The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Caring For Your Vinyl Graphics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Lady

I've read several places where people are saying you can't wax the vinyl graphics on the BOSS. They actually need to be waxed to protect them from UV damage.

I have an 07 Corvette Indy Pace Car that has vinyl on the hood and down the full length of both sides . I paste wax it twice a year using Turtle Wax ICE and then use ICE detailer once a week. Whatever product you choose, just make sure it does not contain even a mild abrasive and says it's safe to use on vinyl.

When applying the paste I go with a very thin coat using a wet sponge applicator. I never wipe the vinyl with a dry cloth, only a microfiber cloth dampened with detailer. Also, don't use windshield washer fluid with Rain-X because it can damage the vinyl. When I added vinyl to the side and hood of my GT that warning was included with all the decals.

When the car needs washing on a roadtrip, I take it to a do-it-yourself and don't spray the vinyl directly but spray above and let it run down during the soap or rinse. I Hope these tips help keep your vinyl unscratched and looking as bright as the day you took delivery.

BossMan

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it would be ok to use a buffer such as the porter cable 7424 XP? I have a kit that came with foam pads with no cleaning or cutting ability.

My Friend who recently bought a brand new Camaro SS had some kind of simoniz treatment done to his car at the dealership. It cost about $700.00 bucks & was quaranteed for 6 or 7 years to protect the paint & bead water after a water rinse or rain. Seems like something like this would protect the vinyl decals as well. Maybe something to look into?

Boss Lady

I've never used a buffer on the vette although some people do. It's strictly a handwash/handwax vehicle just like the BOSS will be. I won't even polish using a circular motion. In a detailing seminar they told us using a circular motion when cleaning or polishing the car can cause swirl marks in the clear coat because you tend to press harder and stay in one spot longer. With a buffer most people don't change the pads often enough when doing the car. With a microfiber cloth you can keep turning it or just grab another cloth.

4pipes said:
Really easily scratched....ask me how I know.
Ok, how do you know?

This is a good topic. I keep my cars extremely clean. Sometimes I get them washed a couple of times a week. But I have to admit it has been years since I hand washed my cars(audible gasp). I always use touchless automatics. In the owers manual it is clear in instructing not to use car washes with tracks or power wands to avoid damage to the graphics. Is it a generally held opinion here then that touchless automatics (drive in, no tracks) are a no-no? Is everyone hand washing their cars?

I tried to remove a small spot on the hood with a soft, damp towel and I left small scratches in the vinyl. Scratch remover wouldn't remove it. Since I'll be getting road rash from the track, I really don't mind. I'm not a clear bra or blue tape fan......patina is ok with me.

I'll have it washed at a hand wash place with no tracks near me.

jimprw said:
This is a good topic. I keep my cars extremely clean. Sometimes I get them washed a couple of times a week. But I have to admit it has been years since I hand washed my cars(audible gasp). I always use touchless automatics. In the owers manual it is clear in instructing not to use car washes with tracks or power wands to avoid damage to the graphics. Is it a generally held opinion here then that touchless automatics (drive in, no tracks) are a no-no? Is everyone hand washing their cars?
I have run mine through a touchless automatic at least 10 times already Jim. I also had it detailed so it has a good coat of wax on it. I've run my GT500 through at least 100 times and no issues with the stripes. The only real issue with the tracks is clearance. Before I lowered my GT500 I ran it through the full service wash with a track with no issue. Once I lowered it, it wouldn't clear the track anymore. I am guessing the Boss will clear the track, but I prefer not handing the keys over to the teenagers at the car wash so I just run it through the touchless. It doesn't get dirty enough that it needs the full service wash anyway.

cloud9 said:
jimprw said:
I have run mine through a touchless automatic at least 10 times already Jim. I also had it detailed so it has a good coat of wax on it. I've run my GT500 through at least 100 times and no issues with the stripes. The only real issue with the tracks is clearance. Before I lowered my GT500 I ran it through the full service wash with a track with no issue. Once I lowered it, it wouldn't clear the track anymore. I am guessing the Boss will clear the track, but I prefer not handing the keys over to the teenagers at the car wash so I just run it through the touchless. It doesn't get dirty enough that it needs the full service wash anyway.
Thanks. Yeah, I'd never run it through a track wash. There aren't any around here anymore anyway. My main concern was weather the touchless jets were strong enough to chip the decals and from your experience it seems pretty clear I'm ok with the touchless option. The wax job is a must, I agree

Boss Lady

4pipes said:
I tried to remove a small spot on the hood with a soft, damp towel and I left small scratches in the vinyl. Scratch remover wouldn't remove it. Since I'll be getting road rash from the track, I really don't mind. I'm not a clear bra or blue tape fan......patina is ok with me.

I'll have it washed at a hand wash place with no tracks near me.

Just curious, what type of spot were you trying to remove?

Not sure what type of spot he had but I had a bird dive bomb the hood stripe and got the same minor scratches when I removed it with a soft cloth and warm soap and water. You can only see them in fluorescent light. Not a big deal but was surprised.

Boss Lady said:
I've never used a buffer on the vette although some people do. It's strictly a handwash/handwax vehicle just like the BOSS will be. I won't even polish using a circular motion. In a detailing seminar they told us using a circular motion when cleaning or polishing the car can cause swirl marks in the clear coat because you tend to press harder and stay in one spot longer. With a buffer most people don't change the pads often enough when doing the car. With a microfiber cloth you can keep turning it or just grab another cloth.
I use Griot's Garage Car Care products. He has an instructional video and in my opinion, it's the best stuff I've ever used. I have the six inch and three inch buffers. One of the nice things about the system are the different colored pads for polish and wax. He also has grades of polish and cleaning clay. Good stuff. Check out the website if you care to:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/

I think I remember the 3M Vinyl Stripes saying to wait a month before waxing (after applying).
They do seem to hold dirt/stain if you don't get some kind of protection on them. I have not had any problems with waxing them.

What about paint sealants such as Klasse? Klasse appears to offer superior protection and is long lasting -- when compared to waxes. Welcome comment.

BossMan

Aerospace 101 works very well on vinyl,rubber and plastic.

scott001313 said:
What about paint sealants such as Klasse? Klasse appears to offer superior protection and is long lasting -- when compared to waxes. Welcome comment.

Klasse All in One might be a good choice to use on the vinyl, I however have no experience with Klasse.

I think the key is to ensure you use something "non abrasive" on the vinyl.

I've had the boss for 7 months now. Hand wash about twice a month with two bucket system and good micro fiber. I am starting to notice some microscopic scratches on the hood decal - I guess they just can't be totally avoided. :(

One owner in this thread mentioned using Turtle Wax Ice on the graphics. Will that product (or any product you guys have experienced) remove these scratches, or are they permanent? I would guess permanent since this is vinyl.

Finally, what about buying an extra hood decal and saving it for the future? Anybody looked into the price? 10 years from now, would it still be usable, or turn to mush or get dry and crackled from sitting in the closet?

Thanks Fellas :)

It might be cheaper just to have it redone in paint and clear coated over, when the time comes. That is what I will do if the vinyl gets bad.

TMO Supporting Vendors