The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cat-delete question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im looking to buy some cat-deletes for the Boss and i've heard good things about Jegs and Steeda, the thing I haven't seen answered is if you can use a handheld tuner or whatever that gets rid of the code or if i have to take it in to get it tuned? If some of the fellow boss owners could help a youngster out it'd be greatly appreciated ;D

I have the steeda deletes on my car and my sct tuner was able to reprogram it so it didn't throw a code.

I have the Jegs stainless steel cat delets and the SCT hand held tuner from Steeda. Call Steeda for your tune to turn off the rear O2 sensor.
http://www.steeda.com/sct-mustang-x4-custom-tuner-388-7015/

2012Boss302 said:
I have Jeg's cat delete pipes, SCT Tuner, and AED tune. You will have to buy the SCT Tuner anyway so pony up the extra $250 with Shaun at AED and get it tuned, you will be glad you did....
superhero said:
I have the Jegs stainless steel cat delets and the SCT hand held tuner from Steeda. Call Steeda for your tune to turn off the rear O2 sensor.
http://www.steeda.com/sct-mustang-x4-custom-tuner-388-7015/
Thank you so much for the helpful answers ill give them a call and order it today :)

I use the Jegs cat deletes. I don't use a custom tune. I use trac Key. You will get a CEL but the motor runs great. You might have to reinstall your side exhaust plates. It's really loud with out them.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Seca954:

Are you running any other intake or exhaust mods? Also how do you monitor for proper AFR's?

Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Seca954:

Are you running any other intake or exhaust mods? Also how do you monitor for proper AFR's?

Dave
302 Hi Pro

I use a 90mm throttle body and a KN filter. I never had a CEL until I installed the cat deletes. I didn't notice much power from the intake side. IMO more power will be gained from the exhaust. I don't monitor my AFR's. I find it hard to believe that a N/A motor will blow up the way I drive. I don't road race. I occasionally drag race the car.

Little off topic.. we are talking about A/F. Is there a gauge that one can install on our mustangs that monitor A/F at a glance. and if so where would it connect to?

I'm old schooled and never had to be concerned about this also. I read alot and this topic of A/F is somewhat a part of a MOD up-date in our cars. If you change the CAI or Throddel body and dont race your car but as the Seca954 stated he will take it to the strip once in a while. Is it a BIG concern?? Are these motors that fragile??
This is a topic that leaves me somewhat confused also. I wish there was a guide that one could follow about installing parts that will need to have the A/F changed. Such as a Steeda / PJ CAI. Will that change in CAI burn up a motor. Or Cat Delets and same as a TB. To go to FI is completely understanding. But where do you draw the line if you use your Boss for just a toy visiting the strip or track just to have fun for a day.
I guess while I'm asking questions. what is the proper AF setting and where should one be concerned. Is not enough air just as bad as to much air? I need to be schooled on this one.
Please dont beat me up as I'm just trying to understand and learn whats best for my car with what ever MODS I choose to go with ;D.

TMO Supporting Vendors