The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol Syntec 5w-50 vs Motorcraft 5w-50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorry to step on some toes but first I must say, Amsoil is not an option for personal reasons.

Has anyone done any back to back oil analysis comparisons to these oils?? I've done the searches and have read about Motorcraft being an oil of dubious quality. Just wondering if someone has used a lab service to actually test the different oils.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
No labs test but I've been using Castrol Syntec (now Syntec Edge) for years. No issues. It's the brand of choice for Porsche and Audi. I have heard that Ford oil is actually Kendall.

-Pete

Castrol was better than Motorcraft.
There was a very indepth UOA done. I'll see if I can dig up the thread (found on another forum).
The short of it is that both are not very good. But if you will be religious with changing it out often, then you'll be fine.

IIRC Castrol sheers down 1 grade in oil within 1000 miles. Motorcraft did not fare better. I will dig up that thread...

FWIW I use Redline 5w50 only in my car (but it seeks track time--which I presume most others on this forum would as well).

EDIT: I think this is the thread. Lots of reading. Castrol info is in there somewhere:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/805918-official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.html

boro92 said:
Castrol was better than Motorcraft.
There was a very indepth UOA done. I'll see if I can dig up the thread (found on another forum).
The short of it is that both are not very good. But if you will be religious with changing it out often, then you'll be fine.

IIRC Castrol sheers down 1 grade in oil within 1000 miles. Motorcraft did not fare better. I will dig up that thread...

FWIW I use Redline 5w50 only in my car (but it seeks track time--which I presume most others on this forum would as well).

EDIT: I think this is the thread. Lots of reading. Castrol info is in there somewhere:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/805918-official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.html

I think the only issue with UnleashedBeast is that I don't believe he is certified to give out the advice he does. He says he fixes the computers of the experts. So I would take what he says with a grain of salt, even if he is right.

It's always like that, right? The guy running the "UOA" thread is always an amsoil dealer.... really hard to take advice from someone with such a conflict of interest.

Torsion said:
It's always like that, right? The guy running the "UOA" thread is always an amsoil dealer.... really hard to take advice from someone with such a conflict of interest.

This, he does have some good points, however I still feel like Ford knows that a 5w50 shears to a 5w30 and so they have built the motor to deal with that. Unleashed even says that you should get Royal Purple, I think it was, in a 5w50 because it will not shear, well then why not get a good oil that will shear and then stabilize.

RP does not make a 5-50, I like redline because it is ester based but there 5-50 oil will not shear so oil pressures are to high. Unleashed recommended 10-40 so that is what I switched over to. 2500 miles and no issues with 10-40. I'm even getting 1 more mile to the gallon....lol

chefron50 said:
RP does not make a 5-50, I like redline because it is ester based but there 5-50 oil will not shear so oil pressures are to high. Unleashed recommended 10-40 so that is what I switched over to. 2500 miles and no issues with 10-40. I'm even getting 1 more mile to the gallon....lol

That must have been what it was, in any event good to hear it is working, but I would rather be told by an engineer which oil to use.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
TMSBOSS said:
The graphite kills the converters....Correct?

I have never heard that and am doubtful its the case, I would be VERY surprised if their oil was incompatible with cats. What I have read (no evidence i have) is that the graphite can build up as deposits in the engine.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

I'm thinking of switching to Redline next season. If you purchase 5 gals at a time from Jegs the price isn't bad.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Castrol Edge 5w50 here. I was running the Motorcraft stuff almost exclusively before the price jumped to $14/quart (WTF?). I change the oil every two track events so it's not in there for too long anyways.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:
Castrol Edge 5w50 here. I was running the Motorcraft stuff almost exclusively before the price jumped to $14/quart (WTF?). I change the oil every two track events so it's not in there for too long anyways.

AZ, that's what I'm on now. Have been for a while....

How long do you guys usually leave the Castrol in for? I have been using the oil gauge in the car, plus figuring how much I beat on it to determine when I should change it out. Just hit 6k on the Mobil1 currently in.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Brandon302 said:
How long do you guys usually leave the Castrol in for? I have been using the oil gauge in the car, plus figuring how much I beat on it to determine when I should change it out. Just hit 6k on the Mobil1 currently in.

If you do not track your car, 5000 Max but I'd do 3000 miles if you plan on keeping the car long term. If you DO track your car, you can't change it often enough. I change every 5 to 8 track hours.

PeteInCT said:
If you do not track your car, 5000 Max but I'd do 3000 miles if you plan on keeping the car long term. If you DO track your car, you can't change it often enough. I change every 5 to 8 track hours.

Why would you only do 5k on a full synthetic? Cheap insurance?

TMO Supporting Vendors