The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbon Fiber finish preference with poll!

Exposed Carbon Fiber finish preference?

• Gloss

• Satin

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone,

I want to find out what everyone's preference is when it comes to exposed carbon fiber exterior body parts I am developing for S197 cars. I'm talking about aerodynamic parts such as wings, splitters, canards, and diffusers. The options are satin or gloss clear-coat.

Please participate in the poll above and let us know what you think! Additional explanation in the thread is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Photo for reference:
43065514511_5c5bc8f610_z.jpg Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr

I tend too like shiny things! But would be interested in which ever of the two was more durable for track use.

Gloss will show more imperfections such as scrapes and bruises, however these imperfections can be polished out much like car paint. Satin on the other hand, will show less abuse but imperfections can't be polished out. It must be sanded and re-sprayed satin clear. Finishes of course have no bearing on the actual strength of the part.

I'm struggling with the "function>form", "no-nonsense" look of the satin compared with the beautiful "show" appearance of clear. It is for that reason that I'm opening it up to potential customers to decide.

For initial launch it will be one or the other for the sake of efficiency (read: part cost), with the possibility of opening up options down the line.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I know it's not part of the poll...and I understand the cost and risk of offering both...

Why not offer both? Even if you regularly stock one finish, I'm sure there would be people who would wait for their preferred finish in separate production runs. I don't really see people mixing styles on their cars, and that there would be requests for the 'other' finish regardless of which one you produce.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel