The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbotech pad issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone seen carbotech pads do this? These are XP24's put on new stock rotors and I did follow the bedding procedure. This is only after 3 days, they work well, and the rotors look good. Just found this when I removed them today to put the street setup back on.

pad%203.jpg

pad%202.jpg

Pad%201.jpg

My Pagid's do that a bit too. I think they're fine but maybe other Carbotech users have a different opinion.

I toasted a brand new set of XP24's in two sessions. They were similar to yours in appearance but they were worn about half way after the first 2 sessions. About half way thru the first session I could tell that something was wrong. Brake fade was terrible. The pads just crumbled into pieces. And yes, I have brake ducts. Figured I would try them once, went back to pagids.

NFSBOSS said:
My Pagid's do that a bit too. I think they're fine but maybe other Carbotech users have a different opinion.
I've seen my Hawk DTC70s do that sometimes as well. It looks like they're wearing evenly and as long as you don't have chunks coming off (which I don't see from your photos) I think you're fine.

Had a set of XP24's crumble pretty badly recently. I experienced no fade or brake performance decrease on track. I even checked the pads, while in the calipers, after the last session and everything looked ok. However, after a couple of days later when i went to replace the pads with a new set, i noticed the edges were falling apart.

I didn't think too much of it, because the pads were worn down to the wear indicator notch.
I'll be keeping a close eye on my current set. Hope it's not a common characteristic, because I really dont feel like experimenting with new pads again!

0155830404560711_5420329292682115114_n_zpsjzxm8vcd.jpg

I sent the pics to carbotech and this was his response, "That is all completely normal. I know they look terrible and it is unusual, but it is normal. The pads are fine, will work as well as they have been and will last a good while longer."

My XP 20's did not do this as these kind of crumbled in the middle. I'll see what they do next month after I run a couple more days.

TMO Supporting Vendors