The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car Setup Data Sheets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK I've taken the plunge and bought a set of Double Adjustable Two-Way SACHS Dampers from a Boss 302S.

I'll be installing them in a few weeks, but I wanted to document/keep records of the install and the subsequent changes.

I looked around and didn't find anything so I made up a few Excel spread sheets.

Below there's a link to a PDF for use trackside to record tire temps/tire pressure and suspension settings.

In the same folder there's an Excel spread sheet that has blue blocks for the data that will calculate the numbers for tire averages and the left rear to right front/right rear to left front. If you use your laptop at the track.

It also includes a tab for Corner-Weighting, keeping track of the Ride Height and a CG Estimator.

If you want them you'll need to download them with in the next 15 days because that's the end of the free hosting, unless one of you has access to a hosting site. Jimmy P you want to host these?

If there's something I overlooked let me know and I might make a change if you let me know............

Doug

P.S. There's also a shameless plug for a friends Shop on the top, He's also a damn good NASA AI driver!

https://dlarsen.egnyte.com/publicController.do?folderName=20130818&fileName=829439824dc84144

Nice work. So tell us more on the Sachs 302S setup.

Well not much to tell.

They are a lightly used set of SACHS dampers, they were used on the FR500S and they were the base Boss 302S dampers, the optional dampers were/are the Dynamic Dampers.

So to fit them to the Boss;

In the front I'll use the FRPP FR500S Caster/Camber Plate/M-18183-B to mount them

M-18183-B.jpg

The Front Damper is a "piggy" back remote reservoir design; adjustable for compression and rebound

M-18000-EFL.jpg

In the rear I'll use the FR500S Rear Shock Mount Kit/M-18197-A

M-18197-A.jpg

DSC01381.jpg

The rear is a remote reservoir again adjustable for compression and rebound. The remote will mounted in the trunk.

RearSACHSDamper.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

The whole set.

M-18000-E.jpg

I'm planning on using a 500lb spring in the front and a 300lb spring in the rear.

Here's the Ford Racing Setup Guide for the Dampers http://www.fordracingparts.com/Download/BOSS302SPDFs/Sachs_Damper_Guide_Boss302s.pdf

Should go good with all the other bits that are on the car right now;

- Ford Racing Boss 302S Bump Steer Kit
- Ford Racing Boss 302S Front Bushing Kit
- Ford Racing Boss 302S Front Lower Control Arms w/extended Ball Joint
- Ford Racing Boss 302R Rear Lower Control Arms
- Ford Racing Boss 302S Rear Lower Control Arm Brackets
- Ford Racing Boss 302 R/S Adjustable Panhard Bar
- Ford Racing FR500S Front Adjustable Swaybar Endlinks
- Ford Racing Sway Bar Kit
- Strano Rear sway bar: 1 inch Solid Chrome-Moly, 2-position Adjustable
- Steeda Adjustable Upper Control Arm - Comp

What the front will look like after the install

hrdp_0810_07_zford_mustang_fr500ssuspension.jpg

I never get tired when I'm asked why..........Because..........Race Car ::)

Nice! I will be anxious to hear about your results as you test different setups. I am looking for more forward bite out of the rear when accelerating through corners. Any suggestions on suspension adjustments? I really feel like I am having to wait too long to get back to WOT compared to my GT500. It does have a torque arm though and am wondering if that's the main difference.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cool! Interested to hear how you like the new suspension on-track.

Longacre sells reams of pre-arranged setup sheets, but they might not be to your liking.

cloud9 said:
Nice! I will be anxious to hear about your results as you test different setups. I am looking for more forward bite out of the rear when accelerating through corners. Any suggestions on suspension adjustments? I really feel like I am having to wait too long to get back to WOT compared to my GT500. It does have a torque arm though and am wondering if that's the main difference.
Did your Watts link help at all?

Dusting this one off from a few weeks ago.... OP, are there part numbers on the SACHS parts? Are they available via retail? I noticed FRPP took the FR500S part listing down from their latest catalog and they don't list any coil over kits for the BOSS/later S197 GTs either...

Z20WHAT said:
Dusting this one off from a few weeks ago.... OP, are there part numbers on the SACHS parts? Are they available via retail? I noticed FRPP took the FR500S part listing down from their latest catalog and they don't list any coil over kits for the BOSS/later S197 GTs either...

Well when I purchased my SACHS I knew FRPP was just about of stock and was going to just offer the Dynamics manufactured by Multimatic going forward for their race cars.

So here's what I know as far as support for the SACHS.

The rears are custom valved RD-45's, I'm sure you would just have to ask for them to be valved to either FR500S or Boss302S spec.

follow link, see page 25

http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/corporate_2/products_3/motorsports_1/product_range_motorsports/catalogue/sachs-racing/RDS_zf.pdf

for sale here

http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_119_176

The fronts are application specific, haven't checked with ZF SACHS NA if they would made a new body if I was to damage it beyond repair. The Porsche 911 Cup cars used a very similar piggyback front damper.

SACHS does offer rebuilds/servicing, Dean Dodge at ZF SACHS NA is the go to guy [email protected].

A bunch of the Porsche guys go to David Glenn.

Taken from RENNLIST.COM

If you have Sachs dampers, you need to talk with him. Great, quick service at more than reasonable cost, and the car? Well, let's just say it's transformed when running over FIA curbing. Planted and so very smooth. Night and day difference.

You can get David at [email protected] or 386 405 1249. He's now retired from PMNA, but he still rebuilds Sachs products and has a good supply of parts, a dyno and years of knowledge.

My goal was to get my dampers reset to factory standard so that I have a good starting point. I should have sent them to David when I first bought the car. Live and learn. PMNA suggest a refresh annually; David suggests bi-annually.

TMO Supporting Vendors