The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car and Driver Review 2013 Boss LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had my C&D sitting here for several days but hadn't cracked the cover. My favorite quote from the article:

" The roar is visceral and intimidating and remains utterly melodious from the depths of idle to the V-8’s 7500-rpm redline. Pin the right pedal, and the sound corrupts like an opiate; one sample and you’re hooked, doomed to spend the rest of your days cruising dark streets and freeway tunnels looking for a suitable place to take another hit of that sweet, thunderous elixir. Drop out of the gas, and the bellow retreats to staccato bursts of burbles and pops, the engine pulsing against backpressure like Zeus casually farting in his Olympian hot tub."

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
C/D TEST RESULTS*:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.7 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.9 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 161 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 150 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.96 g

I thought the ECU cut off fuel delivery at 155 due to the limits of the Z rated OEM tires?

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun/understanding-speed-rating

Shown below is what the speed rating letter equates to in MPH.

L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

I had thought that Z rating max speed was 155.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I find it interesting that some reviewers cannot stand the steering wheel feel of the Boss, others like it a lot.

Perhaps I am missing something, but my grille openings cool my radiator, not my brakes. Of course, I have a base car, so maybe I'm just not privy to the LS secrets. I had to install some orange hoses and some horseshoes with holes in them and some plastic bumper bits with holes and so on in order to cool my brakes.

TMO Supporting Vendors