The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol syntec versus mobil-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
This is so funny. I started this thread thinking I'd go with either castrol,mobile 1 or motorcraft. I can get all 3 here but the dealer sells motorcraft for 13 bucks a quart! I can get mobil-1 or castrol for 8.30 a quart...I use redline oil in my truck all the time. I also use redline for my truck manual transmission and differential oil... I was originally gonna use redline for the boss.. but saw that most ppl were using motorcraft or castrol for warranty issues... I f I can use it for the boss. that would be awesome. Love the product.

I would warn you away from the Royal Purple. It has quite a bit of graphite in it, which will sludge on you over time. More than one engine builder has told me that, actually.

Motorcraft produces quality products. Everyone that I have talked to has said the same thing. Very high quality stuff. Check out kmanparts.com. I have also taken lower prices on the internet and showed them to my dealer to get better deals...

Me personally I will run the Motorcraft fluids. High quality and no worries about warranty....

adam81 said:
Motorcraft produces quality products. Everyone that I have talked to has said the same thing. Very high quality stuff. Check out kmanparts.com. I have also taken lower prices on the internet and showed them to my dealer to get better deals...

Me personally I will run the Motorcraft fluids. High quality and no worries about warranty....

No need to guess, no need for opinion or conjecture... Check out http://bobistheoilguy.com . Everything you would ever want to know about oil is there.

LateApex said:
adam81 said:

No need to guess, no need for opinion or conjecture... Check out http://bobistheoilguy.com . Everything you would ever want to know about oil is there.

So much so that it will take you a year or two of reading to shift through everything and see what is the truth.... Don't get me wrong it is a very informative place. The geniuses talk right over my head, and the pretend to be geniuses do the same.... I can't tell what is good info and what is bad. That's why I call Ford Racing...the people that engineered the car and get straight honest feedback from the racers that beat on it...and ask them what they think...

That's one way to look at it. Another would be to look at what racers are using who don't have an oil sponsor they are wedded to.

Anyway, yes, BITOG is quite technical, but it's staggering how many race techs and engine builders post there. I guess I am just saying that I am not trying to convince anyone of anything per se - rather, that the research has already been done, and it's accessible to anyone. Don't believe me, believe the science, and draw your own conclusions based on sound data and fundamentals. Better still, if you don't trust the science there - try whatever oil you like, have your samples analyzed, and see what is actually happening in your motor ;D. But do post up your results if you do!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
LateApex said:
Don't believe me, believe the science, and draw your own conclusions based on sound data and fundamentals. Better still, if you don't trust the science there - try whatever oil you like, have your samples analyzed, and see what is actually happening in your motor ;D. But do post up your results if you do!

QFT! $25 to have your oil analyzed. I ran Castrol 0w30 in my M3 for almost 10 years. BITOG recommended it, so I tried it, sent of samples, lo and behold, they were right.

I ran the same 0w30 in the Boss for the first change... samples came back excellent, but there was some shearing. I've now got the correct weight Castrol in there and will be pulling that for a sample before I put it up for the winter.

FWIW, I've had really bad luck with Royal Purple. Not going to bash them, but I won't be using their motor oils or gear oil. Transmission Fluid seems good (SynchroMax) based on analysis.

LateApex said:
That's one way to look at it. Another would be to look at what racers are using who don't have an oil sponsor they are wedded to.

Anyway, yes, BITOG is quite technical, but it's staggering how many race techs and engine builders post there. I guess I am just saying that I am not trying to convince anyone of anything per se - rather, that the research has already been done, and it's accessible to anyone. Don't believe me, believe the science, and draw your own conclusions based on sound data and fundamentals. Better still, if you don't trust the science there - try whatever oil you like, have your samples analyzed, and see what is actually happening in your motor ;D. But do post up your results if you do!

Agree 100% with the above... I wasn't bashing you in my above post. I used BITOG many different times to see what was the recommended oil in my cars. I tried it sent off some samples, and yep they were right.. I was just saying it takes a while to understand everything over there and it will take a while. Once you got it though it is fairly smooth sailing.

JScheier said:
LateApex said:
Don't believe me, believe the science, and draw your own conclusions based on sound data and fundamentals. Better still, if you don't trust the science there - try whatever oil you like, have your samples analyzed, and see what is actually happening in your motor ;D. But do post up your results if you do!

QFT! $25 to have your oil analyzed. I ran Castrol 0w30 in my M3 for almost 10 years. BITOG recommended it, so I tried it, sent of samples, lo and behold, they were right.

I ran the same 0w30 in the Boss for the first change... samples came back excellent, but there was some shearing. I've now got the correct weight Castrol in there and will be pulling that for a sample before I put it up for the winter.

FWIW, I've had really bad luck with Royal Purple. Not going to bash them, but I won't be using their motor oils or gear oil. Transmission Fluid seems good (SynchroMax) based on analysis.

YOU NEED TO RUN 5w50!!!! Call Ford or better yet Ford Racing and talk to them about it. There is something in the engine (part of the camshaft operation) that operates off of a specific oil pressure that 5w50 creates. There were some other reasons as well. It does not have to be motorcraft but it does have to be 5w50. I talked to Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing when I was picking his brain about some stuff. I mentioned oil and he told me 5w50 only. Please don't quote me on any of what happened up there.... I can't remember 100% if this is what happened. They were running something else and started hearing noises from the motors, and having camshaft sensor issues, and if I remember right one of the cars didn't finish a race. They talked to the motor engineer at Ford Racing at they discovered they were running the wrong oil. 5w50 is needed for the above reasons I mentioned. They put that stuff in whala..... no more issues.

But do what you want........

blazer1 said:
Anyone familiar with Amsoil? I can get that easier than Motorcraft or Mobil 1.

Amsoil is an excellent product. Problem is I don't think they currently have a 5W50 that meets the Ford "B" spec.

wrongway said:
Thanks adam81. will do.

Anytime... I would then do your next change at 3k miles and then maintain a 3k mile interval from then on. I tend to be a maintenance nazi.... However your car will love you for it and reward you accordingly... If you track the car change oil after every 4 track day. You could be okay with the tranny and rear diff fluid for a season, but I change mine out twice a year. I have already changed my rear diff fluid and tranny fluid and my car has about 3k miles on it.

BLAZN BOSS

The amsoil dealer here where I live told me he doesnt have any 5W-50 listed.

Normally I run Castrol Syntec but I called the dealer and I couldn't beat the price for complete oil change with Motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic for $89.95 so I guess I'll be getting my oil changed at the dealer as long as they keep the price.

TMO Supporting Vendors