The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbon Fiber wheels on track - An Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thought I'd post a note about my use of the oem cf wheels on track after owning my R for around 1.5 years. I had originally debated whether to use the cf wheels on track, street, neither or both. I settled on using them on track day events only (with the sc2 tires) and have used aftermarket for street (ps4 tires). Thus, after 21 total track days / 69 separate sessions, can report that it was a good decision for me.

They have held up very well through these HPDE events that include Sebring, Daytona, Barber, Road Atlanta, Firm, Roebling - all mostly in Intermediate level run groups. I recently spent some time spit-polishing them and have found only a few paint chips and other surface blemishes. There is a shallow groove in the paint finish in a rear wheel but that was developed early on during street driving, perhaps even driving it home from the dealer.

I made the decision to use them exclusively on track due to the fact that the car was bench-marked against the GT3 and the wheels were no doubt a big part of that equation. Of course, my whole plan with the car was to use it fully for its intended function - so understand if others have made other decisions on their use. Yes, it's been a bit of pain to have new tires installed on a fairly regular basis (local Ford dealer), but feel its been worth it as the car totally wakes up when they're on vs. the aftermarket knock-offs (25lbs vs. ~18). I've also had some issue with track duty brake dust forming on the wheels, which was remedied using ironx remover. I confirmed with Carbon Revolution was safe for the wheel but remain cautious when using.

So for anyone contemplating the same, I say go for it and use them as they are intended. The front end is much livelier with a bigger smile to mile ratio.

TMO Supporting Vendors