The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car and Driver latest lightning lap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZL-1 turns in a 2:57.5 at VIR! How come this car seems to get faster in every test. Third behind a Ferrari and Lexus LFA. Beet the Porsche carrera S by a full second and the 13 GT 500 by 3 seconds. Man they made that tank handle, and I hate to say that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I forgot to mention the 1LE. What's up here?? We can all say they are big, ugly, hideous etc etc, but GM has apparently put the right stuff in the right places. My friend has a ZL-1 and I hate talking to him. I have zero comeback anymore.

Is it online? I haven't received my copy yet. Post up if anyone ever sees a new Camaro at a track. ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Is it online? I haven't received my copy yet. Post up if anyone ever sees a new Camaro at a track. ;)

Haven't gotten my print copy in the mail yet either :(

The only time I'll see a Camaro at the track is as a dot in my rearview mirror...or from behind as I am lapping them. No worries.

NFSBOSS said:

That gal in the yellow Transformers car is the only one I've seen. I've see Sasquatch more times than that!

OS_RJ5uBGBTfDhHlIsMLu_y_obVdszeDYGEcONJ03E0bp9ZuFA.jpg

The 1LE ran a 3:01.5, 1.3 seconds faster than a Boss LS ran last year. Sad. A 4100 pound whale with less power ran faster.

Cjmclean31 said:
Don't even see how possible, the car has less HP, more weight and no ZL1 suspension!

Well, it has more rubber on the road (285 all-around), so that's nice. Also, just because it doesn't have the ZL1 suspension, doesn't mean that it doesn't have a well-sorted suspension. GM does know what they are doing. Maybe better brakes? Even if they are very similar, maybe they have a better compound from the factory. I have not been impressed with the Boss brakes (at the track) using OEM pads. Not at all. Even something like that could make all the difference. A Chevy engineer did a 2:58 at VIR, so that time is for real and impressive. Props to Chevy.

I still think the Mustang is the better platform to build from.

Jimmy

Jimmy Pribble said:
Well, it has more rubber on the road (285 all-around), so that's nice. Also, just because it doesn't have the ZL1 suspension, doesn't mean that it doesn't have a well-sorted suspension. GM does know what they are doing. Maybe better brakes? Even if they are very similar, maybe they have a better compound from the factory. I have not been impressed with the Boss brakes (at the track) using OEM pads. Not at all. Even something like that could make all the difference. A Chevy engineer did a 2:58 at VIR, so that time is for real and impressive. Props to Chevy.

I still think the Mustang is the better platform to build from.

Jimmy

Correct, especially with the GT500, Ford under-tired the cars. 285s all the way around is huge. I just think ford went cheap in some key areas. I still love my Boss.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Tflong24 said:
Correct, especially with the GT500, Ford under-tired the cars. 285s all the way around is huge. I just think ford went cheap in some key areas. I still love my Boss.

Did Ford "Go Cheap" to save on tire costs or improve on CAFE/Mileage standards?

A bigger tire, which many of us already run without mods to the body, are easily mounted.

TMSBOSS said:
Did Ford "Go Cheap" to save on tire costs or improve on CAFE/Mileage standards?

It's all a balancing act. I still think the Boss is a bargain, considering the Roadrunner development. If they had to slim the tire (which as you point out is easily remedied), then so be it. That's why I say the Boss is better to build from. In my opinion, the engine is perfect. Done and dusted. Everything else can be easily fixed by the enthusiast.

Another thing to consider is the market. Based upon what everyone is saying about the number of Camaros spotted at the track, I bet a shiny new nickel that fewer 1LE packages will be sold, than Boss Mustangs. That means GM can have a super-slim margin for a car that won't sell in high numbers, but will take the track crown from the Boss in magazine comparisons. But then, that is the nature of the Pony Car Wars. Have no fear, the standard 2014/2015 Mustang GT will be faster than the all of these things and so on.

Jimmy

You sure cant complain about the battle between Ford and GM the last couple of years. The winner is all of us, including those who choose a Camaro. The level of affordable overall performance coming from both companies is pretty amazing.

Tflong24 said:
You sure cant complain about the battle between Ford and GM the last couple of years. The winner is all of us, including those who choose a Camaro. The level of affordable overall performance coming from both companies is pretty amazing.
I agree. It's much more of a win passing a new Porsche 911 GTS or Audi R8 V8 on track than worrying about whether or not a Camaro might be a bit faster. If the Camaro is faster this will give Ford motivation to make the next Mustang even faster. Besides all you need to do is put the same tires on both cars and they should be pretty equal. Every article I've read states the BOSS is still more fun to drive.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I said it before and I'll say it again - The bow-tie entries are pretty much at their limit as far as I can tell based on design, add a little $$$ to the Boss (tires, brake pads, suspension) and it'll at least equal if not beat both of those cars. If you assume tires and brake pads are consumable items, it would only cost you about $2500 plus installation for a 302S suspension. Also, it takes more of an experienced driver to get the most out of the Boss to drive it at it's limit than the Camaro. I've seen first hand what Roketman did with his Boss at Watkins Glen running Hoosier R6's, Carbo pads and the 302S suspension. The only car that could best him was an all out Porsche Cup race car. And not by very much...

PS: Just so everyone knows, I'm not against giving Chevy their due. The ZR-1/Z-06 cars are damn fast even for their price point. I've driven with a ZL-1 at LimeRock and the best time he posted was a 1:04 - 1:05 and change, driven by a motorsports writer who has a fair amount of experience. His comments were that it was just too heavy. I just feel I need to defend the Boss a little not so much because I own one but I really believe the differences between these cars in real life is well overstated. And, I don't trust the media anymore ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors