The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbotech pad swap question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Don't have enough miles or track days (1) yet to determine rotor life. So far with brand new DBA 5000 front no edge has developed after 215 track and 1200 road miles. I must say with the Hawks rotor wear was minimal as well. I use the brakes moderately hard on track, don't think I go anywhere as deep as you, yellow boss or Gary on track so I don't reall eat up pads, rotors or tires.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
im lazy and haven't read every post, so if i'm redundant, forgive me. last year, i was screwing around with different carbotech pad types on my brembo GT. XP8's were weak. XP10's cracked after 1 day. XP16's were just gone after 1 day. all three occurred on the stock brake setup. all compounds were recommended by carbotech in the order listed. the last suggestion was XP12 to match the heat range i had been describing. and why not? there weren't many choices left! the big thing was i found out they offer degassing, which is the main purpose of bedding brakes. i think it was about $10 more per axle. i opted for it without hesitation and all i can say is its a fantastic thing! i throw the pads on and go! i didn't do anything to bed them aside from easing into my normally tight braking zone. won't do it another way again. the pads held up well, performed as i expected and i had less dusting.

for my next event in 2 weeks, i am sporting a homebrew brake cooling setup. i am anxious to see how that will effect my braking. i am hoping temps will go down enough to be able go back down to an XP10 to make driving to the track on them a bit more tolerable.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Off in another thread (I don't recall which) I posed brake caliper temps for my front (vented) calipers vs. my rears. If I remember correctly my fronts were almost 100 degress lower than my rears when readings were taken in the hot pits. For our cars I believe the brake cooling vents are a requirement if you are going to track the car.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i knew the cooling ducts would do well to balance the temperatures out, but didn't expect they would go below the rears! thats incredible! do you have the FRPP kit?

cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
I'm sure I won't be as hard on them as you are but things can change once you get out on the track. ;D
I'll be pitting with Bruce (owner of FTBR) and his 302S so I'm sure I'll have several hard runs trying to keep up with him. He holds the American Iron record with that car at a 2:32:087 so I doubt I will stay with him long. :eek:
Grrr....yea I got into the lower 2:35s and I think with different tires could get 34s or maybe a fluke 33 in the right conditions. Outside of that we need another 50hp and a couple hundred less pounds......something to work on this winter ;D

Better order another set of front pads to take with you ;)

Road America 1 Cobalt Friction 0 Me -$300 :(

PeteInCT

Connecticut
pufferfish said:
i knew the cooling ducts would do well to balance the temperatures out, but didn't expect they would go below the rears! thats incredible! do you have the FRPP kit?

Yes, it is the stock LS brake cooilng setup. I should add to this though that when those temps were taken I was using Hawk DTC-60's in my rears and Pagid RS-29's up front. The DTC-60's were very aggressive pads that totally did a number on my rear rotors while the Pagids do not. I suspect that the temps may be a bit more balanced now that I have Pagids both front and rear (RS-14 front which is a little more aggressive than the RS-29's I was using - and RS-56's in the rears).

Dean#4AI said:
cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
I'm sure I won't be as hard on them as you are but things can change once you get out on the track. ;D
I'll be pitting with Bruce (owner of FTBR) and his 302S so I'm sure I'll have several hard runs trying to keep up with him. He holds the American Iron record with that car at a 2:32:087 so I doubt I will stay with him long. :eek:
Grrr....yea I got into the lower 2:35s and I think with different tires could get 34s or maybe a fluke 33 in the right conditions. Outside of that we need another 50hp and a couple hundred less pounds......something to work on this winter ;D

Better order another set of front pads to take with you ;)

Road America 1 Cobalt Friction 0 Me -$300 :(
Bummer. We need to figure out a better brake option for that track next year.

Hawks eat rotors, as Pete said, my rotors last through one set of pads on my 2800 lb (including driver) track car. I really like how they perform but I can't afford to run them on a car with this expensive of rotors.

My track rotors are $11, I haven't seen that kind of options for the Boss ;)

Hawk pads, from the Blues up, also tend to crack rotors so don't use them on cross drilled ones.

I'm going to try the Pagids when Ford finishes fixing my caliper, the stock pads are at < 5mm in the front but the rotors look almost new so I think I can reuse them.

CaliMR said:
Hawks eat rotors, as Pete said, my rotors last through one set of pads on my 2800 lb (including driver) track car. I really like how they perform but I can't afford to run them on a car with this expensive of rotors.
He was using Carbotechs.......

PeteInCT

Connecticut
cloud9 said:
CaliMR said:
He was using Carbotechs.......

I meant what Pagid compound was he going to try.

cloud9 said:

I hear you. This is so frustrating. A guy that I was pitted next to had a set of PF01 so I bought a set from him. I don't expect them to last that long since they are slightly shorter than our stock pads. I guess they do make the same size pad though so I may order a set for Hastings. Not sure what I'm going to do. I don't track as much as I want because of funds and the brake pad situation is not helping. :mad:

PeteInCT said:
pufferfish said:

Yes, it is the stock LS brake cooilng setup. I should add to this though that when those temps were taken I was using Hawk DTC-60's in my rears and Pagid RS-29's up front. The DTC-60's were very aggressive pads that totally did a number on my rear rotors while the Pagids do not. I suspect that the temps may be a bit more balanced now that I have Pagids both front and rear (RS-14 front which is a little more aggressive than the RS-29's I was using - and RS-56's in the rears).

How much are you paying for the Pagids? I think I looked at the price previously for another application and they were quite a bit higher than other pads. The Porsche crowd seems to love them so they can't be too cheap. ;)

The PF01's arent bad, and pretty easy on rotors, compared to the Hawks. Price isn't TOO bad, I get them from Topbrakes.com. I'll likely get 2-3 track events out of the fronts.

Dean#4AI said:
cloud9 said:

I hear you. This is so frustrating. A guy that I was pitted next to had a set of PF01 so I bought a set from him. I don't expect them to last that long since they are slightly shorter than our stock pads. I guess they do make the same size pad though so I may order a set for Hastings. Not sure what I'm going to do. I don't track as much as I want because of funds and the brake pad situation is not helping. :mad:
It really is track dependent. I was at BIR for three days and a lot of the Porsche guys were complaining about how hard that track is on brakes. It's definitely a "power track" at 3.1 miles and only 10 turns. I just chuckled as I had brand new DTC70s in for the 3 day event and they're not quite half gone. I was passing all the cars in DE so not exactly taking it easy. Conversely at RA I went through a full set of fronts in 7 sessions. Go figure.

drano38

Wayne
I replaced my first set of Carbotech XP12 last weekend at BIR.
Here's the history:
BIR - 6 days (combined short and long course)
MAM - 3 days
Also changed NT-05 tires at same time, and they had 30 sessions on them (still had tread, but heat cycled out with lousy grip).
I'm normally not a threshold brake kind of guy, so mine will last a little longer than Gary's flat-out style ;).

drano38 said:
I replaced my first set of Carbotech XP12 last weekend at BIR.
Here's the history:
BIR - 6 days (combined short and long course)
MAM - 3 days
Also changed NT-05 tires at same time, and they had 30 sessions on them (still had tread, but heat cycled out with lousy grip).
I'm normally not a threshold brake kind of guy, so mine will last a little longer than Gary's flat-out style ;).
How are your street pads working without swapping out the rotors?

TMO Supporting Vendors