The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol syntec versus mobil-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
I'm looking to change my oil soon and was wondering if I should put in Castrol Syntec or mobil-1 5W-50...I can get both for 8.49 a quart. Haven't went to the dealer yet to ask about motorcraft. For those who have changed their oil already, any opinions?

Also, is the correct filter the FL-500s or Fl-820S? I've read that both have been used, just wasn't sure if the dealer called for a particular one...

Thanks.

If you can get any - the order I would use is Motorcraft, Mobil 1 then the Castrol. I know the Castrol has been changed recently and I did grab some when Advanced had a sale on it but I have not read much into what was reformulated. Mobil 1 is a good oil but I personally prefer the Motorcraft if I can get it.

The book calls for a FL500S and I would use that over the regular 820S for several reasons like warranty. The only other filter I would use besides the Motorcraft 500S is the Ford Racing 820S filter.

BLAZN BOSS

The 820S and the 500 aren't interchangeable.............I was at the dealer last Friday and the parts room guy is a goo friend of mine.......I was trying to find a smaller filter for my dad's Mark VIII.........gaskets are different diameters.

I don't have any personal experience with Mobil 1, but I do have years of experience with Syntec and I would highly recommend it. I have a 91 Mustang GT with 130k on the odometer and it has been a daily driver and drag raced for all of it's life until I decided to upgrade and restore\rebuild the car. I recently took the engine apart and it looked almost brand new inside and everything was within spec's on all of the internals and still had a beautiful cross hatching on the cylinder walls.

That in my mind it one hell of a testimony.

The only 2 oils I found that met the Ford "B" spec (i.e. WARRANTY) were Motorcraft 5W50 synthetic and Castrol 5W50 synthetic. First off, there's not a lot of choices for 5W50 to begin with. If anyone is aware of other choices that comply with the factory spec, I would appreciate an update.

At any rate, I found a local auto parts shop that sells Motorcraft 5W50 for $7.36/qt. It's cheaper than I can find Castrol and it certainly can't raise warranty questions on oil selection.

Never thought much of Castrol. I always did like Mobil1, but these days I live about 2 miles from Pegasus Racing, who feed me all the Redline I need ;D

LateApex said:
Never thought much of Castrol. I always did like Mobil1, but these days I live about 2 miles from Pegasus Racing, who feed me all the Redline I need ;D

Ah, just checked the RedLine website and they DO have 5W50 synthetic that complies with the WSS-M2C931-B spec!
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21

That's certainly a VERY good option. I agree on your assessment of Castrol. I think the only really good product they have is 0W30 "European Formula" that comes from Germany. I run it in my WRX that has 176,000 miles on it.

ChuckP said:
LateApex said:

Ah, just checked the RedLine website and they DO have 5W50 synthetic that complies with the WSS-M2C931-B spec!
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21
Their website states: "Popular for 5.4L Supercharged Ford applications like Shelby GT 500 and Ford GT (WSS-M2C931-B)" Did you find where it states it meets WSS-M2C931-B spec? Outside of Motorcraft Redline would be my choice but I didn't think it met the Ford specs. I understand it's probably much better but am concerned about warranty issues if it doesn't meet the spec.

It's cheaper and more convenient for me to go to the dealer and have them install Motorcraft. If I was going 10,000+ miles between oil changes I'd be worried about the Motorcraft breaking down but I'll be changing mine every 2-3,000 with track days mixed in there.

"Their website states: "Popular for 5.4L Supercharged Ford applications like Shelby GT 500 and Ford GT (WSS-M2C931-B)" Did you find where it states it meets WSS-M2C931-B spec? Outside of Motorcraft Redline would be my choice but I didn't think it met the Ford specs. I understand it's probably much better but am concerned about warranty issues if it doesn't meet the spec. "
Since they list the "B" spec on the web page that would open them up serious legal liability if the oil did not in fact meet that spec. I guess it should be easy enough to confirm. I'm with you on warranty concerns. That's why I'm using the Motorcraft stuff for now. I had factory fill that I drained at 2750 miles analyzed and it had already broken down to 5W40. Otherwise it looked fine for a "break-in" oil analysis. I'll be changing again with 3 track events and another 1200 miles on the current fill and will be curious to see how the analysis comes out on that sample.

