The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car barely running after filling tank...OK a little later.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, here's a wierd one. Took my Boss to the track this past Friday. Car ran great...had a blast...I'll post a track report in a day or two. On the way home I stopped for gas at a Shell station. Filled up with some 93 octane and went inside to get a cold drink. When I came out and started up, the car was idling very rough and almost stalling out. I decided to start driving and see what happens. No power at all...could barely get up to 60, it was missing like crazy and then check engine light started flashing. I pulled off the road, and opened the hood looking for a loose hose or wire. All looked fine. I limped back to the gas station thinking I may have gotten a tank of water (been there, done that about 15 years ago...gas station paid $700 for my repairs). Guy at the station said nobody else was having any problems with their gas. I was 110 miles from home but I know there is a Ford dealer about 15 miles away so figured I try to make it there. Started the car and it was purring like a kitten...perfect idle. I got on the road and it ran fine...no miss...full power....no CEL. Drove home without a hitch. Car has been running flawlessly since. I plugged in a code reader today hoping to get some insight on the problem. NO CODES! I assumed if the check engine light had been flashing it would have set one or more codes. Nada. Any ideas on what the heck happened? I would hate to take it to the dealer only to have him tell me there is nothing wrong.

Hmmm, I've had my car start up like that 4-5 times now but it cleared itself out quickly and drove fine. I would say my car was like it was loaded up. All times this happened to me was when my car was warm to hot and outside temps were 90+.

It was not really too hot...maybe high 70's or low 80's. But so far no problems since.

I haven't had any issues like this and we've had pretty hot days in the Old Dominion. However, not as hot as Texas. I wonder if any of the forum members in Texas have experienced this. Sounds like this could be a good Stephen King movie. Maybe we can get the Boss to murder the Camaro and... ;D

Hey guys,
Same thing happened to me. I drove from home to local shopping center, just a few miles with the car running fine. Don't remember if the tank was full or not. Started back home and when I cranked it it was missing terribly. Tried to limp it out of the parking lot & check engine light comes on. I shut it down, re-started it, and it ran fine! No problems since then. I have not taken it to the dealer either because it seems to be doing OK now.
I thought I would wait til I go in to have TracKey software installed (if that ever happens) & get them to check for any codes then.
Stumpy
Competition Orange #0118

TMO Supporting Vendors