The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbon Ceramic Brakes - four years experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
Four years and five days ago, I posted this new thread: https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/carbon-ceramic-brakes-theyre-on.12573/.

Since then, I've run 31 track days and 8 slalom-style events with these original front Chev/Brembo OEM rotors. The slalom event courses are laid out like a competitive slalom, but we run without timing and scoring. In a normal day, you get between 40 and 50 runs. In short, I've run these brakes a lot.

Back when I decided to take the plunge, there was a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt about carbon ceramic brakes. A decade of bad experiences with Porsche's PCCB's had really damaged the carbon ceramic technology's reputation. Claims about them being fragile or unreliable or whatever abounded. Then Chevy stuck them on the Corvette and Dodge stuck them on the Viper ACR-X. Suddenly, they were real and they worked. And, after four years of real-world experience, I can confirm that they're amazing, full stop.

It's hard to describe how easy your life gets once you have them. Once they're on, you can just stop thinking about brakes and focus on everything else. If you're a regular on this forum, you know that about once a month, maybe more often, someone posts a "my brakes are giving me trouble" thread. It's a a never-ending parade of rotor problems and pad problems. Well, this thread is the opposite - thanks for asking, my brakes work great.

From a durability standpoint, they've been stunning. The carbon ceramic rotors are very smooth - like a dinner plate smooth. Cool them well (I have Vorshlag deflector plates) and they last much longer than iron and the pads wear very slowly too. I experimented at first with a few different pad types, but then I put in a set of Pagids and just ran them on the street and on the track until they wore out. Which they didn't. The Pagid's that I started running in 2018 have about 20 track days and most of the slalom events on them and they're good for a while yet.

Which brings me to the updates I've done last year and this year. In 2019, I installed the rear ceramic rotor kit that keeps the parking brake working, and then last year I installed RB's rear calipers. The rear calipers are radial-mount top loaders with stainless pistons that take a bigger ("F40") pad, so even longer pad life and less heat stress all around. And, because they're radial-mount, you can take the rear rotors off without having to disassemble the parking brake. And, as I mentioned earlier, the GT350 parking brake still works.

This year I swapped out the used but still good front friction rings and Pagid pads for RB's new "CCM" rings and their new ST600 brake pads. I did it for two reasons. First, I wanted to have the same type of friction rings front and back. Second, while the Pagid pads were still serviceable, I was going to need new pads soon and the ST600's were released just in time. If you're wondering what's so special about CCM friction rings, CCM is a long-fiber technology pioneered by Surface Transforms and it handles heat even better than the Chev/Brembo OEM rings I had originally. Not only that, the rings from RB are directional - they have angled internal vanes to improve cooling, where most carbon ceramic rotors have straight vanes.

The inspiration for changing the fronts to CCM goes all the way back to when I started with carbon ceramic. As I said in the original 2017 post, I'm an early adopter. I wanted to know how it worked, and now that I know, it's time to dig into the newest CCM technology. Ditto the ST600 pads. RB says they set out to match the Pagid RSC1 pads, and having run them on track once, I thinking they pretty much pulled it off. I ran the new RB ST600 pads on all four corners at Area 27 last week (first time out this year) and braking was excellent.

Here's the way it all looks today:

Fronts - with the new CCM ring and the OEM Brembo calipers. Note the 35mm spacers - I run OEM 11" GT350 wheels on all four corners. I don't care about the weight of the OEM rims because each CCM front rotor weighs 14 pounds less than an OEM iron rotor. That makes the total wheel + brake weight 2 pounds lighter than you get with GT350R carbon fiber rims and regular iron brakes. What I like best about this is that the lower weight stays on the car when you change from one set of wheels to another.

1624486937950.png
Here's the rear setup with the RB caliper - this setup reduces the rear rotor plus wheel weight by about 7 pounds, so it's not quite as light as a GT350R:
1624487032317.png

Dust - did I mention the lack of brake dust with carbon brakes? This OEM GT350 rear rim just went 500 highway miles to and from the track as well as 100 miles on track. The dust that's there looks like road dust to me, not brake dust:

1624486853971.png

Rear pad size comparison - "F40" pad for the RB rear caliper on the left and OEM GT350 pad on the right. There's a lot more meat in the F40.

1624488086928.png

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I'd be interested in a cost breakdown too, as well as some pics of the Brembo ceramics you had before you swapped them, as these are the ones that saw the most use in your setup as you've recently put the RB rotors.

In the V6L
I'd be interested in a cost breakdown too, as well as some pics of the Brembo ceramics you had before you swapped them, as these are the ones that saw the most use in your setup as you've recently put the RB rotors.
I can work up part of the cost breakdown - what a set of pads and rotors cost in carbon ceramic - but I put carbon on so soon after taking delivery that I don't have any usable data regarding the cost of running iron brakes.

In terms of how the original Chevy/Brembo OEM rotors have aged, here's a shot from July 2017 after one track day. I was trying out sintered metal pads at the time, so there's a metallic sheen on the rotor:

1624552792228.png

Here's a picture from May 2020 of the same rotor. It had 26 track days at this point:

1624549468645.png

And here's a picture from today of the now-retired rotor:

1624552969204.png

This photo is also from today and it shows what the Pagid pads looked like when I took them out of service. The caliper shows the friction material depth at around 6.5mm. They started out with 12mm of pad material, so let's say 6mm used in 20 track days - that's about 0.3mm per outing. I'll use them down to about 5 mm, so there may be another four or five track days left in them.

1624550578675.png
I've only done one drive with the ST600 pads, but they look like they're wearing at about the same rate. It's hard to be sure after just one day at the track, though.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Thanks a lot for all the info. I can work out the iron rotors / pads life and cost on my own based on my usage, but your feedback and data is valuable intel!
It won't be for this year for sure for me but those are definitely on the short list of upgrades for the future.

In the V6L
So, I'm updating this thread to cover the new RB front calipers that I installed earlier this year for the 2022 track day season. They're forged aluminum top-loaders with stainless pistons, no exposed dust boots and they take a wide range of pads - OEM GT350, Corvette, Viper, Ferrari, etc. The machine work on them is a work of art:

1662921112164.png

The specific calipers I have are actually made to work with either 380mm or 394mm rotors - a 7mm spacer is the difference. I'm using them with 394 CCM rotors, but they'd work fine with CCM or iron 380's.

Here's a view of the installed calipers with RB ST600 (Corvette form factor) pads in them:

1662921033326.png

The install was great, but this year's track day season was challenging. I did one day back in May and didn't get to the track again until August 30 and 31. The August weather was perfect and so were the new brakes.

Anyway, so much for how they look standing still. Here's an action shot:

1662920930816.png

This shot is lifted from a beautiful photo by Kirk Myhre of MC Motorsports Design. If you're driving with Turn2 at the Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton WA, Kirk is usually there and his work is spectacular. Worth signing up for.

As for how the brake system as a whole works when you're driving, well, it's easy - you can forget about brakes and just drive. No heat problems, no fade problems, no headaches. One of the big differences with carbon ceramic brakes is that everything wears slowly. Rotors last a long time and brake pads last a long time. Pads wear slowly enough that they're almost a seasonal maintenance item, not a week-by-week issue.

So, while they're a significant investment, in my experience they're worth it. Would I do it again? YES!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel