The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol syntec versus mobil-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racing oil demands are different from street cars or even modded track toys. F1 has a 8 race motor rule, but not an 8 race oil rule that I know of. Just like how some brake fluids should not be used in street cars unless you want to flush them every month.

Using the same brand as race teams also is not necessarily a good way to go about it, as the street oil may still be junk. Like how Mitsubishi made some pretty bad ass race cars but the street versions ate trannies, transfer cases and the paint basically fell off after a few years.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Just a heads up for those folks who have BJ's Wholesale Club membership, today's coupon book had 10$ off a 6pk of Mobil 1 for a final cost of 26.99$ So don't throw that coupon booklet away!

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Just keep it in mind folks that neither one of these two oils meets Ford's stringent specs for motor oils for the Boss. If you should ever have an issue with your 12000 dollar Boss 302 motor or internals and cannot demonstrate to Ford you have been using their speced oils they could legally void your warranty. The only oils I personally have found that comply with Ford's specs are Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic, Redline 5w50 synthetic, and Quaker State Ultimate Synthetic 5w50. This is not to say that other oils are not as good. It's just a matter of whether these oils have been actually tested and shown that they meet Ford's standards. So if you are not using these particular oils, you do so at your own risk.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Just checked and the Mobil 1 at BJ's was only for 5w-30 or 10W-30.... So Royal Purple isn't 'on the approved list either' ? I don't mean to rehash another oil war here, just wanted to know what the deal is...

Dvendet

ace72ace said:
Just checked and the Mobil 1 at BJ's was only for 5w-30 or 10W-30.... So Royal Purple isn't 'on the approved list either' ? I don't mean to rehash another oil war here, just wanted to know what the deal is...
I have not researched every oil. Mobil 1 is definately not Ford speced. I have not checked Royal Purple.

MMD

Mobil 1 is available in 5W50 you just have to look a bit harder. I think it was Napa that recently had it on sale for $5.99 a quart. Most of the major auto parts suppliers can order it if you ask.

Dvendet

ace72ace said:

I just went to Royal Purple's web site and looked through their online catalog. They do not offer a 5W50 synthetic oil and do not offer a oil that meets Ford's spec WSS-M2C931-B.
Once again, this is not to say that this oil is not the greatest oil on the planet. It just has not been Ford certified. I am unaware of the procees used to certify. I tend to think that it is up to the oil developer to certify the oil against various standards. I don't think Ford tests everyone's oil for them.

MMD

I'm a Mobile 1 guy (many turbo/import guys are) but I wouldn't use the regular Mobile 1 in the Boss. Only the Extended Performance if they have it in 5w50, especially if you are tracking it, because I have seen differences in the two types tracking a car with an oil cooled turbo.

Dvendet

CaliMR said:
I'm a Mobile 1 guy (many turbo/import guys are) but I wouldn't use the regular Mobile 1 in the Boss. Only the Extended Performance if they have it in 5w50, especially if you are tracking it, because I have seen differences in the two types tracking a car with an oil cooled turbo.
Me personally - I would not use Mobil 1 as it not certified as meeting Ford spec. It is a warrenty concern I would have using this oil. So you Cali would use a non-Ford certified oil on a 12000 dollar motor and not worry about voiding you warranty? You must be very, very rich! I want to be your friend.

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:
Me personally - I would not use Mobil 1 as it not certified as meeting Ford spec. It is a warrenty concern I would have using this oil.

MMD
I think people worry too much about that. Have you ever heard of someone being denied warranty work because Ford checked the oil and it didn't meet their specs? Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil and Royal Purple should be fine and possibly better than the Ford spec. Keep in mind I'm using the Ford full synthetic mainly because it's cheaper to have the dealer change my oil than doing it myself. If I was doing it myself I'd use Mobil 1 or Redline.

Dvendet

5 DOT 0 said:
MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:
Me personally - I would not use Mobil 1 as it not certified as meeting Ford spec. It is a warrenty concern I would have using this oil.

MMD
I think people worry too much about that. Have you ever heard of someone being denied warranty work because Ford checked the oil and it didn't meet their specs? Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil and Royal Purple should be fine and possibly better than the Ford spec. Keep in mind I'm using the Ford full synthetic mainly because it's cheaper to have the dealer change my oil than doing it myself. If I was doing it myself I'd use Mobil 1 or Redline.
5Dot - I just want to cover my a** from a legal stand point. Go back and take a look at all the discussion regarding the MT82 tranny. If you read through the complaints and Ford's response to the NHTSA investigation than yes you will find that Ford did revoke some people's warrenties for various reasons cited by Ford. So yes, Ford can and will void warrenties if they believe you do not follow therir recommendations. I just want to cover my rather large butt over a $12000 rocket motor.

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:
Me personally - I would not use Mobil 1 as it not certified as meeting Ford spec. It is a warrenty concern I would have using this oil. So you Cali would use a non-Ford certified oil on a 12000 dollar motor and not worry about voiding you warranty? You must be very, very rich! I want to be your friend.

MMD

No, I said not to do it. They don't have an EP version of the 5w50, but if they come out with one it will probably meet the spec. I am only going to use the Ford fluids in this car, at least for now. And if they voided my warranty because I didn't use Ford oil, they would have to prove it was the cause. I know several people who have been through similar fights with other brands, but Ford has always been good to me. Also, it doesn't need to be Ford certified, it just needs to meet the spec. Sort of a nitpicky distinction, but you are an engineer iirc so you know how that kind of specificity is important.

So, picked up some 5w-50 Castrol Edge: Syntec on sale. Got home and looked at the bottle more closely and it keeps saying its for "Classic Cars". I get online and learn that Castrol changed there formula and it no longers qualifies for Ford's B Spec. Should I return this stuff, or are people running it anyways?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_edge-with-syntec-technology-full-synthetic-5w-50-motor-oil-(1-qt-)-castrol_8020612-p?searchTerm=5w-50

I found this thread for the GT500 and the vibe there is no, don't run it:
http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13190

I just got me 1 quart of motorcraft top off oil from the dealer when i got my 1st free oil change and dam if it doesn't say made in korea!

Yes, that is one reason I'm interested in not using the motorcraft oil. I prefer to buy American designed & made whenever possible. Not interested in starting a debate on this topic, just stating my preference.

Looks like only viable option that meets spec is Motorcraft, Redline and Quakerstate. Now to find them...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
And I'm still using Castrol Syntec Edge... If it was good enough for my Audi and its' 2.0L 345 HP 4 banger with 24 lbs of boost then I assume my roadrunner engine won't have a problem with it.

Oil choices are like politics and religion, we all know we are right ;D

Motorcraft 5W-50. Recommended, works and I don't have to think about it. My local dealer cuts me a deal at $8.50/QT

PeteInCT said:
Oil choices are like politics and religion, we all know we are right ;D

You ain't a-kiddin' Pete! Almost nothing gets a forum of gearheads arguing like the topic of motor oil. We all like to think we're chemical engineers.

Well, I trust the opinions on this board, as you guys usually seem to know what you are talking about. ;)
I was just put off by the Castrol bottle saying "For classic cars" are all over it, almost like it was a high mileage blend or something.

As a side note, my local dealer wants over $13 a bottle for Motorcraft after tax. :/

TMO Supporting Vendors