The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbon buildup in intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good day everyone,

Today i was cleaning the cai and the throttle body on my boss and when i removed the throttle body i noticed black carbon soot in the walls of the intake manifold ... not a noticeable thick pile but when i put my finger in my finger was totally black.

Please advice if it is normal or should i remove the intake manifold and get it cleaned ?? My mechanic says that its normal and won't affect performance neither affect smoothness of the engine... so i just raised this point for our expert collegues for advice.

Thanks,

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
It’s just oil residue from the PCV system. Yeah it’s pretty much harmless. An oil separator on the passenger side can help reduce the amount of oil vapor going through the intake. Oil can reduce the knock resistance of your fuel if you get enough in the intake. I doubt you are at that point.

nothing to worry about, back in the old days it was usually caused by valve overlap on extremely high RPM camshafts. Today, not so much, usually the PCV as mentioned.

TMO Supporting Vendors