader position from @ArizonaBOSS which is a great way to keep in the sport.

On the car side -

• Installed a Radium surge tank system to combat low fuel starvation events (with some very trick plumbing)
  • Optic armor glass front and rear to lose weight
  • Rewired the car to remove some weight and a lot of complexity, installed new fuse panels and busbars to simplify control of race circuits
  • Made use of a 3D printer and new metalwork tools to improve fabrication throughout the car, adding new materials and parts on the logic of "less is more" and "keep it clean". Result is so far a net 75lbs loss
  • Revised the mounting of a transmission cooler
  • Finished the evap system delete
  • Added more heat protection in vital areas
  • Setup brakes with new anti-knockback springs
  • Fabricated a new splitter setup
  • Installed a new column and steering wheel setup - modified how the key/pats system works
  • Installed a new FIA compliant fire system (8 nozzle vs the previous 4)
I thought about write ups for some of this stuff (and many old topics I've worked on before but hadn't really documented), but I've come to the conclusion there's not really any value in posting technical stuff here.

The community has shifted quite a bit since I opened this thread years ago. So I might use this thread in the future for tracking events, but less posting about the fabrication and setup of the car (and the engine thread).

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I thought about write ups for some of this stuff (and many old topics I've worked on before but hadn't really documented), but I've come to the conclusion there's not really any value in posting technical stuff here.
Please PM me more of your thoughts on this perspective. I'm actually hoping people will post MORE tech write ups here. I think there's value in them, and I think this is a great place to have them archived.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Please PM me more of your thoughts on this perspective. I'm actually hoping people will post MORE tech write ups here. I think there's value in them, and I think this is a great place to have them archived.

Hear Hear!!! This is a REALLY important part of TMO, for me at least... The go-to source of tech info on Mustangs

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
A lot of lurkers use the site for the tech and info posted here. But nobody is obligated to post more than they’re inclined to or have time and motivation for.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If it was a obligation!! No one would do it!!! Us being all free spirits etc etc. But it is nice to have feedback from people with great experience!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I find the technical content to be extremely valuable and something we all benefit from, of course if you still have the time to do so and it doesn’t detract from your enjoyment of the sport. Best of luck!
^ this. If you're willing to share the tech posts, a lot of people here do find it valuable and will be very grateful. But only if it makes sense for you to do so. I think the drama-free sharing of technical information is what draws so many of us to this site. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to document a given topic or experience in detail, with images and a good quality write-up, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Err, I didn't mean to sound so melodramatic; just caught up on the posts. My experience had been its a lot of work to get those posts together, but they either were

1) not relevant to TMO's core audience (there's only a few racers and most of what I am doing to the car doesn't fit the track-day-bro model)
2) For the effort it takes, I usually hear how it could be done better / should be done in some alternative way / is the reason why I am always broken and not racing

Mostly comes from the experience I've had on here as of late and the FB group (which I guess should be treated as two separate things). I barely have the time to work on the car itself, so I didn't see much value in spending more time writing things up (though I had been putting a lot of thought where to home that information because I'm oft asked via pm/email/FB on how I built something and would be nice to have a reference).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Capn, you have been distracted , but by no means worry about whether what you post is completely relevant to the core audience, as that is ever changing. Your posts are beneficial to many more than you likely are aware of , and often racers can glean something from them even if they are not at the same level of experience, passion, devotion, technical ability ,etc. as you--- feel free to fill in that blank. I know of quite a few folks who are looking to move to a more aggressive stance with their Mustangs and folks like you who have already been to Mod Heaven ( or Hell, ha) can substantially cut down on other's costs, trials, and experimentation. So hang in there, because there are a lot of items one comes up with when prepping a track machine that can carry over to others who are just getting into this passionate endeavor!

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Been a while, but following up on this thread:

Still around and trying to get the car together, but little progress towards finding a way back to racing (and the drive to get it done is naturally waning). I took over the regional ST series leader position from @ArizonaBOSS which is a great way to keep in the sport.

