The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car Trailer for your Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
For those of you with car trailers I am in the market for one. What are your recommendations for length, width, and a good brand for both open and enclosed trailers? I am looking into both open and enclosed.

Thanks

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I have an Aluma Model 8220 open tilt trailer that I'm very happy with. It can haul up to 7500 lbs and has a 9000 lb axle rating. Torsen suspension, all LED lights, tilt bed with pneumatic tilt control, etc. It's built like a tank and is still light compared to steel trailers. It's heavier than some other aluminum trailers due to it's construction and load rating. The tilt bed is about 21' with about 2 1/2' In front of it where you can mount gas cans (which I did). I have use a Chevy Silverado with the 5.2L V8 and towing package to haul it and the Boss with no problems. If you go with an enclosed trailer be prepared to require a more substantial truck like a Chevy 2500 or an F-250 with the larger V8's. Be cautious to not choose a truck that has a tow limit anywhere near the weight you are towing. My Silverado is rated for 9600 lbs and I usually pull about 6000 total lbs with the tools in the bed - and that is just about all she can safely handle for long runs, especially in bad weather or very hilly terrain. Enclosed are very nice and protect the car well, however you not only need the right truck but you pay dearly for gas. My setup gets 12 MPG @ 65 MPH. Some of my buddies with 24' aluminum enclosed trailers are luck if they get 1/2 of that.

Pics are here: http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/pdesisto/Aluma%20Trailer/

I had a 20' M&S open tilt-bed trailer produced locally that I really liked. It weighed 2,000 lbs and had a 4,000 lb cargo capacity. It pulled like it wasn't even back there and my mileage on my 2008 F-150 was around 11 mpg pulling at 80 mph! The only downside was it didn't provide any cargo space so everything I brought with me other than the car had to go into the pickup bed.

009ygr.jpg

Once my wife started going along regularly she made me get something with an awning, room for a grill, lounge chairs and a table :D I sold my open trailer to drano38 and picked up a used 28' Haulmark enclosed. I also traded in the '08 F-150 for a 2011 Ecoboost F-150 with 11,700 lbs of towing capacity. The trailer weighs about 5,000 lbs empty and 10,000 loaded with the car, spare wheels/tires, rotors, spare parts, food, gille chairs etc etc etc ;D Mileage is about 8 driving 70 mph :'(

trucktrailer.jpg

I currently have a 2006 Featherlite 3110, 17'6" aluminum trailer. It tows like a dream. I have been the route of enclosed and although they are great for the serious track guy, they are a real PIA also. I had a Haulmark Race Trailer 24'. Very well made trailer.

bossontrailer.jpg

11vert.jpg

With my guard dog Rusty.....
Trailershot2rusty.jpg

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
Good info - thanks guys.

I'm looking for an open tilt-type aluminum trailer for my Boss. There's an Aluma dealer close to me and I've been thinking about picking up a trailer similar to Pete's. I've also been looking at Jimglo.

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:
I had a 20' M&S open tilt-bed trailer produced locally that I really liked. It weighed 2,000 lbs and had a 4,000 lb cargo capacity. It pulled like it wasn't even back there and my mileage on my 2008 F-150 was around 11 mpg pulling at 80 mph! The only downside was it didn't provide any cargo space so everything I brought with me other than the car had to go into the pickup bed.

009ygr.jpg

Yep, its been a great trailer for me too. I even bought that set of Enkei's. ;D
I'm amazed how well my 2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a 4.7L pulls it. Luckily its got a tranny cooler, and the flat midwest makes it work. I run a weight distribution hitch also.
Gary had the fenders welded on low enough to clear an open car door. Genius idea!
So think about fenders--low mount, swing out, removable. Since you're leaning toward aluminum, removable fenders are light enough to handle. But not having to remove/swing them out at all is even better.
Watch for bed length and tilt angle to minimize splitter scraping. The extra length reduces the tilt angle.
A winch is great. I'd never want to drive onto the trailer without a spotter. And if your car breaks down--my day is coming--the winch will prevent a bad day from getting worse.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
PeteInCT said:
I have an Aluma Model 8220 open tilt trailer that I'm very happy with. It can haul up to 7500 lbs and has a 9000 lb axle rating. Torsen suspension, all LED lights, tilt bed with pneumatic tilt control, etc. It's built like a tank and is still light compared to steel trailers. It's heavier than some other aluminum trailers due to it's construction and load rating. The tilt bed is about 21' with about 2 1/2' In front of it where you can mount gas cans (which I did). I have use a Chevy Silverado with the 5.2L V8 and towing package to haul it and the Boss with no problems. If you go with an enclosed trailer be prepared to require a more substantial truck like a Chevy 2500 or an F-250 with the larger V8's. Be cautious to not choose a truck that has a tow limit anywhere near the weight you are towing. My Silverado is rated for 9600 lbs and I usually pull about 6000 total lbs with the tools in the bed - and that is just about all she can safely handle for long runs, especially in bad weather or very hilly terrain. Enclosed are very nice and protect the car well, however you not only need the right truck but you pay dearly for gas. My setup gets 12 MPG @ 65 MPH. Some of my buddies with 24' aluminum enclosed trailers are luck if they get 1/2 of that.

Pics are here: http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/pdesisto/Aluma%20Trailer/

Is there a way to mount a winch on it?

TMO Supporting Vendors