The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Carmin - T3 Project Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Figured after lurking around on the forums, I should go ahead and post my Mustang build and get some thoughts, helpful suggestions, and talk up and running.

This one is something that I've been meaning to start for a while, but only getting around to it this year after years of wanting to and not committing. Well, buying the thing was about the biggest step in committing and here we are.

My goal with this is to build it up over the next year or so and start aiming at running the car in SCCA T3. I've got a general idea of where I want to go with the car and what I want to bolt on and do to it, but as with any rule set, the SCCA GCR is sometimes as clear as mud. If anyone has any helpful interpretations on the rules for T3 (or the GCR in general) that would be greatly appreciated. Especially in the department of struts, shocks, and coilovers since that section gives me a headache trying to determine what, if anything, I can do in that department.

I've started my 3.7 build for now with the following bolt-ons:
- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace
- Dynotech 4" Aluminum Driveshaft

Yes, that's a short list.

I figured the brace was a cheap bolt on part that I was allowed to have under SCCA rules, since they have the caveat in Touring to allow the specified part or a like part. And the driveshaft was also a no brainer, since I don't want to try to repair a hole under my seat should I decide to go faster than the stock driveshaft can handle. I've been following Billy Johnson's thread on MotoIQ for a budget track S197 and decided on picking up a Eaton Truetrac LSD to go along with 3.55 gears and FRPP axle cover (M-4033-K, this one again, because T3 rules for the 3.7 Mustang allow it). Those will get installed shortly as well as a tune to get rid of the limiter and get it more suited for higher octane gas.

That's what I have so far in the books and on the plan sheet. I'll be going through more parts down the line as the year progresses. Like I mentioned above, if anyone has any helpful tips on the build or can help me translate some of the extra rulings from the SCCA GCR, that would greatly appreciated.

Thanks all. More to come later.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Welcome to the site.
You may want to consider tune sooner than later. Stock tune has a speed limit needed with the stock, fragile drive shaft. I believe Ford limited speed to 115mph In the 2013 V-6 I had. You will likely be getting close to that speed at BHK and definately over at Autobahn and RA.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Thanks!

Yeah, that is the next item on my list of things to do. I want to make sure that I don't have any issues with the speed limiter or the drive shaft, so it is getting tuned in addition to the rear axle work.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Welcome and post plenty of pics!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wheels and tires ( Ruby needs some new shoes ) are a big step , along with better brake pads initially. The one other item, as you can't do it all at once , would be a camber plate ( Vorshlag, M&M, Steeda, etc. ) as you really need a little negative attitude in the front ( Ruby has been too nice to everyone for too long ) end. Good luck , thanks for the post and you will be bombarded by suggestions from others on TMO during your entire " Build Process. " Let the games begin...........

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Yeah, I'll probably be okay with that. I need lots of suggestions and definitely don't mind the help. I'll see about posting some pictures after I get the rear diff worked on (not that there will be much difference visually).

I think I'll end up grabbing a set of EC-7s and putting on the some 275s initially. Since I'm not going wheel to wheel for a while, I can probably get away with some Firehawk Indy 500s (at least that's the initial plan. Are there major differences between the three camber plates you mentioned? I've been looking at the Maximum Motorsports plate, but I've seen others post that the Vorshlag is the one to go for.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get something wider or you will have to face the wrath of the Tire Guru ( Blacksheep 1 ) and I and numerous others will agree with him. The car is just too big, too heavy, for dinky donut 275s , so check out some 285 or 295s. There are definitely some better tire choices than Firepigeons 500s.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
WRT to plates, I've had both MM and Vorshlag. There is no comparison, Vorshlag is far and away better in terms of quality and the amount of negative camber you can get. The MM plate is lower quality, has weak hardware (bolts snapped) and the center bearing seized on mine which caused it to saw its way into a strut. Vorshlag costs more, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
I haven't seen the '11 V6 be allowed in T4. I do see the '05-'10 Mustang V6, which I had briefly considered (there was a yellow Phoenix prepared T4 that I saw for $15k a while back that I had considered).

Do you think T2 might be a better build goal since it does allow headers and cold air intake rather than having to add a restrictor (to meet T3 requirements) would be better? I've been considering that class, too, but being able to eventually compete at GRIDLIFE which has closer to T3 rules has been the primary motivator for building to T3.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
WRT to plates, I've had both MM and Vorshlag. There is no comparison, Vorshlag is far and away better in terms of quality and the amount of negative camber you can get. The MM plate is lower quality, has weak hardware (bolts snapped) and the center bearing seized on mine which caused it to saw its way into a strut. Vorshlag costs more, but in this case you get what you pay for.
Well, that makes it a bit easier to decide. Though I do wonder if using eccentric bolts would be a more cost effective alternative.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It may be cheaper, but just get one of the built systems , as you will likely end up doing that eventually anyway. You might look into the Steeda ones also , as I have a couple of friends using them and they seem pleased with them. But, as JDee noted, the Vorshlag ones are considered the top of the line by many!

I haven't seen the '11 V6 be allowed in T4. I do see the '05-'10 Mustang V6, which I had briefly considered (there was a yellow Phoenix prepared T4 that I saw for $15k a while back that I had considered).

Do you think T2 might be a better build goal since it does allow headers and cold air intake rather than having to add a restrictor (to meet T3 requirements) would be better? I've been considering that class, too, but being able to eventually compete at GRIDLIFE which has closer to T3 rules has been the primary motivator for building to T3.
yep, that was my car..

so the 11 ups are still T3,

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
yep, that was my car..

so the 11 ups are still T3,
Yeah. And likely only due to the Cyclone 3.7 being on par with the old 4.6L V8. Otherwise, it still probably would've been T4.

Can I pick your brain or get a rough parts list on what you had on the T4 Mustang? I'm still trying to interpret some of the GCR's wording on what is and isn't allowed on the Touring class cars.

Yeah. And likely only due to the Cyclone 3.7 being on par with the old 4.6L V8. Otherwise, it still probably would've been T4.

Can I pick your brain or get a rough parts list on what you had on the T4 Mustang? I'm still trying to interpret some of the GCR's wording on what is and isn't allowed on the Touring class cars.
sure

How many of the allowed parts did you end up putting on to the car when it was in T4 guise? And do you have any recommendations on linear spring rates/brands that would work well or that I should avoid?
The specific Ford kit is spelled out in the rules, so you don't get to pick. It had the 2011 brakes on it, and the 3.55 , 8 inch diff. However, they should let you run 3.55s in the stock 7.5 diff ( check with your local SCCA tech guy.) with a limited slip unit. It did not have headers on it, but had the offroad, dual exhaust and a Ford Racing cold air ntake. It also had an aluminum driveshaft.
That is pretty much all you could run, and for good reason. They want the class to be affordable

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
All good info from BS 1, but with both of us members of SCCA for decades the key sentence in his recommendations is -----------------------------------Check with the SCCA Tech guy!!!! Logic is not always even remotely rational with the rules set, so ask and ask again.

TMO Supporting Vendors