On the car side -

• Installed a Radium surge tank system to combat low fuel starvation events (with some very trick plumbing)
  • Optic armor glass front and rear to lose weight
  • Rewired the car to remove some weight and a lot of complexity, installed new fuse panels and busbars to simplify control of race circuits
  • Made use of a 3D printer and new metalwork tools to improve fabrication throughout the car, adding new materials and parts on the logic of "less is more" and "keep it clean". Result is so far a net 75lbs loss
  • Revised the mounting of a transmission cooler
  • Finished the evap system delete
  • Added more heat protection in vital areas
  • Setup brakes with new anti-knockback springs
  • Fabricated a new splitter setup
  • Installed a new column and steering wheel setup - modified how the key/pats system works
  • Installed a new FIA compliant fire system (8 nozzle vs the previous 4)

The community has shifted quite a bit since I opened this thread years ago. So I might use this thread in the future for tracking events, but less posting about the fabrication and setup of the car (and the engine thread).
In my opinion, the tech threads are the best part of the site.
I for one would love to see you continue to document your build.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Err, I didn't mean to sound so melodramatic; just caught up on the posts. My experience had been its a lot of work to get those posts together, but they either were

1) not relevant to TMO's core audience (there's only a few racers and most of what I am doing to the car doesn't fit the track-day-bro model)
2) For the effort it takes, I usually hear how it could be done better / should be done in some alternative way / is the reason why I am always broken and not racing

Mostly comes from the experience I've had on here as of late and the FB group (which I guess should be treated as two separate things). I barely have the time to work on the car itself, so I didn't see much value in spending more time writing things up (though I had been putting a lot of thought where to home that information because I'm oft asked via pm/email/FB on how I built something and would be nice to have a reference).
TMO might have a lot of members who are not racers, but make no mistake about it, the racers are still considered the core audience here. Any and all technical insights from racers should definitely be posted here.

As for hearing how it could be done better, I get that it's a little exhausting to see those kind of replies. Any time you share stuff in the racing world you're always going to get some criticism and people trying to show you where you went wrong - it's not just a TMO thing, it happens in all racing communities. Hopefully you'll just brush that stuff off and not let it dissuade you from sharing in the future.

As for choosing between the FB group and here, please share all your stuff here. The FB group is there for all those FB addicts who want to chit chat on that platform, and we use it as a tool to bring attention to this forum. But this is the real TMO. Anything posted in the FB group (and in any FB group or on peoples' FB walls) will get buried and will eventually become impossible to find in the FB abyss. That platform is more for chatting, it's not ideal for documenting anything technical that anyone would want to reference later. I wouldn't be upset if FB went away entirely, but the masses like to use it, despite its shortcomings for information archiving (among other things that we've grown to love about automotive enthusiast communities). If you're going to post stuff to reference/link people to, please do post it here in the forum where it can be found via Google searches too. Not on FB.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Bringing this back up. Some recent messages on FB have prompted me to think about documenting the car's build again and might as well do it here (I get at least 3 different mustang related message threads a day). I keep answering the same questions over and over, so might as well try and put them somewhere. That said, I'm not terribly interested in writing content for the sake of writing (especially if its irrelevant), so what do you guys want to see, general updates, detailed bits (individual threads, or just part of this one)? The car's completely rebuilt, classed and sitting in the garage. Made a healthy 463rwhp on a conservative tune. I took a billion photos along the way so can cover any of the topics done while refreshing the car. Everything fits together so much more nicely than before.

I went back and read all the thread, wow, I forgot how frustrated I get with this car. I can't promise that will ever change, but I did enjoy the bit where I said "I was coming for a championship", then later did exactly so even after a number of setbacks. Won't ever do that again but hope to be testing the car soon once the world stops ending.

In the V6L
Don't underestimate how much people who aren't racing will get out of your material. All kinds of inspiration and new knowledge that might not be relevant today, but some day it'll come back and be useful. Think about it this way - I have watched every Project Binky episode, including the two Howie Did It ones, in their entirety. Will I ever build a car out of sheets of metal and an endless supply of brackets and welds? No. Did I learn a ton? Absolutely. Did I start using 3D CAD to make new parts for the GT350? Yup. Am I buying a set of new machine tools so I can make new parts myself? Uh-huh. Is it making me happy? Absolutely.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors