The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol Syntec 5w-50 vs Motorcraft 5w-50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Brandon302 said:
Why would you only do 5k on a full synthetic? Cheap insurance?

Because the your oil gets dirty independent ofmae performance of the oil. The dirt and addition contaminent compounds that build up in your oil is what causes wear in your engine. The oil itself can last longer than an non-synthetic but the dirt and carbon compounds start building up as soon as you add oil to your engine.

Manufacturers like Audi tell you to wait 10,000 miles. I ownned an Audi TTS (mofified) . I changed oil every 3000 miles or every 5 track hours, whichever came first .

PeteInCT said:
Because the your oil gets dirty independent ofmae performance of the oil. The dirt and addition contaminent compounds that build up in your oil is what causes wear in your engine. The oil itself can last longer than an non-synthetic but the dirt and carbon compounds start building up as soon as you add oil to your engine.

Manufacturers like Audi tell you to wait 10,000 miles. I ownned an Audi TTS (mofified) . I changed oil every 3000 miles or every 5 track hours, whichever came first .
This is beginning to tangent but did you ever tear down the motor of yours and say someone else's to see if it was all worth it?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Torn said:
Pete, was your Audi very heavily mofified?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

APR Stage 2+ w/Milltek exhaust, Eibach PTO springs and sway bars. 345 HP, 352 ft/lbs, 3100 lbs. Pretty quick.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Brandon302 said:
How long do you guys usually leave the Castrol in for? I have been using the oil gauge in the car, plus figuring how much I beat on it to determine when I should change it out. Just hit 6k on the Mobil1 currently in.

Gut feel for me on Castrol is 2 track weekends (4 days, 16-20 sessions). However, I do send off a sample to Blackstone Labs after each change and get a TBN. They are saying I could go an extra weekend, I just haven't done it.

Run what you like and change it often and you'll be fine I promise. ;D BTW the Motorcraft omits an additive and it is supposed to be easier on the cats. AFAIK that's the only reason why they do that.

JScheier said:
Gut feel for me on Castrol is 2 track weekends (4 days, 16-20 sessions). However, I do send off a sample to Blackstone Labs after each change and get a TBN. They are saying I could go an extra weekend, I just haven't done it.
This is something I need to do just to see how well the oil is doing.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel