The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cat Delete Spark Plug Fowler Myth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI. I installed Cat deletes a few months ago. I read that installing two spark plug fowlers between the O2 sensors and the exhaust would trick the computer. It does not trick the computer. I even tried a third spark plug fowler. The CEL comes on after about 20 miles of driving. The good news is that the car runs fine. I still haven't been able to get the car to the drag strip to determine if it's really making more power.

2012Boss302 said:
Did you get the required AED tune to go with those cat deletes??

No, I didn't get a tune because I love track key. If I pick up mph in the 1/4 mile, I'll know it's making more power. If it makes more power, I'll live with the CEL. If I don't pick up mph, I'll put the cats back on. If I ever get a tune, it'll be because I install a cobra jet intake, or a blower, or both.

Update. My CEL went away today. My air inlet temp was showing 116 degrees. I was driving around in traffic all day. The inlet temp never went below 100 degrees. The reason I mention the temp is that the CEL always comes on as I'm driving on the Highway where the inlet temp is always lower. Is it possible that out side air temp has something to do with O2 sensors thinking the Cats are still there? Bear in mind I have three spark plug anti fowlers screwed together in front of the O2 sensors now.

Most O2 or A/F sensors need to be a certain temp to operate correctly. CATs usually help heat the sensors and maintain them at a certain temp. Some sensors have built-in heaters, not sure if our sensors have the heaters or not. but these are some of the things to consider as well when experimenting with foulers.

have you read the code lately? I believe there's a specific code out there just for sensors not being up to the operating temp.

F.D. Sako said:
Most O2 or A/F sensors need to be a certain temp to operate correctly. CATs usually help heat the sensors and maintain them at a certain temp. Some sensors have built-in heaters, not sure if our sensors have the heaters or not. but these are some of the things to consider as well when experimenting with foulers.

have you read the code lately? I believe there's a specific code out there just for sensors not being up to the operating temp.

There is no code now. When there was a code it said there was an issued with the catalytics. I don't recall exactly what it read.

TMO Supporting Vendors