I had been a Mobil 1 guy for quite a few years, but a buddy of mine had been in my ear about using Redline on the Boss. I had similar concerns, but I talked with my engine builder and with Redline Tech Support. I was assurred by everyone I talked to that this oil cleared Ford's specs.

In any case, I am running it now. I'll probably need to wait until next year to get analysis done now - I have less than 3k miles on the car, and it's getting close to that time of the year when the Boss hibernates. Doing oil analysis that early into motor wear and break-in yields all kinds of screwy results, so likely it will be next spring. However, there is no engine tick whatsoever, no rough starts, and temps on the track stay where they should. I run this with a K&N oil filter. So far, so good.

Now I have always run Redline gear oil and transmission fluid in my racecars, and am doing so on the Boss. Lightweight Shockproof for the Torsen, which was recommended by both Redline and Torsen, and MTL for my transmission, which has had ZERO issues since changing, and shifts unbelievably smooth. Highly recommended.

LateApex said:
I had been a Mobil 1 guy for quite a few years, but a buddy of mine had been in my ear about using Redline on the Boss. I had similar concerns, but I talked with my engine builder and with Redline Tech Support. I was assurred by everyone I talked to that this oil cleared Ford's specs.

In any case, I am running it now. I'll probably need to wait until next year to get analysis done now - I have less than 3k miles on the car, and it's getting close to that time of the year when the Boss hibernates. Doing oil analysis that early into motor wear and break-in yields all kinds of screwy results, so likely it will be next spring. However, there is no engine tick whatsoever, no rough starts, and temps on the track stay where they should. I run this with a K&N oil filter. So far, so good.

Now I have always run Redline gear oil and transmission fluid in my racecars, and am doing so on the Boss. Lightweight Shockproof for the Torsen, which was recommended by both Redline and Torsen, and MTL for my transmission, which has had ZERO issues since changing, and shifts unbelievably smooth. Highly recommended.
That's great news but if they meet Ford's spec I wish they would put it on their website. I'm planning on changing my tranny and diff oils soon and will use Redline products.

Eh, I understand why they don't. Lots of cars use that oil.

On a side note - Motorcraft 5w50 is notorious for shearing pretty quickly, down to roughly a 40 or 30 weight oil. Now I can understand running a 50 weight for the track, but for the street? That is a bit thick, and with more and more folks complaining of harsh start-up and ticking... Ford has stated numerous times that Motorcraft oil performs the way they want it to. So, if you are changing out oil for a track day, then fine, it'll stay 50 weight for a weekend, sure, and you are covered. But for 3-5000 miles on the street? That stuff will be 40 weight or less inside of 1000 miles. Maybe, then, Ford is saying a 30 or 40 weight is appropriate for the street.

Now I'm not saying I am going to do that, but if I did, I would be far from the first one to do so. Food for thought... /boggle

Can someone point me to a location that sells Mobil 1 5w-50 full Synthetic? It is offerred in Europe and AU, but the Mobil 1 rep at the SCCA National Championships stated that they do not offer it here in the US. The rep indicated that their 0W-50 is excellent for frequent oil changers and racing applications while their 15w-50 is a better all around/temp oil for the Boss motor.

I've been told that Castrol is owned by Ford (Motorcraft). Not a lot of choices out there.

Dave

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/98hf24.html

There is your Mobil 1 source. On the Castrol - don't know about that. Motorcraft is actually a Conoco-Phillips product, that I do know.

LateApex said:
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/98hf24.html

There is your Mobil 1 source. On the Castrol - don't know about that. Motorcraft is actually a Conoco-Phillips product, that I do know.

$10.66 a quart, ouch, including shipping from CA. to MI.

I'll stick with Motorcraft.

Thanks though!

Dave

"I'm planning on changing my tranny and diff oils soon and will use Redline products."

I changed my diff oil last month and went with Royal Purple. So far it seems to be great on street and track (2 days on track with it). Does not need friction modifier...already in the stuff. Very annoying that the very nice finned diff cover has no drain plug and needs to be filled from the front of the diff. Had to use a pump to pump out the old and pump in the new. I think the next time my diff is due for an oil change I'll pull the diff cover and bring it to a machine shop to have it drilled and tapped for fill and drain plugs.

Ive got 750 miles on the odometer. should i change the oil? All street driving but should the oil be changed as part of the breaking in of the engine? May go with the Redline although I don't know a thing about oil. Like the name ::) ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors