The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol syntec versus mobil-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss1309 said:
Went to a SVT Ford dealer up here in Canada ,and all he had in stock was Mobile 1 in the 5w50. Says that's all they sell for use in the GT500's.

You will be just fine with the Mobil 1 as long as it is 5w50...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I like Adam 81s suggestion -- 4 track days, change the oil. Cheap insurance and something alot of track guys seem to let go on and on before changing. Just my humble opinion , but I am religious on changing fluids and rear end fluid is the other one that gets neglected and should be changed based on usage,not mileage.

MrGT5oh said:
Normally I run Castrol Syntec but I called the dealer and I couldn't beat the price for complete oil change with Motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic for $89.95 so I guess I'll be getting my oil changed at the dealer as long as they keep the price.
That's a deal, my local Dealer (not where I purchased my Boss) wants $125.00 for the oil and filter and that's not changing it either, I would still have to do the change myself!

PeteInCT said:
Does anyone know who manufactures Motorcraft synthetic 5W-50 ?
Phillips-Conoco?

I heard from a reputable source it is rebranded Mobil 1...... ??? I heard from another reputable source, one I believe wholeheartedly, is that it is a VERY good oil....

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
For those that want to stock up on Castrol , 5-50W is on sale for 5.99 at O'Reilly's. The manager said if it is not stocked in your area just to ask for it to be ordered and they can get it at the sale price - good through 4/10/2010.

Just an FYI

Hi Guys,

I've read to many oil threads and my mind blends some of the info together. Does the Mobil and/or Castrol meet the recommend Ford B-Spec for 5w-50?

Thanks.

Mobil 1 is not what it used to be, the turbo import community has had issues with it a few years back and people pretty much abandoned it. Apparently the old Mobil 1 true full synthetic is what they now brand as Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and the new regular Mobil 1 is cracked hydrocarbons thus legally "full synthetic" but not a true lab created base. Does it matter? Maybe not in the Boss, but in modded turbo track cars people were having issues with the new regular M1. M1 EP is supposed to be as good as pretty much anything on the market, but isn't available in 5w-50. I will be running the factory juice unless an issue comes up, but I also tend to do an oil change before every track.

adam81 said:
I heard from a reputable source it is rebranded Mobil 1...... ??? I heard from another reputable source, one I believe wholeheartedly, is that it is a VERY good oil....

It is more than likely Kendall 5w50 TropArctic considering it was the only oil from Conoco/Phillips that met both Ford A&B spec. I am 99% sure that it is not rebranded Mobil 1 considering every other motorcraft oil product is from Kendall and Kendall made a Ford Spec 5w50. I will sort of agree and say it is good oil, but for the price there are much better options in my opinion. They don't market or sell anything in 5w50 under the Kendall name that I can find anymore.

Fordman9870 said:
zwede said:
Mobil1 5W-50 is currently on sale at NAPA for $5.79/qt.

my napa guys didnt have any and said they couldn't get it and wanted to know if it was for a race care. I said yep!!

Sounds like a lazy NAPA guy. MOB 98HF24 is NAPA's number for it.

One thing I do wish is that we could get more concrete info on what is the best oil out there. We all have our preferences and the "so and so said" stuff, but really, you can't find independent studies or info. All I want to know is what brand does NASCAR, F1, Indy REALLY use. Not what they sponsor. I'm sure they use race specific formulas but if they trust say Mobil 1, then I would trust it. Too much hearsay and opinions. I'm sure there is an oil most pro race teams trust but maybe not. Just rambling. By the way, I do trust Mobil 1, then I hear someone say they aren't good anymore. But they are all over race cars. So, who knows. I used the motorcraft for my first change, looking at options for second. If I go to Barber next week and ask the Boss teams what they really use, I will go with that.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMHO - To be honest I don't think it matters much at all unless you are trying to stretch the life of the oil. A quaility, fully synthetic 5W-50 from Motorcraft, Castrol, Mobil 1, etc. is more than adequate. If you track the car, change it VERY often. Some guys do it after every event. It's not inexpensive but the the quaility of the oil (these days) isn't your enemy as much as it is the carbon (and associated other gunk) buildup in the oil itself.

Tflong24 said:
One thing I do wish is that we could get more concrete info on what is the best oil out there. We all have our preferences and the "so and so said" stuff, but really, you can't find independent studies or info. All I want to know is what brand does NASCAR, F1, Indy REALLY use. Not what they sponsor. I'm sure they use race specific formulas but if they trust say Mobil 1, then I would trust it. Too much hearsay and opinions. I'm sure there is an oil most pro race teams trust but maybe not. Just rambling. By the way, I do trust Mobil 1, then I hear someone say they aren't good anymore. But they are all over race cars. So, who knows. I used the motorcraft for my first change, looking at options for second. If I go to Barber next week and ask the Boss teams what they really use, I will go with that.

I don't know about Nascar but some of the F1 teams have contracts with oil manufacturers who are constantly tweaking their formulas for optimum performance. McLaren is currently parternered with Exxon/Mobil and has been for a while. These formulas aren't publically available and are currently changing based on performance demands and current regulations. For instance, now that teams are required to use the same motor for 8 races and have a limited number of motors they can use without incuring a penalty, there has been a push for reliability over maximum performance in recent years. IMHO, stick with anything full synthetic in the appropriate weight and you wil be fine. For extended track use, I would look at running a mostly ester based oil from Redline, Motul 300v, Castrol TWS 10W60 ( shears quickly to a medium 40 weight and stablizes), or a blend of Mobil racing 5w50 and standard Mobil 5w50 because the additives in the Mobil racing oil are not designed for a street car and might reduce the lifespan of your catlytic converters. There are other brands to consider as well and if you want know everything you could evr want to know about oil, go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.

TMO Supporting Vendors