The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

car cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I keep the boss in the garage and have not really used the cover. Someone said that covers can cause condensation? Is it not good to use in the summer or winter?Anyone use their cover and when....only if its outside?

The covers are supposed to be breathable, but I don't know for certain. I personally do not use the cover for my car. The car is garaged at all times including over the winter. Before I drive it in the spring I wash it first to get any light dust off the car that may have accumulated during the winter. I have heard that in garages that are not heated that car covers can trap condensation, especially in cold weather areas. I would rather play it safe and just leave it uncovered...Also it is nice to go out and look at it on a cold winter day and dream about the spring. Just my .02.

cbj5259 said:
The covers are supposed to be breathable, but I don't know for certain. I personally do not use the cover for my car. The car is garaged at all times including over the winter. Before I drive it in the spring I wash it first to get any light dust off the car that may have accumulated during the winter. I have heard that in garages that are not heated that car covers can trap condensation, especially in cold weather areas. I would rather play it safe and just leave it uncovered...Also it is nice to go out and look at it on a cold winter day and dream about the spring. Just my .02.

I do the same. Additionally, I follow the owners manual and warm it up for quite a while every 2 weeks by backing it out several meters and pulling in when done.

I do have several friends with 98+ point 60's muscle cars and they all use covers. Just not for me.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Wouldn't a bit of moisture under the cover help plastic components on the car, specifically if you live in arid or semi-arid areas?

TymeSlayer said:
Wouldn't a bit of moisture under the cover help plastic components on the car, specifically if you live in arid or semi-arid areas?

Perhaps, but I'd be more concerned with the paint. Any tiny paint chips or exposed metal will have plenty of opportunities to rust with trapped moisture and then you have to worry about bubbling. I always try to fill any paint chips ASAP, but sometimes the small ones aren't noticed. In regard to the plastic parts, I would think temperature fluctuations would have more of an effect than moisture would. That's why a heated garage is ideal IMO.

I use my cover every night. If I park in the garage I only use it because my daughters cat loves to sleep on the warm hood. When I park outside in the morning when I take the cover off there is definately a good amount of moisture on the car depending upon what the humidity is. I always wipe it down before it dries.

I park in the garage AND use the cover. With the wife and boys coming in and out, seems like an easy thing to do to prevent a scratch. I've got a system now where I roll it front to back and then put it in the trunk. SF Bay Area with no humidity issues though.

The cover is not waterproof. After some rain I can see wet spots where the cover is soaked. But it isn't everywhere. I am thinking of trying some tent waterproofing spray on the cover after I wash it.

Go buy a $20 floor fan, place it in front of or behind the car, turn it on and forget about it. Keeps air moving 24/7. Had mine on for 1.5 years continuously. Car is also on a 9' x 18' floor mat and under cover (not the Boss cover). Garage not climate controlled. Car always looks great...no condensation issues.

Calif boss302 said:
I park in the garage AND use the cover. With the wife and boys coming in and out, seems like an easy thing to do to prevent a scratch. I've got a system now where I roll it front to back and then put it in the trunk. SF Bay Area with no humidity issues though.

I suppose if I were in that situation I would use the cover too, but no one goes in my garage except me. First because it's only a single bay and second because it's my domain!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel