The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbotech pad swap question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012YellowBoss said:
908ssp said:
The shim is often made of stainless or titanium both help insulate heat from getting in the fluid. The premium calipers use titanium rings embedded in the pistons to isolate heat from the fluid. I'd run the shims no reason not to.

That is correct as far as I know.

I had problems boiling the brakes a few months ago and installed heat shields from Hard Brakes, no issues this weekend.

Hey Scott,
What pads are using now and how happy are you with them? I remember you had some problems with Hawk

Jza1736 said:
Hey Scott,
What pads are using now and how happy are you with them? I remember you had some problems with Hawk

I used Hawk HP+ as a beginner and they work well but when you really start driving the car they can not hold up. They would last 4 days but if I put a set on now I would burn them out before lunch.

I tried a set of ST43 up front and they worked very well and took the heat. I had a set used at HMS with about 60% left on at Sebring and boiled them in the second sesson 11 minutes in. I am not sure it was the pads fault but I did take off the speed bleeders and added the shields. This weekend I ran a set of PFC 97's, great wear but they are not up the heat and started getting big cracks in them. However no other issues and did not get any brake fade. Going to try some PFC's with a better heat rating next.

cloud9 said:
bluemax said:
Thanks for everyone's comments/thoughts.

I believe I am ready for next week end, well at least the car... now I got to work on the tow pig and trailer. ;)
Well good luck and have fun! We'll be waiting for your report 8)

Hey Gary,

I swapped the backing plate from the OEM brake pads to the hawk's and there was very limited squel the whole day. But un the drive home, I'm guessing they cooled with all th highway and ez driving. They were loud. I'll be swapping them back to OEM today. The DTC 70/60 combo did a great job of stopping the car. I just need to trust them more, I'm still breaking a little early. I'm still learning :)

Limerock is a real fun track! Very fast and nice rhythm.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Backing plates or not the hawks will squeal like the devil if they are not hot, and it gets worse as the pads/rotors wear. At least that has been my experience with my previous track car.

PeteInCT said:
Backing plates or not the hawks will squeal like the devil if they are not hot, and it gets worse as the pads/rotors wear. At least that has been my experience with my previous track car.
Glad they worked well for you Jason. Yep they get louder when they cool, but also as you scrub the layer of pad material off the rotors. I bet if you look at your rotors they're shiny clean versus the dull grey when you bed the pads in. ;)

cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
Glad they worked well for you Jason. Yep they get louder when they cool, but also as you scrub the layer of pad material off the rotors. I bet if you look at your rotors they're shiny clean versus the dull grey when you bed the pads in. ;)

Yeah they were actually very shiny. I swapped the OEM pads back in today and I love the silence.

Cold DTCs will always squeal which makes them unsuitable for the street. But with the shims they are fine on track. I like the stopping power of the DTC70/60 combo but not excited about pad life...about 3 track days. Heard good things about Cobalt Friction and Carbotech but have a set of Pagid RS-29s I'll be trying next.

ChuckP said:
Cold DTCs will always squeal which makes them unsuitable for the street. But with the shims they are fine on track. I like the stopping power of the DTC70/60 combo but not excited about pad life...about 3 track days. Heard good things about Cobalt Friction and Carbotech but have a set of Pagid RS-29s I'll be trying next.

Been emailing back and forth with Andie at Cobalt Friction. I'll be ordering a set of front pads and possibly rears too. He recommended the XR1 compound for the fronts and XR3 for the rears. They are slightly more expensive than the Hawks but if they last longer, it will be well worth it.

It sounds like he is not stocking this pad at this time but he will be putting in a new batch next week and will be ready to ship on the 18th. Just in time for 3 brake killing days at Road America at the end of the month. ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Dean#4AI said:
Been emailing back and forth with Andie at Cobalt Friction. I'll be ordering a set of front pads and possibly rears too. He recommended the XR1 compound for the fronts and XR3 for the rears. They are slightly more expensive than the Hawks but if they last longer, it will be well worth it.

It sounds like he is not stocking this pad at this time but he will be putting in a new batch next week and will be ready to ship on the 18th. Just in time for 3 brake killing days at Road America at the end of the month. ;D

Dean... tell Andie I'll be ordering another front set within the next two weeks. I really like the CFs on this car. I got about 5 weekends out of the fronts. Probably another 20+ weekends left on the rears. Sometimes wonder if they actually do anything.

Did you get a NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA discount? Don't forget to mention that!

JScheier said:
Dean... tell Andie I'll be ordering another front set within the next two weeks. I really like the CFs on this car. I got about 5 weekends out of the fronts. Probably another 20+ weekends left on the rears. Sometimes wonder if they actually do anything.

No problem John, I'll let him know.

Wow, I can't imagine getting 5 weekends from a set of fronts. 8)

I had bought pads from him back in 2006 soon after I started W2W so he had me in his database already. I had forgotten anything about discounts until he mentioned that my name had already been tagged with the discount. ;D

I really can't remember why I stopped using them but it may have had something to do with Hawk's regional contingency program. ???

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Dean#4AI said:
I really can't remember why I stopped using them but it may have had something to do with Hawk's regional contingency program. ???

That's why I stopped running them. Spreadsheets show that the Hawks didn't last as long and the contingency dollars were basically a wash. Add order time (and waiting) and the CFs became a better choice.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Here's a related question on Carbotech pads. I just bought a set of XP-08's for my son's front Wilwood calipers (wasn't too happy with the Wilwood 'B' pads at all, which I am told are actually made by Raybestos). I havn't used Carbotech pads in abuot 3 years and don't remember the two rivets I am seeing between the backing plate and the pad compound material. ARe these mean't not to be worn down to or can you get closer to the backing plate before replacing the pads ?

Georgia
Well here is another noob question... ::)

Putting the oem pads back on for the street, I marked everything when I pulled them off (to put the Carbotech's on) and now I am second guessing myself.

The front pads have a taper on one end which is on the opposite end of the white arrow direction printed on the back of the pad. In other words, the arrow is pointing in the opposite direction of the taper.

My question, does the taper go towards the bottom of the caliper and the arrow pointing up? Thanks!

Are you all set? For others the taper goes towards the rear and the white arrow points towards the front of the car.

JScheier said:

Told Andie that you were going to be ordering a set in a few weeks. He did mention that you were running the XR2 front compound and he recommended the XR1 for me. He said he wanted give me the same agressive pad as the DTC70s. Hope I get the same amount of wear as you do but not real confident.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Dean#4AI said:
Told Andie that you were going to be ordering a set in a few weeks. He did mention that you were running the XR2 front compound and he recommended the XR1 for me. He said he wanted give me the same aggressive pad as the DTC70s. Hope I get the same amount of wear as you do but not real confident.

I talked to Andie this morning... ordered the same XR2s up front. Ran them this weekend (2 days x 5 sessions = 10 sessions) and am finally nearing the end of the pad. Will probably carry them as a spare set.

I guess I'm just not as aggressive a braker as you guys... must be why I'm slow ;)

Note: Just pulled by XR2s off the front... they are done. Got them right down to the bonding agent (less than 2mm left). That's 6 full weekends :)

drano38

Wayne
PeteInCT said:
Here's a related question on Carbotech pads. I havn't used Carbotech pads in abuot 3 years and don't remember the two rivets I am seeing between the backing plate and the pad compound material. ARe these mean't not to be worn down to or can you get closer to the backing plate before replacing the pads ?

Pete,
Stay away from the rivets.
I ordered another set of front XP12 and also their 1521 street pads (I've had enough of the rotor swap game!) directly from Carbotech this morning.
Mike Jr said don't go less than .120" pad material because less than that will expose the rivets and/or catches that hold the pad material onto the backing plate.

TMO Supporting Vendors